Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cube peloton race

• 27-05-2014 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

Lads, new here and looking to get into cycling. I am looking at buying this bike and was just looking for some advice on the brand and quality. Is this bike too good and too expensive for someone just starting out. All advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nah, if it's within your budget then by all means go for it. It's a good frame and good components, you'll be happy with it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Doc07

Nah, if it's within your budget then by all means go for it. It's a good frame and good components, you'll be happy with it for years.

If you can afford it and will definitely use it then go for it. I have that bike and it's great. I bought two cheap bikes starting out, would have loved to have just gone for this in the first place. I'm not planning on upgrading unless I start racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ansconeio Flanderas

I'd say go for it.
    My brother picked up one of these last year, the first road bike that he bought. I think it looks nice, good components as noted above, and is really comfortable over longer distances too.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭hairyman

I have one of these,
    They are seriously hard to beat in terms of spec for money.

If you have the yano's, buy the thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I'm guessing you already bought it ? if so great choice if not go ahead and buy it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

not yet wrote: »
    I'm guessing you already bought it ? if so great choice if not go ahead and buy it..

Not yet but probably will buy.
    Just some advice on other equipment i will need.
    Bike is coming with pedals with toe clips. I assume a good pair of runners
    and shorts is about all more that i will need. Oh and a helmet.
    Sorry if these seems like stupid questions but I,m only learning.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Cubes are a decent bike, you'll have no regrets

runners will do you fine with the flat pedals and toe clips that come with bike, though once you get going and comfortable on bike, you should look at the clipless pedals and cycling shoes - different gravy

Shorts, get a quality pair - quality does really count here, talking Eur 70 plus for half decent air in lbs, you will do better online once you get going

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

markkelly2 wrote: »
    Not yet but probably will buy.
    Just some advice on other equipment i will need.
    Bike is coming with pedals with toe clips. I assume a good pair of runners
    and shorts is about all more that i will need. Oh and a helmet.
    Sorry if these seems like stupid questions but I,m only learning.

Thanks again.

Padded bib shorts if you plan on doing anything over 10k, You'll prob swap out the pedals for clipless soon enough..

Gorgeous bike enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Doc07 wrote: »
    If you can afford it and will definitely use it then go for it. I have that bike and it's great. I bought two cheap bikes starting out, would have loved to have just gone for this in the first place. I'm not planning on upgrading unless I start racing.

This is why I went for the cube agree GTC SL, and I am only a beginner. Love the bike though and after one month on the road I did my first 180km over the weekend.

Cant post a link but check up cube website

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

I have the 2013 version and I love it, 2014 is even better with all round 105 groupset.
    Toes clips? Lord no! get clipless pedals and shoes you will not regret it.

Happy cycling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I was very close to buying a peleton race over the weekend but i found an unexpected bargain with ultegra all round.
    Based on my research alone that cube its a very nice bike with solid components.
    In the flesh its a great looking bike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

cracking bike to start out with, only drawback is slow customer service from cube if something goes wrong (for me at least)

Got out for first spin this evening.Only 12kms but bike felt good. Few little niggles. Front wheel slightly rubbing off brake lining on one side. Gear change felt slightly clunky as well, kinda like when i changed gear it did not fully engage. All this is probably easily sorted though. Enjoyed it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

markkelly2 wrote: »
    Got out for first spin this evening.Only 12kms but bike felt good. Few little niggles. Front wheel slightly rubbing off brake lining on one side. Gear change felt slightly clunky as well, kinda like when i changed gear it did not fully engage. All this is probably easily sorted though. Enjoyed it all the same.

Loosen the quick release lever for the front wheel and centre the wheel between the brake blocks and then tighten the QR again.

The rear gears probably need minor adjustment. There is a little adjusting wheel at the end of the cable going to the rear derailleur. Put the bike on the small ring on the front and biggest on the rear and then Turn the bike upside down on a bench or table. Turn the pedals and change to the next gear (on the rear) if it goes in smoothly move to the next gear. If they start to rattle a bit or doesn't engage properly turn the little adjuster wheel/barrel a half turn while turning the pedal, if it sorts the problem move to the next gear. If not then turn further, if it makes it worse then turn in opposite direction till the gear engages correctly and spins smoothly then move to the next gear and so on. There are entry of YouTube videos showing how to adjust gears too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Thinking of going for one of these, how are you finding it after a few months with it?

No issues so far. Still getting used to cycling. Biggest problem is not getting out as often as I would like.

No issues so far. Still getting used to cycling. Biggest problem is not getting out as often as I would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Lovely bike to start off with! I quite like the Cubes.

Trying to hunt down a 64cm frame of the 2014 white/blue/red model, looks like Fitzcycles do sell Cube but unsure if they have the size/colour I'm looking for. Fun times ahead.

Edit: also conscious that Cube are announcing new season bikes at the end of the month. :(

New season it is, not going to get a 64cm anywhere.

From what I've been told, new season for this will bring better value to the consumer so will wait and see what they have to offer at the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Doc07

Kinet1c wrote: »
    New season it is, not going to get a 64cm anywhere.

From what I've been told, new season for this will bring better value to the consumer so will wait and see what they have to offer at the end of the month.

I have this seasons. Mavic aksium and full 105. I've done 3 x >100 KM sportives with no issues. Only regret is I got a White one so have to be more vigilant with cleaning. I wonder will they stick an 11-speed on the next edition.

Doc07 wrote: »
    I have this seasons. Mavic aksium and full 105. I've done 3 x >100 KM sportives with no issues. Only regret is I got a White one so have to be more vigilant with cleaning. I wonder will they stick an 11-speed on the next edition.

Again, from what I've been told by a LBS it is due to be an 11 speed. I do hope they keep the same level of wheels/groupset as it was the main reason I was opting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Looking at upgrading to one of these from a trek 1.1, Is it worth it or should I look to move further up the range ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Vienna Beautiful Relaxation

Loosen the quick release lever for the front wheel and centre the wheel between the brake blocks and then tighten the QR again.

The rear gears probably need minor adjustment. There is a little adjusting wheel at the end of the cable going to the rear derailleur. Put the bike on the small ring on the front and biggest on the rear and then Turn the bike upside down on a bench or table. Turn the pedals and change to the next gear (on the rear) if it goes in smoothly move to the next gear. If they start to rattle a bit or doesn't engage properly turn the little adjuster wheel/barrel a half turn while turning the pedal, if it sorts the problem move to the next gear. If not then turn further, if it makes it worse then turn in opposite direction till the gear engages correctly and spins smoothly then move to the next gear and so on. There are entry of YouTube videos showing how to adjust gears too.

I wouldn't suggest doing anything to the bike if the bike is new. If anything goes wrong, you may be liable for the damage. Bring it back to where you bought it and ask them to tune it up for you. I am going through hell with my Peleton race at the moment.

Advertisement