Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Not that uncommon to be honest. See people all the time carrying around boxes with flat screens of 32 inch plus in the airport. Just make sure and wrap it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JoseAmnesia

What's the charge for checking in at the airport? Some article I read said it was 50 GBP. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

What's the charge for checking in at the airport? Some article I read said it was 50 GBP. Yikes.

It's €45 or £45, or €15 if you've checked in online and just need a boarding pass. Check in at airport is free if you have a Business Plus ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JoseAmnesia

grimm2005 wrote: »
    It's €45 or £45, or €15 if you've checked in online and just need a boarding pass. Check in at airport is free if you have a Business Plus ticket.

If I print the boarding pass there's no extra fees then?

I'm also taking a 15kg case which I've paid 80E for (40 each way). There will be no extra fees at the airport for that will there?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

As long as you have already paid for any checked-luggage, checked in online and printed your boarding pass, then there's no charge at the airport. You just have to get into the queue for bag drop-off.
    Don't lose your boarding pass though, to reprint it costs a pretty penny too. Happened to my OH on a trip to the UK. He printed both boarding passes, got there fine but couldn't find the return one on his return journey :(

• Advertisement

If I print the boarding pass there's no extra fees then?

I'm also taking a 15kg case which I've paid 80E for (40 each way). There will be no extra fees at the airport for that will there?

Thanks

Yep, or you can use your phone to present your boarding pass if you have the Ryanair app

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mademoiselle_r

Hey,
    so I am moving to paris tomorrow morning and had all my stuff packed but now I am reading on the ryanair website somewhere that ecigarettes are not permitted in "checked baggage". Are you allowed bring them in your handbag on the flight, because I spent a load of money on mine and will be lost without it?

Also, 15kg is the limit for my baggage and my luggage weigher say's it's just about 15kg but if I go over by .2 or something silly will they still charge extra?

any other tips on travelling with ryanair would be helpful. My flight is at 6.20am so I presume if I arrive at 4.30am I am ok? haven't travelled in a while!!

thanks in advance to any replies.

ps: Oh another thing- toiletries aren't really permitted in hand luggage, but is make up ok (foundation,lip gloss etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Toiletries are permitted in hand luggage, but they can't be in bottles/containers larger than 100ml. If the original container is less than that, you'll be fine. If it is more, you'll have to decant it into a 100ml container. You can get travel sets of empty 100ml containers in Dunnes, Pennys, chemists, 2 euro stores etc etc. They don't treat make up any different to other liquids. A bottle of liquid foundation or moisturizer is treated the same as a bottle of water, even if they have a thicker consistency.

Going a mere .2 over the weight allowance should be ok. Check in staff tend to allow you a bit of wiggle room of 1-2kg. But if you go over 16kg or so, you may be asked to take something out and put it in your hand luggage.

Arriving at 4.30 for a 6.30 flight should be fine.

No idea about the ecigarettes, sorry. Have you checked the list of hand luggage restrictions on the Ryanair website?

Boarding a flight to Italy and the steward asked me to put my bag into one of those boxes in which if it doesn't fit then you have to pay extra. I slammed the bag in but when I took it out he got out a measuring tape and told me it was still too big, I mean what was the point?!!

was that the 10kg bag or the extra bag you're allowed? I have a big michael kors bag with my laptop stuffed in to it and everything ready for my 6.30am flight tomorrow and cant fit stuff anywhere else. will i be overcharged? I think it is like 10cm over what you're supposed to bring.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Toiletries are permitted in hand luggage, but they can't be in bottles/containers larger than 100ml. If the original container is less than that, you'll be fine. If it is more, you'll have to decant it into a 100ml container. You can get travel sets of empty 100ml containers in Dunnes, Pennys, chemists, 2 euro stores etc etc. They don't treat make up any different to other liquids. A bottle of liquid foundation or moisturizer is treated the same as a bottle of water, even if they have a thicker consistency.

Going a mere .2 over the weight allowance should be ok. Check in staff tend to allow you a bit of wiggle room of 1-2kg. But if you go over 16kg or so, you may be asked to take something out and put it in your hand luggage.

Arriving at 4.30 for a 6.30 flight should be fine.

No idea about the ecigarettes, sorry. Have you checked the list of hand luggage restrictions on the Ryanair website?

Thanks a million. Just moved my fake tan and perfumes and stuff I'd stupidly packed in to my carry on suitcase and replaced the carry on suitcase with a few clothes from the other so with the swap I should be ok. just again, hope they don't go charging me for being a teeny bit over the limit.

i'm reading up about ecigarettes and i dont think you can pack them in any luggage full stop. So I'll have to buy a new one in France. Oh weh!!

the joys of budget travel :pac:

BTW if anyone knows whether they are really strict about the 2nd item of hand luggage, please let me know. I think my MK bag is about 20cm bigger than the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Thanks a million. Just moved my fake tan and perfumes and stuff I'd stupidly packed in to my carry on suitcase and replaced the carry on suitcase with a few clothes from the other so with the swap I should be ok. just again, hope they don't go charging me for being a teeny bit over the limit.

i'm reading up about ecigarettes and i dont think you can pack them in any luggage full stop. So I'll have to buy a new one in France. Oh weh!!

the joys of budget travel :pac:

BTW if anyone knows whether they are really strict about the 2nd item of hand luggage, please let me know. I think my MK bag is about 20cm bigger than the limit.

From my experience, it depends on the flight. If it's quiet they seem to be not as bothered, but I flew to London 2 weeks ago and the flight was sold out, and the staff were acting like the Gestapo :). Maybe just take a smaller bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    From my experience, it depends on the flight. If it's quiet they seem to be not as bothered, but I flew to London 2 weeks ago and the flight was sold out, and the staff were acting like the Gestapo :). Maybe just take a smaller bag?
    to be honest I've seen the same with aer lingus when a flight is booked out.

Its not so much as you breaking the rules that is the problem, its the guaranteed chaos when you board and the delayed departure caused by a few dozen people looking for a place for their bag(s)

You'd rarely see such a Problem with the likes of Lufthansa who give you free checkin, as some people will checkin the smallest of bags just to have them out of their hair for the journey, meaning substantially less handluggage needing to be stowed overhead in the cabin.

jaymcg91 wrote: »

I took my slightly oversized Michael Kors bag with me with a laptop and grammar books etc stuffed in to it, an 10.7kg carry on case (nearly 1kg over) and also a 15.7kg case to be checked in, and all went well.

I seen people bringing big enough bags on the plane. There was a mad rush to get it packed on top though!!!

Wrecked now after being up since 2.30am

I retract my positive statements.... I seen the airport workers flinging the suitcases on to the vans and after opening my suitcase, I discovered several of my important medications have been mushed in to pieces and 2 of my phone chargers were broke. So I panicked, without 2 phones (battery went) and paid 10euro for a taxi to a 24hour phone shop where I paid 20euro for a new charger for my Samsung Galaxy (that initially cost me 1.49 in dealz). My adapters are even dodgy after probably rough handling and I was panicking for a while. Praise the lord I got some champagne on the The Avenue des Champs-Élysées anyway.

Unfortunately that's the problem with the airport staff and not the airline AFAIK... I'd similar problem with a few of our bags getting rerouted on a different flight with Ryanair and then getting them back soaking wet. I mean like through and through, all papers were damaged inside, luckily it was mainly clothes. I reckon the staff just left them out in the rain for ages. Was quite disgraceful, but Dublin airport's pretty much the only airport in Ireland as others don't cater for nearly the same number of destinations.

Gatica wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's the problem with the airport staff and not the airline AFAIK... I'd similar problem with a few of our bags getting rerouted on a different flight with Ryanair and then getting them back soaking wet. I mean like through and through, all papers were damaged inside, luckily it was mainly clothes. I reckon the staff just left them out in the rain for ages. Was quite disgraceful, but Dublin airport's pretty much the only airport in Ireland as others don't cater for nearly the same number of destinations.

That is not really accepable. well I sorta freaked out (maybe not because I was meeting others) and had to pay 30euro for the cheapest phone i could find at a tabacco place (Doesn't even have internet-not a smart phone) and then went to get a charger for my Samsung for an extra 20 so that is like 50 that I could have avoided spending had they not of fd up my baggage. As regards medications I have to ring my doctor and ask is it ok to take them mushed up? (because I mightn't know if I'm getting the right dosage etc). Luckily have health travel insurace. I don't know... you live and you learn! And also I was told ecigarettes were banned from ryanair flights but i accidentally left one in my handbag and left the charger at home because i thought they weren't allowed.

oh lordy.... rant over, just a poor student here :P

that's horrible and by all means you should've complained to them about it, after all they're paying the airport for services to their clients. My OH asked if I wanted to make a complaint but considering it was late at night and we were getting the last bus for a while, and my bag is quite old and ugly anyway (I'm happy to take an excuse to purchase a new one) I wasn't gonna bother. If it was earlier in the day, I would've complained if only that they should have a record of number of issues with bags... I suppose, in spite of what I said, the airline would be your first point of contact for bag problems.

And also I was told ecigarettes were banned from ryanair flights but i accidentally left one in my handbag and left the charger at home because i thought they weren't allowed.

Just for future reference, it's airport security that decides what can be brought on to the plane. Ryanair or any other airline don't check your luggage. The airlines can have rules forbidding the USE of e-cigs on board the flight but it's up to airport security to decide whether or not you can take packed items through security. If you're ever unsure about taking items in your hand luggage, always check the airports website for security restrictions or contact them (probably social media like twitter being the easiest way) if you're still unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I retract my positive statements.... I seen the airport workers flinging the suitcases on to the vans and after opening my suitcase, I discovered several of my important medications have been mushed in to pieces and 2 of my phone chargers were broke.<snip>.
    had you the medicines packed in the middle of the bag wrapped in socks and surrounded by clothes, or at the bottom of the bag right at the material exposed with no protection? And same for the chargers?
    If you pack right then within reason nothing should break.

And separate from that, you should operate with checked luggage with the premise that it may go missing / get broke/ get stolen.
    So NEVER pack important stuff like medicine or your only copy of photographs or whatever in the checked luggage if at all possible as you cannot guarantee you'll see it the other end.
    The modern generation is so used to only travelling with handluggage (and paying €2 for a flight and anything more than that is a rip off) that they haven't heard many stories of what can go wrong, but I've heard so many scare stories that I literally pack the bag with a presumption that it may never be seen again, or may have a snooping baggage operator taking whatevers of value from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Hi all,

Does anyone know if this will be allowed in Checked Bags on Ryanair and Aer Lingus?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Streetwize-SWPP6-Power-Pack/dp/B002SZ4M5Y/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1433273655&sr=8-11&keywords=battery+pack+12ah

Thanks,

Username

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I don't think so, it would contain a lead acid battery which are prohibited. http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/prohibited_items_wci.html
    "Acids and alkalis e.g. spillable "wet" batteries."

It also weighs 5KG according to amazon, best would be to ask either Ryanair or Aer Lingus via Twitter but I really doubt if you'd be left take it along, it looks like something to transport by ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Moved from Aviation and Aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SimplyBlue

Heading to australia soon ( Dublin - Heathrow with Aer Lingurs & Heathrow - Kuala Lumpur and KL - Perth with Malaysian Airlines )

Aer lingus' checked baggage allowance is 23kg while malaysian's is 30kg, the ticket was booked together and says checked baggage: 30 Kilos Maximum Weight.

So I was wondering if it's 23 or 30?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you booked it as one reservation, you will get the greater allowance.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    If you booked it as one reservation, you will get the greater allowance.

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Buffybot is right. It's always with the airline who ticketed it. For example here it's Malaysia =30kg.

But if you were flying with KLM and then Malaysia, and the ticket was a KL ticket then you'd only get 23kg (KLM's allowance).

Batgurl wrote: »
    Buffybot is right. It's always with the airline who ticketed it. For example here it's Malaysia =30kg.

But if you were flying with KLM and then Malaysia, and the ticket was a KL ticket then you'd only get 23kg (KLM's allowance).

Sorry, not sure why I abbreviated the KL - Perth bit. I just meant Kuala Lumpur there. Dublin to London is with Aer Lingus and London to Kuala Lumpur and Kuala Lumpur to Perth is with Malaysian airlines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

My brother bought the ticket, from the site tripsta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

SimplyBlue wrote: »
    My brother bought the ticket, from the site tripsta

Haha, no an airline will still have issued it, just through Tripsta. You can usually tell which from the first three digits of the ticket number.

Advertisement