Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

must i get a visa label

• 10-04-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

just wondering about this, i got my PR a few months back and we are going over at the end of may, so i was just reading through my visa grant documents again to make sure i had all the boxes ticked when i came upon this.

Checking your visa details

Not all visas for travel to or from Australia require a label to be placed in your passport as
    evidence that a visa has been granted.
    Your visa and passport information is held electronically and can be accessed at any time using
    the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system. VEVO is a free internet service
    available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can see all the details of your current visa,
    including subclass, visa description, grant date, period of stay, grant number, entries allowed
    and conditions that apply to your visa.
    To access VEVO you will either need a Transaction Reference Number (TRN) or a password.
    If you do not have a TRN, you will need to set up a password. You can do this by calling 131
    881 and have one recorded for you (this includes if you have forgotten your password). To
    access your visa details at any time online, simply go to www.immi.gov.au.

- 2 -

If your passport country requires you to have a visa label, you should approach a departmental
    office to have your visa evidenced in your passport as soon as possible.
    Please note that your nearest office with visa evidencing facilities may not be in your country
    of residence, and in some countries visa evidencing is done by a Service Delivery Partner.
    Details of visa evidencing arrangements and addresses and opening times for our overseas offices
    can be found at www.immi.gov.au/contacts/overseas/index.htm.
    If you do not have access to the internet, you can call your nearest Australian diplomatic mission
    for more information on visa evidencing.

so must i have a visa label attached to my/our passports?
    does ireland require me to have a visa label attached?
    what happens if i don't have the visa label attached?
    i followed the link that they have in that section and under ireland it just says that you have to go to the london embassy to apply for visas, had a bit of a look around there but couldn't find anything relating to having to have a visa label.

i was under the impression that we just jump on the plane here and when we get to australia and they scan our passports at the immigration desk that it comes up that we have a visa and they just stamp our passports there.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I doubt you need it but if I was you I would. it comes in handy to be able to prove your residency. Plus if you have the label you know know your right to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

ahh thats grand so, I will have my grant letters going with me so that should cover the ole proving the residencey thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

sponge_bob wrote: »
    ahh thats grand so, I will have my grant letters going with me so that should cover the ole proving the residencey thing.

can i ask did you get a indepentant or sponsered visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Visa label is nothing to do with Ireland so they don't care about it.

If you are ever looking for work in Australia it is handy to have the visa label as most employers and agencies don't know about or couldn't be bothered to register for the VEVO service to check your status.
    I heard that Medicare like you to have a visa label when signing up with them.

I got my label when I got PR, just walked into my local DIAC office and they did it quickly. As of July 1st they will be charging for visa labels so if you arrive before then go get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Didn't need a label before I left. Didn't need one when I got here for work or proof of visa.

The only thing I needed it for was to get a driving licence. I didnt have an irish bank card with me so didn't have enough proof of identification. Ridiculous the amount of documents and proof of identity they wanted. Dep. of Transport wouldn't view my visa via VEVO as they don't accept online visas (which almost all visa's are now e-visas). VEVO is a dep. of immigration official website with visa info yet another government department had no interest in viewing it... I actually laughed at the woman when she said it. Goes to show government departments are the same no matter where you go!

So anyway... The only reason why I now have a label on my passport is because I needed it (not everyone needs it) to get a driving licence out here.. Otherwise I wouldn't have one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Your life will be easier Sponge if you get the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You don't need to get it.

You are entitled to one if you wish.

There's no reason not to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

trixyben wrote: »

can i ask did you get a indepentant or sponsered visa?
    Sponsered

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Get the label, ring london embassy, they will give you the postal address, you post your passport via registered mail and get it back within days.
    nobody here has any interest in your visa grant letter except government departments as they can check immigration computers for valididty, for everybody else they want to see the label which they assume cannot be a fake.
    Get visa label for all of family if more than one of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I would defnitely get the label as its easier to distinguish your Permanent Residence status than that of a Temporary visa holder which seems to be the default these days. It will save you a lot awkwardness and explaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

d.pop wrote: »

Get the label, ring london embassy, they will give you the postal address, you post your passport via registered mail and get it back within days.
    nobody here has any interest in your visa grant letter except government departments as they can check immigration computers for valididty, for everybody else they want to see the label which they assume cannot be a fake.
    Get visa label for all of family if more than one of you.

Except department of transport. Which in Brisbane do not use VEVO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I've an electronic visa and it's an absolute nightmare to have, no department/employer I've delt with have known how to deal with vevo, get a label in your passport if you can.

Advertisement