Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

• 26-03-2012 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

230729.jpeg
    230730.jpeg
    230693.jpg

boards.ie catleap owners list and info google doc - credit to witnessmenow and his post here
    add yourself here if you havent already please!

Note: some GPU's listed as unsupported do work. eg, 5850, 5970. ask if youre unsure though!

Specs:

-Size : 27"
    -Panel Type: IPS
    -Resolution : 2560x1440 WQHD
    -Screen Ratio : 16:9 WIDESCREEN
    -Static Contrast Ratio 1,000:1
    -Brighness : 380cd/m2
    -Response Time : 6ms
    -Viewing Angle : 178"/178"
    -Input Signal : DVI-D Dual Link ONLY (unless otherwise stated/multi)
    -Power Supply Voltage : DC 24V 5A (all you need is a kettle lead)
    -Power Consumption : 63W(ON), 0.6W(Stanby, off)
    -Product Size with stand : 648mm x 505mm x 259mm

FAQ:
    • These are purchased on eBay from South Korea. Suggested sellers are Samsung_Korea, GreenSum and BigCloth
    • 2B models (READ: those shipped in February 2012 and 120hz.net exclusive limited runs) Catleap monitors can be overclocked to run 100hz+
    • Newer Catleaps seem to have a top OC limit of 65-67hz.
    • A PCB swap is possible to make newer Catleaps OC to 100hz+ and 120hz.net has been looking for a factory to produce the PCB, but its a difficult job, and only expected in 2013. The PCB when produced is expected to cost $50-$80 and will be in a very limited supply.
    • No 240V/120V step down transformer or EU adapter needed. All you need is a generic PSU cable (AKA kettle lead)
    • It's a glossy display, no AG coating
    • Inputs will vary depending on the model you purchased. Dual DVI, audio, power, and HDMI are the only inputs (most will have power/DVI only.)
    • It's an 8 bit display.
    • No OSD (on this basic "Lite" model), just LED backlight brightness (and volume as applicable).
    • It has an LG IPS LCD panel, the same one found in 27" iMacs. The Dell u2711 uses the LM270WQ2, these use the LM270WQ1.
    • Yes, it's fine for gaming. Due to the lack of any extra inputs input lag is on par with a 720p TV. only the very best FPS players could argue for a lower GtoG lag time. I went from a 2ms panel to this and I cant tell a difference, aside from the catleap being incredible.
    • It's 60hz default, not 120hz.
    • Monitor has a VESA mount (3" square). a portion of plastic at the rear is easily removable for easy access to it.
    • There may be a valid manufacturer's warranty, but it requires you to ship the monitor back to Korea (roughly $130 shipping.) Some sellers have started offering 14 day returns (same deal with shipping costs though.)
    • The stand does tilt back and is pretty wobbly.
    • Some sellers ship FedEx others EMS. EMS, once it enters the Ireland, is handed over to An Post.
    • There are more models, similar to Catleap out there, They're using the same panel but different stands etc. other are the Achievia Shiminay etc Only the catleap has the potential to overclock.
    • expect to be hit by customs anywhere from €50-€80. budget for it. Fedex usually posts you the letter a week after you receive it, but may hold it and expect customs upfront, as well as proof of purchase.
    • Delivery is usually between 3-6 days to Ireland.
    Suggested readings and credits go to:

overclock.net yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club [colour profiles can be found under its respective headings]

very in-depth review here and lots of pics

more here

120hz.net

ToastyX for all the work he's put into OCing and colour profiling.
    Attached Images

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Gonna start a thread on this instead of spamming the off topic thread.
    it'll also suffice as a log for my experiences with sending a rather large amount of money to Korea.

I've literally just hit the buy button on a $358 27" S-IPS 2560*1440 Yamakasi Catleap monitor after the seller gave me the all clear to go ahead*

I'm shaking with either excitement, or my lung infection drugs are kicking in. I'm not sure. I'm happy anyway :D

I asked to have it marked as low value gift for customs, but its fedex so I'm not holding my breath. they declare everything.

*more on this later, if my evil scheme works;)

Best of luck with it Tea_Bag, hope it goes well.

Btw, you ask them to mark it "repaired return" as well-worked on a few bits from US for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So how much did it all worked out in euros m8? What sort of delivery times we expect here? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

45540d1328078600-darlingrats-spring-tune-up-master-thread-monitoring.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

glynf wrote: »
    Best of luck with it Tea_Bag, hope it goes well.

Btw, you ask them to mark it "repaired return" as well-worked on a few bits from US for me..
    yea that sounds like a good idea. probably too late to tell them though. ive sent enough messages to them to be annoying already. 90% of people get off without paying customs anyway.
    So how much did it all worked out in euros m8? What sort of delivery times we expect here? :)

it hasnt appeared on my online bank statement yet, but it was $358.60 which im hoping will work out around €280 or less.

Delivery times, you're looking at 2 days for prep, then 5 working days shipping. all goes to plan, and no customs lag, maybe i'll get it next wednesday.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Wow, definitely interested in how this pans out. 280 for that monitor is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Three of these in eyefinity 7,680 x 1440 for less than €900 = :eek: Might be a bit big though..

Certainly liking the look of these kamakazie catnips...

glynf wrote: »
    Three of these in eyefinity 7,680 x 1440 for less than €900 = :eek: Might be a bit big though..

Certainly liking the look of these kamakazie catnips...
    eventually it would be amazing to go down eyefinity with them. 3 of these is cheaper than a single u3011, and u2710 starts at €650.

driving 7680*1440 would be a nightmare though. im gonna struggle to get 60fps on BF3 with my 6990 as it is.

Anyway, cheers for doing it m8. We will learn from your mistakes ;).

I just so wonder now, if you go bigger resolution on single monitor, will your FOV go bigger to in games like bf3? Or FOV only goes bigger in eyefinity setups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

eventually it would be amazing to go down eyefinity with them. 3 of these is cheaper than a single u3011, and u2710 starts at €650.

driving 7680*1440 would be a nightmare though. im gonna struggle to get 60fps on BF3 with my 6990 as it is.

3 of them has a combined width of 70 inches though think of the fov you would have in the heli:P

NTMK wrote: »
    3 of them has a combined width of 70 inches though think of the fov you would have in the heli:P

70inch.... Now that's an E-PENIS!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Ordered one myself last week from dream-seller, dispatched today. Fingers crossed:D

Ordered one myself last week from dream-seller, dispatched today. Fingers crossed:D
    how much did you pay, and how much did your bank fleece you for?

what day last week did you order?

keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Circa €282 if I recall correctly. Charge hasn't shown up yet
    Ordered last thursday around 8pm irish time

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I asked to have it marked as low value gift for customs, but its fedex so I'm not holding my breath. they declare everything.

Talk of such things is frowned upon by some of the mods/cmods, just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I really hope this works so I can do this too!

Is this the same monitor? If so...... :O!

its the same monitor, but the new batch wont OC past 67hz because of a change in PCB. overclockers.net is trying to source a manufacturer who will make them again and doing a transplant is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

did a search for Yamakasi Catleap, and this thread was the first result, congrats Tea_Bag!

Do you know if the screen is glossy or matte?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

its the same monitor, but the new batch wont OC past 67hz because of a change in PCB. overclockers.net is trying to source a manufacturer who will make them again and doing a transplant is easy.
    Which version are you getting? The 67 or 105? I would definitely buy one if I could get it to 105hz for gaming and the colours of an ips.
    Burgo wrote: »
    did a search for Yamakasi Catleap, and this thread was the first result, congrats Tea_Bag!

AFAIK from reading the thread on overclockers.net they're nearly all glossy but there are rebrands you can get with have anti glare coatings.

Which version are you getting? The 67 or 105? I would definitely buy one if I could get it to 105hz for gaming and the colours of an ips.

AFAIK from reading the thread on overclockers.net they're nearly all glossy but there are rebrands you can get with have anti glare coatings.
    there are two versions, relating to the month they were manufactured. 2B and 2C. the 2B's were made in February and could OC upto 105hz. you'd be very lucky to still get one if you ordered now. The 2C (March) produce have the 'updated' add-on PCB that doesnt go past 67hz. some guys did a transplant of the PCB from a 2B to a 2C and got 105hz again, so it really is the only limiting factor. its also an easy swap. im hoping to buy one at a (not much) later date.

the main Catleap/achievia/crossover monitors are all glossy, with no anti-gloss coating.

Burgo wrote: »

All of them are glossy.

It's likely that google is geolocating you to return "more relevant" results to your search queries unfortunately :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭peneau

TB, can you let us know what customs charges you are hit for when this beauty arrives, many thanks.

yea ill certainly do that. my god these people are fast. paid Sunday, received Monday, shipped that afternoon, and its en route in Paris already, with a collection estimated for Friday.

an post have got my HWVS order at the port Louise sorting office since yesterday, and I doubt that will arrive by Friday, and theyre around the corner.

Top Man, thanks, hope that lung infection's cleared up :)

antibiotics did nothing :(

monitor has just cleared Shannon, and should be with me by 6PM tomorrow according to FedEX. problem is, I've work at 6PM tomorrow :(

my friend assures me he'll take care of it, and by that he means play BF3 on if for 6 hours before I even see it..

monitor has just cleared Shannon, and should be with me by 6PM tomorrow according to FedEX. problem is, I've work at 6PM tomorrow :(

my friend assures me he'll take care of it, and by that he means play BF3 on if for 6 hours before I even see it..

That bastard!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

You should be grateful that I'm spending my friday evening extensively testing your monitor for 6 hours to ensure its of the highest quality possible
    < . <
    > . >
    < . <
    :D

NTMK wrote: »
    You should be grateful that I'm spending my friday evening extensively testing your monitor for 6 hours to ensure its of the highest quality possible
    < . <
    > . >
    < . <
    :D

If you get tired Q.C.ing I can chip in an hour or six also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I'm making sure to order mine by a seller that uses EMS.

Brian wrote: »
    I'm making sure to order mine by a seller that uses EMS.
    its too late to affect me, but why out of interest?

it looks like I cleared customs. latest tracking:

Mar 30, 2012 7:46 AM
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    Location SHANNON IE

Estimated delivery:
    Mar 30, 2012 by 6:00 PM

was getting a little worried cause the previous update was:

Mar 29, 2012 12:28 PM
    Shipment exception
    Location SHANNON IE
    Details Held, cleared regulatory agency(s) after aircraft/truck departed

soooo excited :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Because EMS goes through national postal services on reaching the destination country, and in my experience An Post are much less zealous than courier companies.

Advertisement