Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Report Builder for C# App

Options
  • 07-05-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭

I'm building a c# app and would like the user to edit or create new reports within the application without the developers/support team having to do so

Any suggestions on what might do that for me, was thinking crystal

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Nuttzz wrote: »
    I'm building a c# app and would like the user to edit or create new reports within the application without the developers/support team having to do so

Any suggestions on what might do that for me, was thinking crystal

It really would depend on the type of reports and the experience level of the users. It's quite possible (likely) you would need the developers/support team to write the reports in Crystal for the users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Thanks Graham,

Other than crystal is there any other suggestions you might have?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Thanks Graham,

Other than crystal is there any other suggestions you might have?

Sorry Nuttzz, nothing that's going to achieve your objective. I can almost guarantee whatever reports you deliver won't be enough or of the type your users require. I'd also put money on your dev/support guys being called on whatever the solution.

At the end of it all, you'll probably find your users will cut & paste your lovingly crafted reports into Excel where they can butcher the data directly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Graham wrote: »
    Sorry Nuttzz, nothing that's going to achieve your objective. I can almost guarantee whatever reports you deliver won't be enough or of the type your users require. I'd also put money on your dev/support guys being called on whatever the solution.

At the end of it all, you'll probably find your users will cut & paste your lovingly crafted reports into Excel where they can butcher the data directly. :D

Graham hits the nail on the head here. A data dump my be a better option than trying to go down the route of allowing end-users create their own reports. On numerous occasions I've taken the approach of just exporting a database to an .xslx file. The users typically had to select a few parameters so they didn't end up getting the whole database.

But if you're adamant you need end-users to design their own reports you probably won't do much better than Crystal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Have a look at the reporting solution offered by DevExpress or the reporting engine in SQL server perhaps...

Another possibility would be to look at XML/XSL-FO, but you'd need to do some coding yourself to set something like that up. I have a large application generating Factsheets an and similar client reports for about 5000 customers using this approach. Power users can change the layout or look and feel of a report by changing the xml template or style sheet being used to generate the report.

• Advertisement
Advertisement