Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's very rewarding, God love them you wouldn't know what's happened in their lives. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. It can be a slow process and suddenly they decide you're alright and they might as well move in:)

We've got a very large plant pot in the garden with clean soil from some pumpkins that my husband finished growing last year. I've been using the soil to fill other plant pots since the weekend. It's only half full now and since yesterday Felix has decided that it is a litter tray:rolleyes: Oh and the new cooker that arrived yesterday is broken and has to be returned, just discovered at lunch time today that the oven door opens itself when the oven is turned on:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

No rain in ages, everywhere is bone dry, and at 9.45pm while walking my dogs by the river(who hate water or even getting wet in puddles) my idiot dog climbs a ditch and leaps into a bog!
    My mostly white dog is now mostly black and stinks, sooo tired and had to go home and wash him before bed.

Why does he do stuff like this when I'm fit to drop, or about to go to work?
    Locking the crate door tonight, he's not climbing on the end of my bed for a snooze tonight.

Dull ache in my knee the last week has escalated to angonising pain, doc says rest it, and see what it's like in a week.
    Sitting on sofa with dogs and Mouse, trying to decide what film to watch, such a lovely evening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mymo wrote: »
    Dull ache in my knee the last week has escalated to angonising pain, doc says rest it, and see what it's like in a week.
    Sitting on sofa with dogs and Mouse, trying to decide what film to watch, such a lovely evening too.

Oh do rest it! I joined the gym down the road from work a few months ago and started running again..ran thru the aches and pains and have landed myself in physio. It's so painful he told me to feel free to swear lol! :p I haven't...yet lol!

• Advertisement

Thanks tk, I hate physio!
    I'm well used to this now, although the knee is a new location for it. Next step for me is cortisone injections, gotta go back next week, I really don't want those! (I'm such a baby about things like that)
    I know it's from over doing things the last couple of weeks, one day I'll learn to mind myself better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Could not find cream anywhere this evening, tore the house apart several times to try get him with no success, when my brother spotted him outside his bedroom window! Lord only knows how he managed to get outside but he has never been so cuddly in all his life! His nighttime stroll must really have scared him!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Tara is now panned out recovering, I allowed her to have her squeaky toy to play with outside - she's limited usually to about 5mins at a time as it drives her demented, but she loves it sooo much.
    today though she wouldn't give it back - totally refused - tried bribery, trickery - nothing... finally she collapsed with exhaustion and I robbed it. she is now laid out and I'd say even if a sausage was dangled in front of her nose she'd not be able to get up for it:D

I got my Dad a Chillow pillow last year, he gets a lot of pain in his upper back and I thought it might help with the inflammation. You put water in it and it stays cold permanently. They do dog sized ones too so if anyone's pet is suffering with the heat it might be helpful. Am thinking of getting one for myself, its suffocating at night. Going up to bed is like walking into a furnace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Todays heat was stifling, a lot less wind than the past couple of days too. Brought the dogs out this morning and we had barely gone half a kilometre and they had drunk a litre of water from the bottle I brought. Luckily in the fields behind me where I walk them there's some storage barns and a tap I can use to refill.

They're all getting their second wind now, running around like lunatics as they could do little else all afternoon but rest.

• Advertisement

We were up early and on the beach around 8:15 so perfect - tide was out so we were miles away from anyone and then into the dunes on the way back. Home at 11:00 and Bailey kept lying roasting himself in the sun even though I put his cushion for him the shade so ended up coming in ...then we both fell asleep lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

So hot already today! I got up to find the cat curled up in the bathtub because it was so cold in there!

2 of our cats are spending their days upstairs all week and not going out until late evening. Every window in the house is open here, it's oppressively hot. I found Toby asleep on the back doormat early morning twice this week so I've put a nice snug bed out there for him at night and he loves it. I've been leaving it out all day now and he stays in it til Felix starts howling at him:rolleyes:

On the plus side Jasper seems to have accepted Toby, Felix on the other hand is a work in progress. I think Felix might have a polyps though, was supposed to be Toby's vet follow up on Wednesday but he seems well in himself and since Felix has been acting like he may have a polyp in his throat it's his turn instead.

I'm really hoping it's not another polyp, he had a nasty one in his ear when he first arrived and he went through a lot of surgery, poor little, well not so little guy. Not looking forward to getting 'the talk' about his weight from our vet.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Love this weather and my nala! She's so good :) was at the beach early yesterday morning and there was a small terrier there who kept attacking her, all she did was ignore him and run the other way. His owners wouldn't put him on a lead even though he kept going up to people who were sunbathing and they were just laughin when he was attacking nala. It really annoys me because if it was the other way around we'd be asked to leave the beach. Anyway in the evening we went out on the boat. My friend brought his dog too who wouldn't sit still and kept getting in the way. Nala slept most of the way! When i see how some other dogs are i'm so proud of nala and realise how good she is and also how lucky i am that i got her :)

Oh we had a snapper at the beach yesterday too! We were in the dunes and saw a man coming towards us.. man saw us and put the dog on it's lead, then let it off...comes up to us and drops to the ground stalking then he starts telling it to be good and next thing it's lunging at Bailey and tried to bite him. Bailey yelped and jumped away then stood up and barked at the dog telling him off - there was a time when he would have been terrified and taken a while to bounce back when something like that happened so I was delighted that he was able to bark at the dog and tell it to get lost and that was the end of it....but annoyed that the dog was let off the lead when the guy obiously knew it was dog aggressive! :mad:
    A short walk this morning with my friend and her friends Chinese crested powderpuffs who kept runnin away - oddest things I've ever seen lol! :p

I had Dude outside playing at the poor thing has got stung by something on his paw, I managed to get the sting out but he just keeps licking his paw and staring at me with sad eyes cos I won't bring him outside again!

Ah no, hope Dude's little paw is ok!

Stray Update:
    In our yard I have a kind of giant cork screw type thing in the middle and a 6ft black cord attached to that so I can put Cinnamon (my cat) outside so she can hang out safely away from the roads on her harness (she spent her first 4 years as an apartment cat, so she's no road sense). Anyway I was just taking her out to play when I noticed the lovely stray hanging in her usual spot in the back of the garden. Cin was already geared up to go out so I took her out anyway and gave the other cat her dinner (she came for breakfast today and yesterday too!) and Cin went over and watched her eat for a minute, laying calmly in the grass before wandering to the other side of the yard to sniff a bush and eat some grass. Other cat didn't even bat an eyelid. So at least they don't seem to hate each other up close. They've been staring at each other through the window on a daily basis stray even went as far to come right up to our back door to look in last night - she's never been so close to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Has anybody heard about another kennel in the Midlands having dogs stolen over the weekend? I really hope the person who told me has gotten mixed up with the recent theft of the 2 lurchers in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Poor Jess :( She has occasional seizures, usually several months apart, but she's had 3 so far this morning which has never happened before. She's never had more than 1 at a time. We're off to the vet in a couple of hours. The poor thing is exhausted and I'm a bag of nerves. Thankfully I'm working from home today, so I can keep an eye on her.

Poor Jess :( She has occasional seizures, usually several months apart, but she's had 3 so far this morning which has never happened before. She's never had more than 1 at a time. We're off to the vet in a couple of hours. The poor thing is exhausted and I'm a bag of nerves. Thankfully I'm working from home today, so I can keep an eye on her.

Oh no poor Jess!! You must be so worried :(

• Advertisement

Ah no, hope Dude's little paw is ok!

Stray Update:
    In our yard I have a kind of giant cork screw type thing in the middle and a 6ft black cord attached to that so I can put Cinnamon (my cat) outside so she can hang out safely away from the roads on her harness (she spent her first 4 years as an apartment cat, so she's no road sense). Anyway I was just taking her out to play when I noticed the lovely stray hanging in her usual spot in the back of the garden. Cin was already geared up to go out so I took her out anyway and gave the other cat her dinner (she came for breakfast today and yesterday too!) and Cin went over and watched her eat for a minute, laying calmly in the grass before wandering to the other side of the yard to sniff a bush and eat some grass. Other cat didn't even bat an eyelid. So at least they don't seem to hate each other up close. They've been staring at each other through the window on a daily basis stray even went as far to come right up to our back door to look in last night - she's never been so close to the house.
    Have you thought of a name for her yet?

Hope all goes well for Jess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Best of luck, hope the vet can help.

Poor Jess, one thing I hate seeing in the vets is seizures, you feel so very helpless!

I got a new tattoo today, 2 paws for each of my kitties :)

tat-1_zps30b92bf6.jpg

I hope Jess it ok! Let us know how she gets on!

SillyMango, I love the tattoo, it came out amazing!
    Have you thought of a name for her yet?

:o:o Erm. The first time she came to our yard was St Patricks day, so I was terribly original and called her (I assumed it was a he at the time) Patrick. And then on top of that, I'm really weird and give my pets middle names (I have a Cinnamon Marie and Poppy Rose right now... they only get full named when they're bold :p ) But anyway somehow little stray ended up being called Patrick Thomas, or PeeTee for short. If I ever manage to get her in I'll have to think of something a bit nicer or she'll be confused little kitty.
    It's so sad though, she's taken to coming by after dark and sitting really close to the house and just staring in, usually at Cinnamon. Whenever I put the key in the door to call out to her/leave it open for her she legs it back to the bushes.

Thanks everyone :)

The good news is there's nothing obviously wrong. She had a thorough physical exam and blood tests, which came back normal. The vet did say that her red blood count was on the high side of normal and that they'll run it again manually to double check it. Her best guess is that today's seizures are just an anomaly, possible triggered by something like an undetectable virus, and that she'll be back to normal very quickly.

If the seizures continue to become more frequent then we'll have to look at medication - the vet mentioned some new seizure drug that's just come out but my brain was fried at that point. Hopefully it won't come to that; she's far too young for a lifetime of medication.

I'm really weird and give my pets middle names

Oh my. I wish I'd thought of doing that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

LOVE your new tatoo SillyMango!

Thanks :D Now the real problem starts, keeping the cats from jumping on my back while it heals :P

• Advertisement

I hope Jess it ok! Let us know how she gets on!

SillyMango, I love the tattoo, it came out amazing!

:o:o Erm. The first time she came to our yard was St Patricks day, so I was terribly original and called her (I assumed it was a he at the time) Patrick. And then on top of that, I'm really weird and give my pets middle names (I have a Cinnamon Marie and Poppy Rose right now... they only get full named when they're bold :p ) But anyway somehow little stray ended up being called Patrick Thomas, or PeeTee for short. If I ever manage to get her in I'll have to think of something a bit nicer or she'll be confused little kitty.
    It's so sad though, she's taken to coming by after dark and sitting really close to the house and just staring in, usually at Cinnamon. Whenever I put the key in the door to call out to her/leave it open for her she legs it back to the bushes.
    I started leaving a cat bed outside the back door for Toby as I saw him sleeping on the doormat right up against the door. 8 euro in Dunnes. He has one in the shed too and we leave the shed door open for him The difference is though that he's very keen to come in. He eats indoors in the morning then wanders into the living room to give the catnip fish toy a good lick. He always sits looking up the stairs and then Felix begins the intimidation. Poor little guy would happily go upstairs and go to sleep. The last 3 days I moved the cat bed out to the garden and he's sleeping happily in there for a few hours til Felix evicts him.

I think having a snug bed and being able to watch us from a safe distance is making a lot of difference. I've been able to give him a good brushing and lots of ear scratching. It sounds like madam is gearing up to move in to your house

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement