Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking

• 27-02-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

So the place I work in has a car park outside it but it's maximum stay of 3 hours so we can't park there during the day. Around the corner there's a residential road with no double yellow lines or anything and the 2 of us that drive park around on that road. I generally park outside the house of someone I know who has no problem with me parking there but sometimes there will be a car there already and I have to park somewhere else.

This morning I parked outside a house a bit further down the road, and started to walk around to work when someone pulled up in a car and said that was his house and he wanted to park there. Now I was already half way up the road and there was no other parking that wouldnt block someone's driveway. I told him there was still plenty of room to park, I wasn't blocking anyone and I needed to get to work at which point he shouted at me that he was going to block me in so when I finished work I wouldn't be able to get home. So he proceeded to park about a centimetre from my bumper and I had to go to work.

Now I'm dreading going back around after work - I'm a bit intimidated about knocking on the door and asking him to move. Do I have any options if he refuses??

We've had issues with people before shouting at us, leaving notes on the cars etc so am not looking forward to it at all

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's not his land, so you do have a right to park there. If you are blocked in, call the Gardai and say you don't know who owns the car, and they will sort something out. Just don't park there again though, as your car might start developing dents/scratches!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

If it was me and i was willing to take him at his word that it was his house then i would have apologised,walked back and moved my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I really really really can't understand why some people assume that it's their automatic right to park outside their house on a street.

I park a fair bit in Swords and when I am going to the Pavillions and it is packed, I park in the estate beside it. I keep getting love letters from the woman across the road from whose house I park outside saying "don't do this again etc"

There's no yellow lines and you're not causing an obstruction. Screw him !

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

He dont own the space if you have any problems just call the gardai they will move his car if your blocked in, at the end of the day unless he actually has legal rights on the land ie drive way there is sweet f*** all he can do. Apart from scratch your car and dent it because hes annoyed, wouldnt park the car there again tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

It's not his land and it's not prohibited parking so you are not doing wrong.

Did you address the problem to your company you work for?

Our company arranged extra space from another company opposite the street since they have plenty of empty slots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭creedp

sonyvision wrote: »
    He dont own the space if you have any problems just call the gardai they will move his car if your blocked in, at the end of the day unless he actually has legal rights on the land ie drive way there is sweet f*** all he can do. Apart from scratch your car and dent it because hes annoyed, wouldnt park the car there again tho

He must lead a fairly sheltered life if he is not used to people parking outside his house in a non-allocated on street parking set-up. Reality is he has no right to argue as he has no legal or other right to park in front of his own house. I'm sure if you knock on his door and apologise profusely thereby giving hs ego a massage he will move and you'll be fine as long as you park in front of somebody else's door in future. I lived on such a street until recently and always had this issue. It is a pain when you have to park away up the street and you have 3 kids and gear/shopping etc to unload in the rain.. but those are the breaks. I never minded that much when it was a stranger but what really p1ssed me off was when neighbours used do it even though they knew who owned the house. One particular neighbour from across the street parked right in front of my house regularly even though no one was parking outside her door. She used to keep it free for visitors!! THis wold happen even if it meant I would have to park a long way from my door. I was often tempted to park at her door but that would have meant getting across the street with kids .. easier to stay on own side even if further to travel. Some people have no cop on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

creedp wrote: »
    sonyvision wrote: »

He must lead a fairly sheltered life if he is not used to people parking outside his house in a non-allocated on street parking set-up. Reality is he has no right to argue as he has no legal or other right to park in front of his own house. I'm sure if you knock on his door and apologise profusely thereby giving hs ego a massage he will move and you'll be fine as long as you park in front of somebody else's door in future. I lived on such a street until recently and always had this issue. It is a pain when you have to park away up the street and you have 3 kids and gear/shopping etc to unload in the rain.. but those are the breaks. I never minded that much when it was a stranger but what really p1ssed me off was when neighbours used do it even though they knew who owned the house. One particular neighbour from across the street parked right in front of my house regularly even though no one was parking outside her door. She used to keep it free for visitors!! THis wold happen even if it meant I would have to park a long way from my door. I was often tempted to park at her door but that would have meant getting across the street with kids .. easier to stay on own side even if further to travel. Some people have no cop on!!

We have a problem the are six spaces in my estates but betwen 4 house there us 8 cars and more, there is 2 cars and a van used for work in ny house, we took out the garden to park both cars in and the van can only fit in the second space. But still we have neighbours parking outside blocking in the drive way and taken the second space after clearly seen the van will not fit into another space. But we just block the whole estate with the van when the neighbours dont park properly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I don't think anybody will complain much about the occasional car, or even more frequent but short duration parking in front of their house.

But I do think it's a bit much having nearby workers parking there for the whole day though. Businesses have an obligation to provide adequate parking also, even thoug it may not be officialy required in terms of their planning conditions. Bear in mind that most families nowadays own (at least) 2 cars, but more often than not only one is on-site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

So what happened OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It always amuses me when people get upset by others parking outside thier houses. Where do their own visitors park?

Having said that, It must be a bit annoying to have cars parked all day long by nearby workers, perhaps they should ask the Council for restrictions, although thats a double-edged sword really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

If you're parking there on a regular basis I would suggest doing whatever possible to just get along with the locals.

I've seen similar get very messy where people were parking their car, coming back to the car later and finding car battery acid, paint stripper or paint itself poured over the car, slashes tyres, broken windows, etc.

It's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Buffman

So the place I work in has a car park outside it but it's maximum stay of 3 hours so we can't park there during the day.

Op, you need to approach your employer to sort this out. I'm assuming it's a shopping centre car park. Where do other staff park?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Buffman wrote: »
    Op, you need to approach your employer to sort this out. I'm assuming it's a shopping centre car park. Where do other staff park?
    Unless the car's being used for work purposes it's nothing to do with the employer.

@OP - The residents of that road are just going to have to get used to the idea that the road is public property. Be polite, but be firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Buffman

Anan1 wrote: »
    Unless the car's being used for work purposes it's nothing to do with the employer.

True, but it'd still be worth asking. Some SCs have arrangements for staff. Some don't bother, but I used to get around the 3 hour rule by moving the car during breaks, got away with it too!:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

So...did you make it out of there yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

It would annoy the hell oudda me if someone was parking outside my gaff all day.

I know the road is public blah blah blah - however I think I should be able to have a space outside my own gaff.
    In this day and age the number of adults living in a house = number of cars for that house - don't need other people taking up valuable spots.

stoneill wrote: »
    It would annoy the hell oudda me if someone was parking outside my gaff all day.

I know the road is public blah blah blah - however I think I should be able to have a space outside my own gaff.
    In this day and age the number of adults living in a house = number of cars for that house - don't need other people taking up valuable spots.

sir, i repeat my point.Where do YOUR visitors park? Outside someone elses gaff I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Fiona

How about you find out if there are any people who work all day and would like a car parked in their drive way during the day while they are out? You have a spot and they have the security of a car in the garden all day to make it look like somebody is home? Might be especially handy if there are older people on the street with no car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Yet another Dundrum worker prik (HMV, you know who you are) parked half over my parents drive on the weekend. Guards were called and before they towed they gave him a chance by calling him.

He was up in minutes to move it. Oddly, there was about 3 feet of room behind him and all he had to do was move it back a bit.

Lazy and inconsiderate but fits in nicely with modern Ireland.

I resent having to park half way up the road when visiting because of these individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Legally this is true, employer is not obliged to arrange parking space if the cars are not used for workign purpose BUT this practice I've seen and hear first time here in Ireland. Was working in 3 other European countries in a city centres with limited spaces but every time my employer was "fighting" for me and arranged a space in few days time.

Extremely unfair "don't give a feck" policy from the companies here! but again it's our (=employees) foul.. we are just letting employers dictate too many rules to maximize their profit! Job is not gonna get done itself without us PEOPLE ffs..

• Advertisement

mrs crilly wrote: »
    How about you find out if there are any people who work all day and would like a car parked in their drive way during the day while they are out? You have a spot and they have the security of a car in the garden all day to make it look like somebody is home? Might be especially handy if there are older people on the street with no car?

Why not cook the cnuts some dinner too and they can warm it up for you as you walk home after parking your car up the road because not only are the usual cars outside but now you can't park in your drive :p

MugMugs wrote: »
    I really really really can't understand why some people assume that it's their automatic right to park outside their house on a street.

I park a fair bit in Swords and when I am going to the Pavillions and it is packed, I park in the estate beside it. I keep getting love letters from the woman across the road from whose house I park outside saying "don't do this again etc"

There's no yellow lines and you're not causing an obstruction. Screw him !

They're more than likely well aware of their rights but very frustrated.

People may have been living in their homes for 40/50 years perhaps and happily parking outside when required.

Then the shopping centre or business moves in and all of a sudden the road has turned from a quiet back street into a carpark.

Squatters have more rights. It's not a matter of residents 'rights' but a moral one.

You give no consideration to the people that live here. The older relatives/friends visiting. The sons/daughters visiting with triplets, the disabled.

You're happy to dress it up in legalities and park wherver the fuk you like once it's legal. As long as you can get to work then party on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Fiona

E39MSport wrote: »
    Why not cook the cnuts some dinner too and they can warm it up for you as you walk home after parking your car up the road because not only are the usual cars outside but now you can't park in your drive :p

Good idea!!

I park in my Granfathers driveway so I am lucky I have a spot every day but it won't be there forever so I will need to strike a deal with somebody on the road for parking and dinner :D

mrs crilly wrote: »

thats a good idea..and an earner for someone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How did it go last night OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

E39MSport wrote: »
    They're more than likely well aware of their rights but very frustrated.

People may have been living in their homes for 40/50 years perhaps and happily parking outside when required.

Then the shopping centre or business moves in and all of a sudden the road has turned from a quiet back street into a carpark.

Squatters have more rights. It's not a matter of residents 'rights' but a moral one.

You give no consideration to the people that live here. The older relatives/friends visiting. The sons/daughters visiting with triplets, the disabled.

You're happy to dress it up in legalities and park wherver the fuk you like once it's legal. As long as you can get to work then party on.
    Well thats not biased at all :rolleyes:

The law is there to set in stone what is acceptable and what is not. You do not own the road outside your house. If there are no restrictions made by the council (pay & display/Permits) then you have to accept that in a town area, people will be entitled to park there.

This crap of "oooo ive been living here since 1750" really bugs me. Fuk off, you've no legal right to the public highway. End of. Yes, even if it is outside your house, it is still the public highway.

If you've a problem with this then you need to implement pay & display or move.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    If you've a problem with this then you need to implement pay & display or move.
    On which point, isn't the resident disc system intrinsically unfair? If everyone has an equal right to park on the public road then why is living there a condition of buying a permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

On which point, isn't the resident disc system intrinsically unfair? If everyone has an equal right to park on the public road then why is living there a condition of buying a permit?

Is there a right to park on a street though? Or is it just that its not illegal to park there if theres no double yellows?

Is there a right to park on a street though? Or is it just that its not illegal to park there if theres no double yellows?
    OK, i'll rephrase. On roads without disc parking, residents and non-residents have equal rights. Once disc parking is introduced this is no longer the case. Surely this goes against the point that public roads belong to all of us?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OK, i'll rephrase. On roads without disc parking, residents and non-residents have equal rights. Once disc parking is introduced this is no longer the case. Surely this goes against the point that public roads belong to all of us?:)

Every solution cant be fair though. Practicalities have to count.

Timed clearways maybe the best bet. To my knowledge they arent used in estates though, I've never seen it.

Advertisement