Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live woolly mammoth filmed in Siberia?

• 13-02-2012 11:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Or that's what they say. It certainly looks a lot like a mammoth but then again, it looks just as much as a large brown bear carrying a very large fish on its mouth. And that's much more likely :D Also, they cleverly avoid showing the animal out of the water.
    But it's an interesting video nonetheless, so here you have it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0i4YzT_jYs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Is it in a snow storm ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

mattjack wrote: »
    Is it in a snow storm ?

I don´t think so... it would be even less visible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That's a mouth with a bear in it's fish

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

baraca wrote: »
    That's a mouth with a bear in it's fish

No, it's more like a fish with a mouth in it's bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Bearing in mind I'm no expert, there's definitely something fishy about that video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Galvasean wrote: »
    No, it's more like a fish with a mouth in it's bear.

It's bear grylls with a bear in his
    ... ah nevermind

It's fake... Just like the 'newspaper' that supports that video

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Haha, its ironic how I post several threads about actual paleontology and I only get comments on the fishy (in more than one way?) mammoth video. Screw this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I could not bear to see another video like that. I want a salmon salad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Live Science article which also casts some doubt on its authenticity.

I watched the video again in full screen and the front leg appears below where it would be visible if the waterline was consistent with the rest of its body.

And here's a news report stating that it is a fake and that the original footage was of the river without any animal in the footage.

Advertisement