Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due May 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

Spent all yesterday with what felt like a killer hangover, pukey everytime I moved, ate or drank anything. Woke up this morning feeling better, great stuff, except I now have a horrible taste in my mouth, tastes like I've got nail varnish remover in my mouth. Never had this in my first. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had my sister in laws wedding this weekend- great weekend but I am beyond exhausted. I'm very glad we told her, my parents and my mother in law as it meant I could go to have a rest etc when needed without there being any issues. Feel like I need to sleep for a week to recover and obviously I wasn't even drinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

That bad taste in your mouth is meant to be awful, hope it goes away soon for you!

We had a family wedding this weekend too, still havent told a soul and it was pretty funny when my sis in law started giving me tips for if we ever ttc and then her husband was telling us the worst words a man will ever hear are "I'm pregnant", lol! I'll remind him of that when he congratulates us :D Wasn't any more tired than usual after it, nursed one glass of wine all night and nobody noticed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Got my first faint bfp fri evening on an internet cheapie. Then a positive on a first response and cb digital (1-2 pregnant) on sat morning with fmu. Did another cb digital this morning with fmu and result was not pregnant. The internet cheapie was a faint bfp again this morning. I am 15 dpo and period was due yesterday.
    What am I to do??? Feeling very sad/confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrsB2be

Hold off for a few days Blingy, I had neg tests until AF was late by 9 days!
    Hubby thought I was mad because I kept telling him I knew I was pregnant!

• Advertisement

MrsB2be wrote: »
    Hold off for a few days Blingy, I had neg tests until AF was late by 9 days!
    Hubby thought I was mad because I kept telling him I knew I was pregnant!

Thanks will test again in a few days.

Blingy wrote: »
    Thanks will test again in a few days.

Couldn't wait. Tested with FR and the bfp came up immediately. Panic over for now.

Ant with it not being first thing in the morning that's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrsB2be

Couldn't wait. Tested with FR and the bfp came up immediately. Panic over for now.

Woohoo!

I was exactly the same at the start, kept testing as I felt I couldn't possibly be lucky enough to actually be pregnant!

By this time next week I'll have had my first scan - can't wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Yay I get to join the May train! Just back from the doc there and she confirmed I'm 5 weeks and due 26. May, this will be our first baby and I'm so excited! I'm thinking of doing the Domino Scheme as my sis in law just went through them & had a good experience and it's all nice and local. Does anyone have good excuses for not drinking?! It's my birthday next month and there are a few dinner parties on and I feel it will get noticed and I would prefer not to tell anyone til 12weeks.. Congrats everyone!

Blood pressure tablets, well that's what I'm saying. Had high BP on last pregnancy and through stress ended up on a low dose during the summer. Everyone still thinks I'm on them so no questions about drinking or bugging me about getting pregnant again.

That's a good one thanks Buttercup!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

That's great news :)

I'm due on 31st May. Got my BFP on Sat, the day before AF was due. I tested again this morning and it was still a positive thankfully.

For a total newbie - what should be my next step? An appointment with my gp? And is my first hospital appointment booked through my gp?
    I can't really ask experienced friends or family as we want to keep it between just us (and the internet!) for a good few more weeks.

I also forgot to ask my doctor are normal multi vitamins ok or are pregnacare are the best ones to take?

WittyName1 wrote: »
    for a total newbie - what should be my next step? An appointment with my gp? And is my first hospital appointment booked through my gp?
    I can't really ask experienced friends or family as we want to keep it between just us (and the internet!) for a good few more weeks.

Where I am your first hospital appt needs gp referral, apparently some hospitals you can just make the appt yourself, but for your first time the gp appt would be good to go through questions and stuff. I got bfp the day my period was due, so at 4 weeks, I went to the gp to confirm it at 6 weeks, more to be sure that I'd be in plenty of time for the booking 12week scan, I was going to leave it a bit longer.

Where I am your first hospital appt needs gp referral, apparently some hospitals you can just make the appt yourself, but for your first time the gp appt would be good to go through questions and stuff. I got bfp the day my period was due, so at 4 weeks, I went to the gp to confirm it at 6 weeks, more to be sure that I'd be in plenty of time for the booking 12week scan, I was going to leave it a bit longer.

Thanks for that :)

I'm 4wks and 1day today so will make a gp appointment for next week sometime, and will continue to google everything I need to know until then.
    It's very exciting. I'm almost afraid to believe it's true though!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, almost afraid to post here cause I don't even believe it but got my BFP today with a clear blue digital, says I'm 1-2 weeks, it's only our first month trying for our first baby so were in a bit of shock but so happy and excited, so I guess I'm looking for some advice, so afraid it's not true or something will happen, I'm naturally an anxious person so you can just imagine!! I will be 4 weeks on Thursday, so do most people wait until they are at least 6 weeks to go to the gp? Don't want to go to early incase something happens before then as I know it's so early, congratulations to all xxx

WittyName1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that :)

I'm 4wks and 1day today so will make a gp appointment for next week sometime, and will continue to google everything I need to know until then.
    It's very exciting. I'm almost afraid to believe it's true though!

I was the same, now I'm at the stage where I'm afraid it is real, in the middle of the "what have we done!" thoughts, which I hear are perfectly normal...still terrifying though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Wtf are bfp tr cb af etc????

• Advertisement

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Wtf are bfp tr cb af etc????

They're abbreviations that I'm pretty sure aren't allowed on boards but I only used bfp because lots of others did :o bfp is Big Fat Positive, ie a positive pregnancy test. af is (cringes in preparation hate this phrase) Aunt Flo, period. No idea what the other ones you mentioned are.

Witty name I'd ring your hospital first epescially if you're public. I rang as soon as I found out and actually have my 12 week appt. at 12 weeks the first week in Nov. you can always get your dr to send your letter in when you see them, but I'd ring the hospital first thing in the morning, are you going for combined care?

Witty name I'd ring your hospital first epescially if you're public. I rang as soon as I found out and actually have my 12 week appt. at 12 weeks the first week in Nov. you can always get your dr to send your letter in when you see them, but I'd ring the hospital first thing in the morning, are you going for combined care?

I don't think that's possible with every hospital, with mine I can't ring and book the appt, I have to be referred by my gp.

How did everyone decide on what level of care to go for? I think I'm going with holles st but mainly because of proximity to work. Looking into all options but not really sure what to go for.

How did everyone decide on what level of care to go for? I think I'm going with holles st but mainly because of proximity to work. Looking into all options but not really sure what to go for.

Where we live our choices are public or private, same hospital (only one local to us). We were planning on going public because we really don't see the benefits of going private and my doctor asked which we wanted and explained that really there was no difference here between both, as the consultant you have going private might not be able to attend the birth anyway if there is an emergency, and in this hospital the waiting times for appointments aren't long anyway going public, so not much is gained being private. I'd love a home birth but for the first I suppose it's best to go with a hospital one, my doctor said that the consultant she recommended is the one most inclined to encourage home births so we'll see.

Yeah sorry meant to say not hospitals will work that way, but ring to see if yours does. The rotunda does and I think the other 2 in Dublin do too. Honestly private and semi private aren't worth the money IMO. I went through the public system last time and the only difference between it and semi p was maybe 30 mins less waiting time at appointments.
    There's different options for public care too, combined where it's 50:50 with your gp, then it can be full consultant led, which sounds like you'll see a consultant but you never do unless you've complications. Then some places do a dominos system which is completely midwife lead, and supposedly great if you can get into it (I couldn't get into mine) then your hospital might have satellite clinics, hopefully I'll get to use those this time.

Yeah sorry meant to say not hospitals will work that way, but ring to see if yours does. The rotunda does and I think the other 2 in Dublin do too. Honestly private and semi private aren't worth the money IMO. I went through the public system last time and the only difference between it and semi p was maybe 30 mins less waiting time at appointments.
    There's different options for public care too, combined where it's 50:50 with your gp, then it can be full consultant led, which sounds like you'll see a consultant but you never do unless you've complications. Then some places do a dominos system which is completely midwife lead, and supposedly great if you can get into it (I couldn't get into mine) then your hospital might have satellite clinics, hopefully I'll get to use those this time.

Thanks for all of that info! I think I might go with The Coombe as my friends/relations have all chosen it. I will have to look into it a bit more though, and see if the Domino service is available where I am living.

It's great being able to get info from people on here like yourself who are going through it all at the same time.

I need to google any lists of do's and don'ts during pregnancy now, including any no-no foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The Dublin hospitals are all of a similar standard tbh so go with the one closest to your workplace or home. I work up the road from the Rotunda so it was a no-brainer. You'll be glad of it when the appointments become more frequent near the end and you'll feel a *lot* less like travelling!

Coombe now has a birthing pool too, I'd kill for a birthing pool!

• Advertisement

We've gone private, mostly due to my weight making the pregnancy high risk - also there's the chance of a familial clotting issue which could further complicate things. I'm very interested in the pool, not sure for pushing but definitely for relief during earlier stages

Advertisement