Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major apply dilemma! Help appreciated

• 19-06-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all,

A few weeks back my iphone battery started to act up (getting really hot, draining really quick and it even died a few times while plugged in) but i left it for a while because i didn't want to be without a phone, however since then, the screen has now cracked.
    I rang apple and explained all this and basically they told me even though the phone was in warranty, they wouldn't fix the battery problem without fixing the screen and the fact the screen was broken, it voided my warranty for this instance.
    They told me i had to pay 260 euro for it all to be repaired which, is just outrageous.

However now im stuck, i can go and the screen fixed for 70 euro in a shop at home, but that voids the warranty and il be left with a ****ty battery!

The phone is only 6 months old, and to have to pay 260 euro for basically a new screen and the battery ( which should be covered by warranty) is outrageous. The apple guy on the phone told me to restore the whole phone and that would fix the battery as diagnostics came up good, however the battery is still broken.

Please please please give me some advice here, i havent a clue what to do!

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭guil

Get a new battery fitted by whoever quoted €70 for the screen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don't think any manufacturer will repair a phone with a cracked case or screen. it leaves them liable to have to fix everything after that even if it has been caused by the crack. For the €260 I think you get a refurb phone anyway, which is like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Shanew14

guil wrote: »
    Get a new battery fitted by whoever quoted €70 for the screen.

Ye but apple are saying the battery is fine

whiterebel wrote: »
    I don't think any manufacturer will repair a phone with a cracked case or screen. it leaves them liable to have to fix everything after that even if it has been caused by the crack. For the €260 I think you get a refurb phone anyway, which is like new.

Oh no i understand that, its just a lot having splashed 600+ less than 6 months ago

Did you restore the phone and set it up as a new phone and test the battery?

• Advertisement

Ye last night.. Got from 12-6 :(

Did you install any apps? Did you restore a backup?

I didn't use the back up, I installed Facebook Twitter snapchat and open 24

Shanew14 wrote: »
    I didn't use the back up, I installed Facebook Twitter snapchat and open 24

Sorry wrong quote.. Ye I restored it last night

Is background app refresh on? Someone here said when that was enabled for Facebook it seemed to affect the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah just get the chap that's fixing the screen to put a new battery in it while he's at it.

Is background app refresh on? Someone here said when that was enabled for Facebook it seemed to affect the battery.

Will turn that off now! And try tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I have the same problem with my 2 month old iPhone 5S. From one day to the next the battery started draining very fast. I did not change any settings or download any new apps. Overnight -without use, all apps closed- I lose at least 60% charge, that used to be 0-2%. Light-normal use now doesn't get me past 2pm (from full charge in the morning). Only use apple chargers. I did a reset which didn't help, unfortunately I'm on holiday -without my MacBook- so I can't do a restore (can't afford to lose all the data on my phone). Will report back when I get home and do a restore but have a feeling this one is going back to apple...

flyguy wrote: »
    I have the same problem with my 2 month old iPhone 5S. From one day to the next the battery started draining very fast. I did not change any settings or download any new apps. Overnight -without use, all apps closed- I lose at least 60% charge, that used to be 0-2%. Light-normal use now doesn't get me past 2pm (from full charge in the morning). Only use apple chargers. I did a reset which didn't help, unfortunately I'm on holiday -without my MacBook- so I can't do a restore (can't afford to lose all the data on my phone). Will report back when I get home and do a restore but have a feeling this one is going back to apple...
    Yep seems about right! But Apple won't sort it without the screen in my case! Grrrr

Did restore and no improvement. Arranged advance replacement option today. Still had to pay the €29, thought it was free as phone is <90days old (isn't apple care complimentary for that period?).
    Anyway new 5s on the way (and a new lightning cable, 2 of them broke already).

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

Did restore and no improvement. Arranged advance replacement option today. Still had to pay the €29, thought it was free as phone is <90days old (isn't apple care complimentary for that period?).

Both phone and cable broke already you sure it's not a Chinese rip off you have.

Well not sure if the cable actually came with this phone, could be from iPhone 5, or the other 5 or the iPad mini or maybe the iPad Air;-)
    Phone came from vodafone, not aware of them selling Chinese copies...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thats not Apple Care, its the Express replacement option, you get the replacement before you send in the faulty one.

Appreciate the reply mate! Looks like my hands are tied here and it's gonna have to be sent to Apple :( and I'm gonna have to pay 260€

whiterebel wrote: »
    Thats not Apple Care, its the Express replacement option, you get the replacement before you send in the faulty one.

Advance replacement is free if you've apple care. However I found out that the 90-day period is only free phone advice not full apple care...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Just for anyone having battery drain issues. I ran into a similar problem myself with a new iPhone 5S. After much trial and error, trying all the usual turning off background refresh for facebook, etc. It turned out it was the podcast app I was using, Instacast 4. I switched to a different app and presto no more battery drain. So if anyone uses Instacast regularly and has similar issues, that could be your issue.

Advertisement