Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Access to admin code for wordpress

Options
  • 06-05-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

Quick question - I got a website designed/built last year. However I only have the log in and password to be a contributor - the most I can do is upload blog posts.

I now need to be able to edit and update information on the homepage however I cannot.

So far I have figured out this is because I don't have an administrator password/code?

Can anybody tell me if this is correct?

The person I got to design it is gone AWOL!!

Do I have any way of getting administrator status on my website?

Any help or advice would be so greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

belliboo wrote: »
    Hi there,

Quick question - I got a website designed/built last year. However I only have the log in and password to be a contributor - the most I can do is upload blog posts.

I now need to be able to edit and update information on the homepage however I cannot.

So far I have figured out this is because I don't have an administrator password/code?

Can anybody tell me if this is correct?

The person I got to design it is gone AWOL!!

Do I have any way of getting administrator status on my website?

Any help or advice would be so greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance.

Do you have the details of your web hosting company?

They should be able to provide you with access to your database where "you" (possibly not you specifically) can get the admin password changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 belliboo

Hi Draiochtanois & Treepole.

Yes, I do know the web hosting company. I contacted them awhile ago and they mailed me some information

a welcome email with lots of information.

I know nothing about coding, websites etc so its all double dutch to me.

There is a site admin login there and that gives me access to something called a cpanel.

there is also info about a ftp login ...........

Is this any use?

Thanks again in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Talisman

You can create a new Admin user if you have access to the database. It's very technical for people who are out of their comfort zone with the hosting backend. Your hosting company may be willing to oblige you and do the work on your behalf.

How to Add an Admin User to the WordPress Database via MySQL

Hey Talisman,

Thank you so much for that link - the instructions and video are great.

I am after making a mistake though and I don't know how to fix it.

This is what's on my screen
    #1062 - Duplicate entry '4' for key 'PRIMARY'

how do I go back? or fix it?

I'm so grateful for the help. thank you in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you are simply following the example it is more than likely that there is already a user with the ID value of 4.

You can browse the wp_users table and see what the next possible value for the field is and use it in place of the 4 in the example.

The only ID value in use is 1.

I think I am just doing something really stupid.

I feel like I am getting close. My problem is now when search the login page I get the website but this comes up.

404 not found. and when I go to wordpress login - my old log in as a contributor still works but nothing for new one.

Folks, I know this is not an IT support group. But any help would be so greatly appreciated.

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Draoicthanois, Treepole &Talisman.

Advertisement