Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

using HE shells

• 30-06-2014 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Typically I have only used HE shells rarely usually when I cant penetrate or against open tanks like the Hellcat... so over the weekend I was trying a new tactic.... Use HE shells at the battle start on open maps when engaging over a distance and hopefully damage a few modules/crew and then only use AP when you are closer and can actually pick out a weak spot.....
    TBH I am not sure it helped out as there were times when I got hit with an AP after firing a HE and lost more hit points but curious as to how you approach it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i tend (almost)never to use gold rounds, so in higher tier tanks, from 8 onwards i keep a few for resetting flags and things like that.

lot of people will switch to he against the german glass cannons etc, i dont bother, as im normally in my t30 or 704 or soemthing that will have no problem decimating the no armoured ninja tanks.

though switching to HE for next shot for the extra module damage would be nice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Hardly ever use HE rounds....the odd time when hunting down the last enemies if they are arty.

I stick mostly to normal rounds...but have 8-10 rounds of Premium on most of my Tier 4-6 tanks (along with 4-6 HE)....for the times when I am bottom tier and having a hard time. I prob use Premium most often when I am in my E25 in a Tier 8 match...I figure the extra credits allows me the luxury of using Premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have usually one or two HE for the same reason as copeyhagen, resetting cap and you cannot chance getting a bounce.

Also KV-2 derp

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got one or two too, but I can't remember when the last time I had a need in it. Most of the time reloading does not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I use them from time to time. Obviously on howitzer "derp" guns they are the primary ammunition. They can be devastating against low armoured tanks such as Hellcats, the new German TD line etc.

AP loses penetration over distance while HE doesn't so if shooting at long range and find you're not doing any damage switching to HE is an option.

They're good against enemies on low hitpoints. I think we've all gone for a kill-shot with AP and bounced whereas a HE shell would have killed them.

Against tanks playing peekaboo with their turrets and stuff, I generally load HE to lob at them to make them retreat. It can be especially handy in something like E-100 with long aim-time so you know you won't have enough time to aim for a weakspot with AP so you can just hurtle HE into their face.

Lowest tier in the battle? HE can be useful here too.

Resetting cap is another obvious example of firing HE. A not so obvious example is firing at the ground underneath the enemy tank. The shell will explode and should cause damage to the weak underside of the enemy. This works well if you have a low caliber gun or the enemy has strong/sloped armour and it can be difficult to cause damage with HE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Carry usually the same amount of HE as I do gold ammo just in case.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

I always carry HE shells on all of my tanks, simply to reset a cap or in the case of AP failing at distance, a HE shell can do nearly no damage but knock out a gun. I've even used my Chaffee to reset the cap using HE on a Maus (weak spot observation device on top of the turret).

I also try to remember to use HE on French tanks as 9/10 HE will wreck the Frenchies. That and open top tanks like the T28 Prot, Hellcat, Wolverine etc... and in particular the Borsig and WT PzIV. All of these get fecked up badly by HE when fired into their heads.

Advertisement