Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek (Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington Sitcom)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 94Conor

Shane St. wrote: »
    Massive Gervais fan.... Office, Extras, Standups, podcasts but I just can't get into this. I wanted to like it but I just can't. It's kind of depressing

I feel the same way tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Someone mentioned earlier that he receives alot of praise on twitter but Ricky doesn't re-tweet the neg comments.

In fairness, it'd be pretty dumb for him to start promoting criticism of his work. Would you start re-tweeting if people starting complaining about you doing your dayjob? Celebs aren't journalists, they're not obliged in any way to provide any kind of 'balance' of public opinion. They are, however, obliged to promote upcoming projects and encourage people to check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

leggo wrote: »
    In fairness, it'd be pretty dumb for him to start promoting criticism of his work. Would you start re-tweeting if people starting complaining about you doing your dayjob? Celebs aren't journalists, they're not obliged in any way to provide any kind of 'balance' of public opinion. They are, however, obliged to promote upcoming projects and encourage people to check them out.

I agree but he used to re-tweet negative comments and have a come back for them but now its all just the positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Only watch it for Pilkington who's character is spot on,cannot stand Gervais!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think Pilkington, Gervais and your one who plays Hannah are doing a fantastic job... Really can't stand the other guy - but I think that's the point...
    Anyway, I like the show either way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Quandary

Loving this show! There's nothing like it on tv at the moment. Most shows on tv reward lazy watching but this requires effort on the part of the viewer and it rewards you for it :)

Its easy to say its too uncomfortable to watch but its uncomfortable for a reason.

The actress who plays Hannah is superb. Pilkington is also surprisingly good in a semi-serious role.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm really enjoying this, and I'm not a Ricky Gervais fan at all. The only character I dont like is that creepy weirdo guy Kev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I don't find it uncomfortable to watch to be honest.

Cringe humour like The Office made me squirm in my seat

• Registered Users Posts: 71,483 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Haven't found the Kev character even remotely funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The only thing I can think with Kev is they're to emulate a lecherous creepy Gareth from 'The Office' style character... but yeah, he doesn't work.

Kerry Godliman (Hannah), Pilkington and Gervais are all top-notch though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Amazing. Incredibly well acted. Detailed nuances are everywhere. I feel sorry for those that don't "get it".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The pilot was good. But the series so far has not been great. Its a bit too mushy and doesn't have the cringe factor 500 that Gervais usually produces. The substitute cringe is Kev, which doesn't work as hes too blatant and not funny. Its ok but no where near the office or extras and not as funny as lifes too short. I think its biggest mistake is not developing the characters in more funny situations before goin for the tearjerky stuff.

The pilot was good. But the series so far has not been great. Its a bit too mushy and doesn't have the cringe factor 500 that Gervais usually produces. The substitute cringe is Kev, which doesn't work as hes too blatant and not funny. Its ok but no where near the office or extras and not as funny as lifes too short. I think its biggest mistake is not developing the characters in more funny situations before goin for the tearjerky stuff.

I would barely even consider Derek to be a comedy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Am I the only one unfortunate enough to have encountered people as blatantly crass and creepy as Kev? He genuinely reminds me of a few unsavoury souls I've had the misfortune of meeting over the years. I don't really see his relevance to the show, but I think he's realistically written for what it's worth.

leggo wrote: »
    Am I the only one unfortunate enough to have encountered people as blatantly crass and creepy as Kev? He genuinely reminds me of a few unsavoury souls I've had the misfortune of meeting over the years. I don't really see his relevance to the show, but I think he's realistically written for what it's worth.

I really like his Liam Gallagher swagger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Grimebox wrote: »
    I would barely even consider Derek to be a comedy tbh

You may not find it funny but more than anything else it is a comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Started watching last week, not a big Gervais fan but pleasantly surprised. It's funny while managing to highlight some real world issues at the same time without being preachy.

Will continue to watch for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

anyone see this weeks episode. was in stitches laughing at derek, kev and dougie at the beach

The bits at the beach were great... but the scenes in the home will Hannah treaded familiar territory.

ricero wrote: »
    anyone see this weeks episode. was in stitches laughing at derek, kev and dougie at the beach

Yeah that was great. "I'm writing on the crabs" as if its completely normal. Lost it at "BOLL"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think its one of the best things to ever appear on british TV, absolutely incredible. And i normally dont like Ricky Gervais. The scene last week when Derek was crying after the old woman died was amazing, shows the depth of the show IMO.

I really think people just dont get shows like this because there is no canned laughter to tell them what is funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i think Pilkington has been brilliant considering its his first acting role. i know people will think hes just playing himself but i think there is more to that, great acting and very believable performance also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

More people need to be watching this IMO

As a young single squeamish male, I do not enjoy this program about childbirth that is on before it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I was very put off by the initial pilot, but watched last nights episode. Laughed more watching that than I did in the entire season of lifes too short!
    Karl absolutely steals the show.

The Duran Duran stuff was funny..

.. but enough about young offenders doing community service and warming to the elderly during their time there.

Basq wrote: »
    The Duran Duran stuff was funny..

.. but enough about young offenders doing community service and warming to the elderly during their time there.

Kev was hilarious during that whole episode

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

A distinct lack of sad piano music, I noticed, which was a plus.

Blisterman wrote: »
    A distinct lack of sad piano music, I noticed, which was a plus.

If you still need your hit :pac:

This was in one of the episodes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Hey

Does anyone know if this is repeated? Last nights episode on sky plus is all pixelated.

This is a brilliant show - much more than a comedy. I think gervais has done a cracking job. The entire character if Dougie was clearly created specifically for Karl. There was no acting when Dougie was pushed into the sea in last weeks episode.

Advertisement