Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Sounds simple, cheers. He has also restored the phone would that affect its ability to be unlocked? I'm on 48 network if thats any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

ft9 wrote: »
    Sounds simple, cheers. He has also restored the phone would that affect its ability to be unlocked? I'm on 48 network if thats any difference.

No restoring it just brings it back to factory settings and wipes all his stuff off it, it wont affect the unlock in any way.

Thank you bryaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

48 is o2 anyway so it wouldnt have made a difference. Same as meteor and emobile

48 is o2 anyway so it wouldnt have made a difference. Same as meteor and emobile

I don't think so? I tried a 48 sim in an 02 phone and it didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

ft9 wrote: »

I don't think so? I tried a 48 sim in an 02 phone and it didn't work.
    Oh right. Just presimed seeing as their run by o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I can't find it on the thread.

If I were to meet someone to buy an iPhone 4 2nd hand, and let's say I got the imei # off them beforehand, can I do some sort of search of this number to check if the phone is blacklisted?

My iPhone got snatched yesterday and I don't want to get a 4s as I would have major signal problems where I live. I want to get a 4 again so I'd have to go 2nd hand.

I understand that as long as the phone is not blacklisted then you can generally get it unlocked (at a price presumably) and then use it on your own network...?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

Mink wrote: »

If I were to meet someone to buy an iPhone 4 2nd hand, and let's say I got the imei # off them beforehand, can I do some sort of search of this number to check if the phone is blacklisted?

My iPhone got snatched yesterday and I don't want to get a 4s as I would have major signal problems where I live. I want to get a 4 again so I'd have to go 2nd hand.

I understand that as long as the phone is not blacklisted then you can generally get it unlocked (at a price presumably) and then use it on your own network...?

I presume when you say blacklisted, you mean barred and is only good for scrap. As long as you can see the phone has a sim in it ( the sellers in this case) and it has a signal then your good to go.
    The unlocking side of the equation is a different matter. If its been restored recently, then it probably running iOS 5.2 and no jailbreak or unlock is available yet. On the other hand if the phone is bill or pay as you go with €120-€150 spent over the last few months, then you could avail of getting the phone unlocked from apple. Then it would be factory unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

feeditout wrote: »
    Mink wrote: »

I presume when you say blacklisted, you mean barred and is only good for scrap. As long as you can see the phone has a sim in it ( the sellers in this case) and it has a signal then your good to go.
    The unlocking side of the equation is a different matter. If its been restored recently, then it probably running iOS 5.2 and no jailbreak or unlock is available yet. On the other hand if the phone is bill or pay as you go with €120-€150 spent over the last few months, then you could avail of getting the phone unlocked from apple. Then it would be factory unlocked.

The best way and only way to stop the seller later reporting the phone lost/stolen and you have it legally is to get him to write out a receipt to say you bought the phone on this date sold by who ever etc . If then in a few weeks you get the no service message up you can go to the network or Garda with some fall back.I always do that when buying a second had iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

feeditout wrote: »

Damn I should have updated the software on mine to iOS 5, however, we did get the IMEI blocked within 15 mins of it being stolen, so I presume the phone (as in mine that got stolen) can no longer be used now.

I guess I'll have to ask a lot of questions of the seller if buying a 2nd hand one and get a full receipt as another poster said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Hey guys I recently got my hands on a bricked iphone 3g, after sorting it out I'm having trouble installing a custom firmware on it, it says the "firmware file is not compatiable" Any ideas, cheers :)
    Edit: any one have experience with funfoneshop.co.uk ? is it legit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 josh79

Hi guys I hav my phone insured wit carphone warehouse,last yr my phone got damaged and they replaced it for me I hav since finished my contract with o2 and tried to get them to unlock it but they havnt got the emei number or unlocking code as the one I now have came from the insurance company who say they don't have unlocking codes for hand sets they give out,does anyone hav any suggestions for unlocking it ( it's an iPhone 3GS wit updated software ) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

no one has unlock codes for iphones, ring o2 again as they are the only ones who can get apple to unlock it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Just switched from billpay to prepay with 3 today and want info on how to go about setting up 'free' tethering to my ipad.

My ipad 1 is on 5.1 & my iphone is in 5.0.1.

Do both devices need to be on the same ios version?
    Do i need to jailbreak both my phone & ipad for the free tethering tweak to work? (what IS that tweak called again??)
    Havent been keeping up to date much on jailbreakibg recently but is there a 5.1 jb untethered yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Hi Guys...
    My iphone 4 on 5.0.1 4.11.08 has been blacklisted by 3 after it was realised as stolen. I bought it off adverts from a scut who is going to get away with his crime it seems
    Anyway - i get no service here in ireland and just use it as an ipod. While in portugal last wk though it had full service. I could make calls no prob!

Anyone got any idea how this can be possible?
    And does it say anything about the possibility of getting it unlocked? 3 will not speak with me even though i will return it to the orig owner and lose the money i spent on it.

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hi Guys...
    My iphone 4 on 5.0.1 4.11.08 has been blacklisted by 3 after it was realised as stolen. I bought it off adverts from a scut who is going to get away with his crime it seems
    Anyway - i get no service here in ireland and just use it as an ipod. While in portugal last wk though it had full service. I could make calls no prob!

Anyone got any idea how this can be possible?
    And does it say anything about the possibility of getting it unlocked? 3 will not speak with me even though i will return it to the orig owner and lose the money i spent on it.
    The phone is only blacklisted on Irish networks, that's why it works abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hi, about to attempt first Jailbreak/Unlock.

I have an iPhone 4 - 4.2.1

Which is the best Jailbreak method with unlocking it.

Or even just to unlock it.

Is it Redsn0w? I have been looking around, i would just like some advice on which is the preferred method.

Also, Would i be better off upgrading the ios to a newer one before i unlock it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hi, looking for some help with SSH and file transfer.

My phone is unlocked and I have Cydia and SSH installed. Im using iOS 5.1 unlocked on iPhone 4. I installed the theme Suave HD but it seems that Cydia version of the theme doesnt have the updates for iOS5 so many native apps have the old icon

I found an updated version on another website and was able to download the file to my computer. However Im not sure how to transfer it my iphone and where to transfer it to.

I have a Mac running OSX Lion. Can anyone help please?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cookmeister

Hey I have an iPhone 4s with the 5.1 version.

I'm looking for an untethered jailbreak but can't find any! Does anybody know of any I can use and if not do ye know of any date it will be released?

Or if I should opt for the tethered option if it is out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

looking for one myself , only a tethered jailbreak available yet , no eta on untethered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

barryd09 wrote: »
    Just switched from billpay to prepay with 3 today and want info on how to go about setting up 'free' tethering to my ipad.

My ipad 1 is on 5.1 & my iphone is in 5.0.1.

Do both devices need to be on the same ios version?
    Do i need to jailbreak both my phone & ipad for the free tethering tweak to work? (what IS that tweak called again??)
    Havent been keeping up to date much on jailbreakibg recently but is there a 5.1 jb untethered yet?

+1 on this my iphone 4 is running 5.1

Allyall wrote: »
    Hi, about to attempt first Jailbreak/Unlock.

I have an iPhone 4 - 4.2.1

Which is the best Jailbreak method with unlocking it.

Or even just to unlock it.

Is it Redsn0w? I have been looking around, i would just like some advice on which is the preferred method.

Also, Would i be better off upgrading the ios to a newer one before i unlock it?

What is your baseband (modem firmware) version? This is important for determining if you can unlock it.

For the jailbreak, just go to http://www.jailbreakme.com/ and that will do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Potential good news for those people requiring an unlock solution for base band 4.11.08 http://www.howtoarena.com/r-sim-4-unlock-iphone-4-baseband-4-11-08/ r-sim......loos like a type of gevey sim

• Registered Users Posts: 35 newcastlefan

Need help!

I've a locked e mobile iPhone 4s 5.0.1....... Can it be unlocked so I can use it on my vodafone sim...

Please help...

Need help!

I've a locked e mobile iPhone 4s 5.0.1....... Can it be unlocked so I can use it on my vodafone sim...

Please help...
    you already got the answer
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77788167

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Hi guys,

Quick question haven't been using ios for a long while and a friend of mine has just picked up an ip4. It has 4.3.3 on it - if i allow itunes update the ios to 5.1 i'm wondering is there an untethered jb available yet? Doesn't require an unlock only the jb. If there is no untethered jb available for 5.1 i think i read somewhere there is one for 4.3.3. Can anyone advise if there is much diff between the ios versions? Thanks all - i know the answers are probably buried in the thread but dont have time to do much research t the mo

Thks

Arrgh, Dublin Bus updated their app and the current version requires iOS 5.1. I suppose I'll have to ignore that (1) badge on my App Store or else tethered jailbreak. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

using 3gs running ios 5.1 jailbroken with redsn0w, but im having the usual searching.... for signal problem, installed the ultrasnow fix for 5.1 and then the actual ultrasnow program as per instruction on net but still no coverage anyone have any ideas???

deaglan169 wrote: »
    using 3gs running ios 5.1 jailbroken with redsn0w, but im having the usual searching.... for signal problem, installed the ultrasnow fix for 5.1 and then the actual ultrasnow program as per instruction on net but still no coverage anyone have any ideas???
    I presume your baseband is 06.15.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

it is yeah i think main problem was i had installed a non custom ipsw, got around that then got error 3194, found instructions how to get around that then reinstalled ultrasn0w and up and running now:D

Advertisement