Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CBR600F1 '02 Battery Life

• 18-08-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

not sure if this is the correct thread to post in. Earlier this summer I got a CBR600F1 as a comeback bike after many years off. However, to my mind it seems to be draining the battery quite a bit.

Last week while I was out on a spin, the bike seemed to act like it was running out of fuel, then just died. It would not turn over and the dash went blank when I hit the starter. A mate jumped it off his van and I got the four miles home by leaving the lights. This isn't the first time it died even though I was charging the battery well.

I bought a new gel battery, stuck it in and went for a spin, no problems, stuck it on the trickle charger and yesterday morning it was at 12.95v on the bike. Went for a spin from Wexford up the wicklow gap (about 120 miles covered) and it was at 12.5v at the end.

When I rev it the lights brighten as it should however, there is about a 2v drop on the multimeter when I turn on the heads while running.

What should a bike this size normally drain out of the battery?
    Is it more likely I have a rec problem?

Any feedback would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

GoTilUBlow wrote: »
    Hi,

not sure if this is the correct thread to post in. Earlier this summer I got a CBR600F1 as a comeback bike after many years off. However, to my mind it seems to be draining the battery quite a bit.

Last week while I was out on a spin, the bike seemed to act like it was running out of fuel, then just died. It would not turn over and the dash went blank when I hit the starter. A mate jumped it off his van and I got the four miles home by leaving the lights. This isn't the first time it died even though I was charging the battery well.

I bought a new gel battery, stuck it in and went for a spin, no problems, stuck it on the trickle charger and yesterday morning it was at 12.95v on the bike. Went for a spin from Wexford up the wicklow gap (about 120 miles covered) and it was at 12.5v at the end.

When I rev it the lights brighten as it should however, there is about a 2v drop on the multimeter when I turn on the heads while running.

What should a bike this size normally drain out of the battery?
    Is it more likely I have a rec problem?

Any feedback would be great.
    The Reg/rec is a known weak point on these bikes.
    There are various solutions but the cheapest and quickest is to fit a Mosfet Reg/rec from a later model bike and change the plugs over to fit the newer type reg/rec.
    The Mosfet reg recs are Prefixed FH 009, FH010, FH011, FH012,FH020.
    The Later Fireblade has one which is FH014 which uses a strange connector that is completely different from the others.
    R1's used them from 04 but they need the massive fins cut back to fit in most places on a bike not designed for them.
    Easternbeaver.com sell the plug kits for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

Thanks CJ all my highly educated googling has led me to the conclusion that replacing the standard one is a bit of a waste of time. Going to see how this new battery goes first. It's probably the rec though. The second long spin on it should tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i had the same issue on the f4, driving with the lights on felt like i was running out of fuel. replaced rec and was grand

Thanks Inchiuvatu - all the evidence is racking up. Anyone any idea how much battery is sucked up on a normal spin with dipped headlights on, or should the battery remain fairly well charged by the stator?

The Bike should be able to support all the electrical loads that were originally fitted to it.
    In other words you should be able to ride around with dipped headlights and not have any problems with low charge, the only time you might find it a problem is if there is lots of short hops where the constant drain of starting can lower the battery without being recharged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Those Electrex R/R are good, but the problem is that the original connectors are actually part of the problem.
    Not uncommon to find the plugs melting and burning from too much resistance.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQavYCyG7PJHCndZg2VLoHYjmjhFvLfynKoV8zlcQ6cakes8az_ng
    Modern sealed type plugs are a lot better than the old ones as they keep the terminals clean and dry preventing corrosion.
    If you do buy a plug and play version make sure you replace the old plug on the bike as well to avoid problems down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

I'm on my 3rd Reg/Rec on the CBR.

Apparently you are supposed to replace the battery when you replace the reg/rec - unlike me, who then found that out a couple of months afterwards when I had to go looking for a new reg/rec...

This is the latest one I got, however they sent me it out with the shorter leads, so I sent it back to them and they replaced it with one with longer leads.

It also comes with a negative wire separate from the main loom that you connect directly to the negative battery terminal, which is supposed to stop the reg/rec frying itself. Seems to be working so far anyway...

Maybe I should have got that GN125 after all :)

The fairings are coming off for a service this week, so will see how it goes. Battery is brand new. Hopefully two spins & a charge won't affect it. Thanks for all the feedback so far, will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Keith186

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The Bike should be able to support all the electrical loads that were originally fitted to it.
    In other words you should be able to ride around with dipped headlights and not have any problems with low charge, the only time you might find it a problem is if there is lots of short hops where the constant drain of starting can lower the battery without being recharged.

Had this on two of my Hondas, short hops really drained it, medium trips didn't help much either so best to get it fixed sooner rather than later cos it won't last too long. I fried a new battery first time it happened because I didn't know it was the rectifier and only replaced the battery.

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »
    I fried a new battery first time it happened because I didn't know it was the rectifier and only replaced the battery.

When you say fried, do you mean it just died or did it boil/burn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Keith186

GoTilUBlow wrote: »
    When you say fried, do you mean it just died or did it boil/burn?

Died completely and had to get another new one.

So, got a new battery in the end, charged it up fully.
    Went for a spin last week and didn't get to use the bike until this weekend.
    On Saturday morning the multimeter said 12v, went out for a spin.
    Checked the voltage again Sunday morning and it was 12.5v. Looks like the old battery was not holding charge. Happy days.

So, the saga is drawing to a conclusion, last week I was riding to work in Dublin, bike running fine, pulled in for petrol. Went to start it, low and behold, not enough juice to turn it over. Got a chap that worked in the services to give me a bump and got to work with the lights off. Started it for the trip home, no worries, but rode home with no lights just to be safe.

Into the shop with here, the mechanic says the rec is fine.... for five minutes, once running & hot, it drops charge. So new rec in the offing. With the amount of work I've done on this bike, the next owner is in for a real treat! But, once the test is out of the way will need to get something a bit larger and comfier.

CBR600F, if you think it might be the rectifier, it probably is!!

Advertisement