Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maintenance

Options
  • 19-11-2015 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Can anyone tell me what's the 'normal ' of matenance for 2 kids? Ex works full time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

How long is a piece of rope?. Does he work full time for min wage or is he ceo of a multi national?. What are his incomings and outgoings? What are yours? You need to get to a solicitor and get in to court. If you can't afford one apply for legal aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Anne2011 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what's the 'normal ' of matenance for 2 kids? Ex works full time.

why does it matter what is "normal", you should be asking what do the kids need and then splitting costs half/half between you and him?

if they "cost" €100 a week to feed and keep, then surely it should be €50 paid by both you and him.

i see some lads have to give €100-€200 a week which is absolutely crazy, kids cost nowhere near that in most cases especially if there is no child care involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

why does it matter what is "normal", you should be asking what do the kids need and then splitting costs half/half between you and him?

if they "cost" €100 a week to feed and keep, then surely it should be €50 paid by both you and him.

i see some lads have to give €100-€200 a week which is absolutely crazy, kids cost nowhere near that in most cases especially if there is no child care involved.

A bedroom for a child could cost nearly 200 a week in rent alone.

A bedroom for a child could cost nearly 200 a week in rent alone.

the OP has not stated that they needed to move out or change living circumstances.

there are main fathers out there paying mortgages and maintenance for their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭braceface

My ex was court ordered to pay €120pw - not so crazy considering my childcare alone at the time was €210pw (I work full time)

As everyone else has said, there is no normal amount, it's anything up to €150.00 per child per week depending on each parties individual circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I pay 200 a week for 2. Plus 200 a week rent. Leaves 180 a week for living it's a feckin disaster fair tempted to go to court and see how I get on. She was looking for 300 a week. But when doing up her costings she included all her own as well!!! even though she earns 20k more then me.

racso1975 wrote: »
    I pay 200 a week for 2. Plus 200 a week rent. Leaves 180 a week for living it's a feckin disaster fair tempted to go to court and see how I get on. She was looking for 300 a week. But when doing up her costings she included all her own as well!!! even though she earns 20k more then me.

she wants €1200 a month????sounds like you along with multiple other fathers, are getting shafted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

she wants €1200 a month????sounds like you along with multiple other fathers, are getting shafted.

The maximum per child that can be awarded in the district court is 150 per week, which would be the 300 that was requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Hope I never get divorced

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bilbot79 wrote: »

That's the max in the district court, it varies depending on expenses etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

bilbot79 wrote: »

Just as a little exercise, Sit down when you have a spare few minutes and work out what your spending right now in a marriage on a child per week. Include a percentage of rent/mortgage to keep a roof over the child's head and I bet you wouldn't be far off €150 per week.

The problem starts when one parent leaves the house and thinks they can walk off without any obligations.

ken wrote: »
    The problem starts when one parent leaves the house and thinks they can walk off without any obligations.

most fathers who leave a marriage, still want their kids in their life and its these men who are being shafted. theres a complete difference between those and lads for example who get a girl pregnant on a one night stand, or early in a very unsettled relationship - some are wasters, some are unluckly/misfortunate/careless, others just dont want the "hassle" - lots of things contribute.

there needs to be legislation brought in for a more balanced approach for married men especially, thought its an issue across the board.

id love to see 50-50 rights for married men coming in, where the costs are split 50-50 and also, time is split. therefore there should in theory be no need for men to be then paying maintenance when the money goes directly to the children when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

You need to go legal on this as if you went to court there is good chance you would be paying around 50e a child per week, you seem to be paying for her maintenance and some, In Ireland it is rare to pay maintenance to a spouse and the fact that she actually works is crazy to be honest .

castle wrote: »
    You need to go legal on this as if you went to court there is good chance you would be paying around 50e a child per week, you seem to be paying for her maintenance and some, In Ireland it is rare to pay maintenance to a spouse and the fact that she actually works is crazy to be honest .

You do realise the op is the person seeking maintenance for their children in this case and not the person who will potentially be paying it? And she does not mention seeking spousal maintenance at all?

Is there a point to your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

Stheno wrote: »
    You do realise the op is the person seeking maintenance for their children in this case and not the person who will potentially be paying it? And she does not mention seeking spousal maintenance at all?

Is there a point to your post?
    She has given very little details ,like does she work , the standard can be that ex gives 50e per child and max is 150e but you probleley be earning over 6 figures to be paying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Mod Note
    OK, back on topic please. castle, you are correct the OP has given little information but we can only give advice on what is offered and possibly the OP does not want to be identified.
    As it stands this is a generic enough information seeking thread, so we don't really need more than that for folk to give their own feedback or experience.

Please do note though - S&D is meant to be a safe place, we don't as contributors/OPs/mods here appreciate barbs like your last comment, please tone it down or if you find you can't then consider not posting here. Remember S&D can be a fraught time - emotionally, physically and monetarily - this forum is here to share experiences and advice, not to throw back handed comments like yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Depends on the kids' needs and their father's ability to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

ken wrote: »
    Just as a little exercise, Sit down when you have a spare few minutes and work out what your spending right now in a marriage on a child per week. Include a percentage of rent/mortgage to keep a roof over the child's head and I bet you wouldn't be far off €150 per week.

Per month for us and 2 kids
    Childcare: 2000
    Rent: 1500
    Bills: 150
    Food: 400 inc nappies/formula
    Phones: 110
    Cars: 400 inc fuel
    Health ins: 250
    Clothes: 100
    Social: 100

Rough napkin estimate. Couldn't afford to separate if we were finished. Would probably just move into spare room.

Advertisement