Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

Maynooth is prob the last and most random place on earth i'd expect to find him! Must start hanging round main street 24/7 so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

gra26 wrote: »
    Maynooth is prob the last and most random place on earth i'd expect to find him! Must start hanging round main street 24/7 so!

I know. He doesn't really stand out though and especially when you're not expecting it to be him. Wish I'd gone up to say hello but I got an attack of the 14 year old school girl and was too shy. Heard it on 2FM today when they were talking about what celebs people have spotted here as all the TV shows in the US stopped filming for the summer last week, definitely him alright so I know I wasn't seeing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Joshua Jackson?! No way! That's mad. There's a few US celebs that have been known to frequent these parts. I've a friend of a friend who's brother lived with yer man from The O.C. (Benjamin McKenzie is his name, he played Ryan in the show) while they were studying together in Maynooth.

Do. Your. Essay!!

Sorry, I'm talking to myself.
    A friend of a friend who's brother...

That sounds like I'm making it up but I'm really not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

That dude studied in Maynooth? I don't believe a word of it. In fact I just googled and he went to the University of Virginia.

• Advertisement

Did you also google McFly???????????? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

He was in McFly?!

gra26 wrote: »
    Did you also google McFly???????????? :D

I couldn't find that actually. I think e4 messed up and it wasn't mcfly after all.

Well funnily enough that'd make more sense so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Two librarians at a PC downstairs poring through the standard EULA license agreement that you see when installing any program. Wonder how long they where there before I told them they didn't actually have to read it, just click ''accept''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

haha classic, gota love those women and that smiley man.

Beau wrote: »
    haha classic, gota love those women and that smiley man.

Smiley man is a hero. I often see him in the street.

Me: (Passing by) Hey
    Him: (Massive toothy grin) HALLO! *waves with centra roll in hand*

There's a bit of a situation developing here in the library beside me. Anyone else downstairs? A guy at the pc beside me got up to print something, came back with the prints, and got up again to print someting else. Then some A-hole came along, took his prints, put them in the bin and log off his PC. It was right besdie me! I was like ''ehhh''. So naturally when the original guy came back and was like 'wtf' I pointed out hte guy who did it and we went over to him.

Dude 1: Did you bin my notes and log off my PC?
    Asshole: Eh... no.
    Me: Yes, you did. I saw you do ten seconds ago. I was 10 inches from you when you did it.
    Asshole. Ehh...
    Dude 1: Why did you do that?
    Asshole: I didn't.
    Me: YOU DID!
    Asshole: Oh yeah... I did.
    Us: Why?
    Asshole: Eh, you shouldn't be gone for that long.
    dude: I was gone for, like 10 seconds.
    Asshole: I'm better at PCs than you.

We left it at that. Some people are nuts.

Edit: Asshole just went to the toilet. Turned off his pc while he was gone. Justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

banquo wrote: »
    Smiley man is a hero. I often see him in the street.

Me: (Passing by) Hey
    Him: (Massive toothy grin) HALLO! *waves with centra roll in hand*

There's a bit of a situation developing here in the library beside me. Anyone else downstairs? A guy at the pc beside me got up to print something, came back with the prints, and got up again to print someting else. Then some A-hole came along, took his prints, put them in the bin and log off his PC. It was right besdie me! I was like ''ehhh''. So naturally when the original guy came back and was like 'wtf' I pointed out hte guy who did it and we went over to him.

Dude 1: Did you bin my notes and log off my PC?
    Asshole: Eh... no.
    Me: Yes, you did. I saw you do ten seconds ago. I was 10 inches from you when you did it.
    Asshole. Ehh...
    Dude 1: Why did you do that?
    Asshole: I didn't.
    Me: YOU DID!
    Asshole: Oh yeah... I did.
    Us: Why?
    Asshole: Eh, you shouldn't be gone for that long.
    dude: I was gone for, like 10 seconds.
    Asshole: I'm better at PCs than you.

We left it at that. Some people are nuts.

Edit: Asshole just went to the toilet. Turned off his pc while he was gone. Justice!

It's people like that arsehole who assume they own the fricking library that make me wish that in the "new" library that only people who really actually wanted to study IN SILENCE and properly without interference from people who think the library is like the Roost with books would be allowed in. Impossible but I would be estatic should that happen.

Example: Last Wednesday I was doing a last minute job on that Spanish essay that I'd been trying and trying to do but failed. Essay had to be in at 4pm, I was in the Library at abotu half 10, research complete, still had to be typed out. Couldn't get a seat on the third floor which is where I usually sit, so sat on the second floor. I had peace until about half 11 when 2 girls, one of the girls' boyfriends and about 4 other people all decided to sit at the table where I was at aswell. Grand. I dont mind other people as long as they keep their mouths shut. I had about 700 words written, just needed another 1500. These pricks, who were in their final year judging by their notes which were all over the table, proceeded to eat crisps, draw on each other, feel each other up, laugh and play 'Kids' really loudly through earphones as well as having 15 minute conversations with anyone they knew who went by.

I hate confronting people because I feel like a wagon for doing it but these people would not stop. So at about half 2, after 2 hours of non-stop chat and laughter I said in a half-bitchy, half-pleading voice "Can you all please be quiet? I'm trying to do an essay and other people are trying to work. Go downstairs if yous want to have the craic please because I cannot concentrate with the way yous are carrying on". They were silent for about 5 minutes and then just started talking again. I just angrily typed out the rest of my essay and got the fcuk outta there.

Sorry, in case you cant notice, my extra longer than usual rant about fcukers in the library is a form of procrastination from studying for Irish Literary Traditions tomorrow.

Library = :mad:
    Exams = :mad:
    Petit Filous returning as my new favourite food = :D

I feel your pain.

A few seconds ago - my reason for logging in now - the same guy came back to the downstairs PCs and the bag on his back knocked over a chair, someone's huge pile of notes, and one of the machines you put your printing card into and the stand it was on. it was perfect timing actually as I was just recounting the earlier events to a friends and was able to say ''That's the guy!''

Bring back eugenics tbh.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    That dude studied in Maynooth? I don't believe a word of it. In fact I just googled and he went to the University of Virginia.

Apparently he did a year here.

First exam in 12 hours. Can't find my exam sheet thing. Can I get a new one in the morning? Anyone know where and how much?

You don't need it. Make sure you bring your student ID though.

Assignment due at 4...starting now. GO! GO! GO! GO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

^best of luck!

How does this Summer/Christmas business work out in our grades, If I *just* fail a module exam after doing really well in its eqv. at Christmaswould I be alright?

One of these exams is looking nasty, the rest quite meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

PrivateEye wrote: »
    ^best of luck!

How does this Summer/Christmas business work out in our grades, If I *just* fail a module exam after doing really well in its eqv. at Christmaswould I be alright?

One of these exams is looking nasty, the rest quite meh.

I think if it's a compulsory module you need 40% or you have to repeat it. Otherwise, as long as it's over 25% you can compensate with other modules.

BUT - and this is the complicated part - you CANNOT pass an exam from one period with marks from another.

Say you have one repeat exam in augest, and you get 35%. You can't pass it by compensation with marks from Christmas or summer. If you just miss passing by compensation (i.e. there aren't enough marks to go around) then you can't pass a christmas exam with a summer exam.

• Advertisement

Hmm, I failed a module with 33% at Christmas, a compulsory one, but I'm fairly sure the Academic office told me I can pass by compensation if I got over 56% in another module, which I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Hmm, I failed a module with 33% at Christmas, a compulsory one, but I'm fairly sure the Academic office told me I can pass by compensation if I got over 56% in another module, which I did.

Actually there's a bunch of info here.

Apparently there's a difference between a required module, which requires 40% without compensation, and a compulsory one

:( Does that mean I've failed college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Its alright we still love you.

One down, however many to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Please do my survey! Its on the viability of a Subway store in Maynooth, its for my thesis. There are only 9 questions so it only takes a second.

http://www.tigersurvey.com/survey.php?survey=10826

Thanks in advance.

1 nescafe instant cappucino + 2 spoons of coffee + 1 spoon sugar + hot water and milk + old skool manson + some chocolate = jumpy legs. An hour ago I was half asleep.

banquo wrote: »
    BUT - and this is the complicated part - you CANNOT pass an exam from one period with marks from another.

Say you have one repeat exam in augest, and you get 35%. You can't pass it by compensation with marks from Christmas or summer. If you just miss passing by compensation (i.e. there aren't enough marks to go around) then you can't pass a christmas exam with a summer exam.

I think it depends on the subject. I can't compensate over semesters in French but I can in Geography.

First exam out of the way. 4 more to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

First one tomorrow. Rye Hall. 12.30. BRINGERON.

It's not her I'm worried about, it's Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

First exam on monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭mp3guy

First exam today. Gone are the days of being able to do all 4 questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement