Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTI level 6 vs GMIT level 6 in software development

• 28-01-2015 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

You'll need to link to the respective courses if you want answers beyond what you'd get in the Work & Jobs forum. As in an assesment of the technical merits of each.

I'd just say with the FETAC award you can always hit the job market once it is complete. Then if that qualification isn't sufficient for gaining employment you could jump into another year long course. So in effect you'd be hedging your bet and if it isn't going well go back for another year. Of course you'd have to identify suitable courses for the potential second year.

I imagine it would be difficult to find a software development job with just a level 6. You'd be heavily reliant on project work for showcasing your competency. And you might be automatically filtered out by HR and recruiters when applying for jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I did the GMIT Software Dev course (Its 3 years by the way not two as you stated). Graduated about 9 years ago.

Your right in your assumption that the GMIT course will cater for someone who has never seen a bit of code in their life.
    They also give you modules in supporting topics such as graphics, web development, languages, business studies which may be of no use to you depending on what you want out of the course.

So yes you are going spend a lot of time studying topics which you may have no need for.

So the question really is...What is your current experience and do you want to do all the extra stuff that GMIT will supply?

Also put it this way. If you do the GMIT course your first few weeks will be getting an understanding of writing a Hello World program. Could you stand doing that if its way below your current level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you're looking for a job, then the GMIT is perceived (rightly or wrongly) as better than the FETAC award. You have to keep that in mind too. And the BSc is definitely regarded much, much higher than any certificate or diploma.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bobs ur uncle

"She thinks the course in GMIT would be easier because the workload for a level 6 is spread over two years instead of compressed into roughly 7 months for a FETAC award. I tried to explain to her. That's because GMIT assume a student studying the course knows nothing about computer programming, so they spend the first year getting them up to speed and with the FETAC level 6 I explained that you already have to of had previous experience in the subject area to get onto the course. That's why it is only one year , so in short, who is correct? "

you are. GTI assumes you have past experience. if you want to learn fast, study and get through college with a better foundation: do the level 6 gti course, it would certainly be more intensive than first year in GMIT. though you would need to either 1) have past experience working in IT 2) lower level course done like level 5 IT 3) study java/mysql during summer before attending/doing interview. if your a mature student (if your engaged im pretty sure youl fall in that category in their eyes) youl have a handy enough time getting into the level 6 so long as you show you have put some effort into learning java/mysql.

"Lastly, she argued that qualification received from GMIT. Although technically at the same level would be worth more in terms of gaining employment than a similar FETAC course could she be right? "

makes no difference what so ever. iv been told by masters/phd students (brother and gf) that lecturers have often said you are only as good as your last exam. so emloyers will only look at your results for your highest level certification and where you got it, so what grades i just got in the level 6 fetac wont matter in the slightest once i have the full degree. your understanding of what you learnt is probably much much more important in the first 2 years than where you got the cert so in that respect i would certainly say try to get into level 6 gti if you really want to do well and are willing to work harder than the average 1st year student.

i just finished the level 6 (and level 5) fetac in GTI so if you have any specif questions about GTI or the course work/work load, feel free to ask.. il post here in case anyone else is reading up on it.

one point il make: dont fret too much over the exams.. they spoon feed you via mocks.. the project(s)(coding/mysql) are quite a bit harder.. if you learn everything you are taught, you should be fine.. i could even send you the course work you would need for the projects now so you can get a head start(or catch up) on the coding/mysql stuff (most important/hardest imo) but do note: the course is changing a lot afaik so the course work will likely be very different but the actual coding and mysql stuff is foundation(not easy, just very important) stuff no matter where you study IT/coding. MySQL is pretty much a prerequisite for getting a job where ever you want to do IT/coding so theres no harm learning it anyway, and/or doing the oracle cert in it if you have the time(much harder than passing it in GTI, friggin breeze in GTI compared to the proper oracle cert in mysql), learn 20% of the book and youl get a distinction sort of thing.

anyway, im shutting up now.. any questions, just ask or pm me. also, im from mayo so if you actually want to meet up and have a chat about it il be round north mayo this week end and all week.. just a thought.. anyway.. good luck in your studies and hope all goes well for you. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement