Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due October 2014.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Had scan and all is well😊 am 10 plus 2...getting nuchal fold test in two weeks, hoping nothing shows and i can actually relax and enjoy being pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Fittle wrote: »
    Had scan and all is well😊 am 10 plus 2...getting nuchal fold test in two weeks, hoping nothing shows and i can actually relax and enjoy being pregnant!

I have my scan on April 1st and I'll be 12 + 6 then so I think the nuchal test will be done then too in addition to the dating aspect of the scan.
    I'm dying for the scan as I've managed to hold off getting an early one somehow so have yet to see or hear the little one.
    However, also anxious to see what comes of the scan and just want to know that everything is ok. Also don't know what end of me will be up if there is bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Finally! I am 13 weeks tomor and feeling lots better. Am definitely showing now - i was showing after 11weeks - and as I have been off work on hols, I haven't told them yet. I have to work 2 days this week and was hoping to wait til Monday, when my boss is back. Baggiest, loosest tops for those 2 days! Reckon people will notice though...

Will give you a laugh.../ or make you cry in outrage! Was out last week with a friend in a bar and this "acquaintance" of hers - A COMPLETE STRANGER TO ME -asked me straight out... her exact words, as she pointed to my mid-riff, "I'm sorry but |I have to ask...are you pregnant?" :eek: I got such a shock that I said yes and was SOO sorry I wasn't quick enough to say no and teach her a lesson. Isn't that such a no-no??? I haven't even gone public yet and had only just told my friend that evening, as it was too hard to hide. I was still only 12 weeks.

I am planning to go public this wend though as will be meeting a few friends and will be impossible to hide after that. Looking forward to telling people though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Sickness is a big feature in our lives last few days. Nothing really up to now then bam. She can keep nothing down.

Week 13 starts today. Super happy. Also had a good full nights sleep and feel human again for the first time in ages.
    Had a recurrance of mild SPD last night but thankfully it didn't get too bad.
    Have my first scan and hospital appointment next Tuesday. Really looking forward to it. Also mildly anxious to get it out of the way too so that I can see that (in so far as you can at this stage) things are ok.

• Advertisement

Is anyone else getting the nuchal fold test done?
    I have my bloods on Friday and scan next Friday - I am so nervous that my risk might increase at which point, I will probably opt for an amnio or a CVS....I'm into week 12 today and nausea and tiredness have gone thankfully, but it's still a worrying time.

Is anyone else getting the nuchal fold test done?
    I have my bloods on Friday and scan next Friday - I am so nervous that my risk might increase at which point, I will probably opt for an amnio or a CVS....I'm into week 12 today and nausea and tiredness have gone thankfully, but it's still a worrying time.

Is that not a standard test? :confused:

Is that not a standard test? :confused:

It's not invasive, it's a blood test and a scan combined. But it will indicate my risk of chromosomal abnormalities - so (for example) say I have a 1 in 35 chance of having a child with Downs (I'm in my 40s), this will indicate if that risk is increased...it test for Downs, Pateaus and Edwards...
    And if the risk is increased, I can decide to have an amnio or a CVS to let me know for defo....

I wasn't offered it on my first child, when I was in my 30s, but have been offered it this time around.

It's not invasive, it's a blood test and a scan combined. But it will indicate my risk of chromosomal abnormalities - so (for example) say I have a 1 in 35 chance of having a child with Downs (I'm in my 40s), this will indicate if that risk is increased...it test for Downs, Pateaus and Edwards...
    And if the risk is increased, I can decide to have an amnio or a CVS to let me know for defo....

I wasn't offered it on my first child, when I was in my 30s, but have been offered it this time around.

What I meant was is the nuchal fold test not done automatically now rather than it having to be something you opt in or out of? Obviously based on the results you can then decide on having the more invasive test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

What I meant was is the nuchal fold test not done automatically now rather than it having to be something you opt in or out of? Obviously based on the results you can then decide on having the more invasive test.

In the UK it is offered as standard but not in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    In the UK it is offered as standard but not in Ireland.

Thanks for that. You think it would be standard:confused:.

I'd like to have it done. I wonder can I request it at the appointment or should I call and ask about it before hand.

Thanks for that. You think it would be standard:confused:.

I'd like to have it done. I wonder can I request it at the appointment or should I call and ask about it before hand.

I'd phone them first. My friend who is over 35 asked for one and (just be prepared that you're still in Catholic Ireland) the retort from someone in Holles Street was more or less "why would you want one of those, what are your intentions?" etc etc. :eek:

In the UK if you're over 35 you're offered one as standard. I am and really agonized and in the end opted not to have one but they really encourage it. Thankfully at my 20-week scan bubba's nuchal fold looked well within the normal range thank goodness but if you want one, don't be afraid to push for it. I'd definitely phone first so you can arrange it independently if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I had the Nuchal test done in the Rotunda, our obstetrician told me about it when we met her at our 8 week early scan (it's €250 in the Rotunda, not sure about anywhere else). The staff who did the screening were so, so lovely; they sat down with my hsuband and I, talked us through the test and the risks and what all the risk ratios meant, weighed me and took bloods. At the scan itself with had a lovely sonographer who talked through the whole thing with us and told us that from what she could see everything looked great. Although my initial risks based on age were quite high (1/251 for Down's) when they called me the next day they were able to tell me by phone what the results were (1/6500 for Down's even higher for other trisomy conditions, think it's Edwards Syndrome and another I can't remember) and those results were sent out by post too.

As far as I know it's available by request for all women in Ireland if it's not offered to you up front.

I'm in Holles St and it's free as far as I'm aware?
    When talking me through the tests, she also mentioned the Harmony test (just a blood test I think) but at a cost of €800, and its not done at the hospital. She didn't mention a fee for my test at all, so I'm assuming there isn't one? (I hope not anyhow!).

I'm 46 but it was only when I mentioned my age that she said it to me....there really is only a 'choice' if it's Down's, the child wouldn't survive with either of the other two syndromes. Her words to me were 'If it's Edwards or Pateaus, life will cease for the foetus' (meaning I assume, my only option would be a medical termination in the UK).

Just off the phone with the Coombe. Its not offered as standard and your age doesn't matter in terms of the test being suggested to you. You can avail of the scan if you want and it cost €180.00.
    At 37 (which I will be this summer) my risk of Downs is 1/227 and for all other triomies is 1/127.

There was no fee mentioned to me at all - I must ring Holles St.

There was no fee mentioned to me at all - I must ring Holles St.

It would seem that nothing is free so making the call would be worth it.
    The tests can't be analysed in Ireland and they're sent to a lab in London for reading. Thats why there is a charge of at least €100 (for public) and higher for semi/private patients.

At the risk of seeming totally nuts I called the scanning department at the Coombe.
    The cost is actually €250 not €180.00. If you are a public patient it costs €100.00

Given my dates (as I think they are- this could all change) at the time of the appointment (12+6 is where I think I'll be next Tuesday) the lady I spoke to suggested making a provisional appointment for the nuchal test. She said I could be earlier in the pregnancy and then the pressure of time would be removed but if I'm further along than I think then I could find myself out of time for the test.
    The woman I spoke to was absolutely lovely and assured me that I can change my mind any time and that will be fine. She very briefly checked my age and my family history (there is no Downs there at all) and said the risk was low enough and ordered me (nicely) to stop worrying. :)
    Now at least by having the provisional appointment I have a choice which I like.

That's great Penny. Glad you have it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Hi!
    I've been off boards for a few months, but glad to be back and in this group! I'm 12 weeks on Saturday. Had a private scan done last weekend to confirm dates cos I've a pretty irregular cycle.
    My first appointment is in Holles street next Tuesday, I'm going public and going to be transferred to the community midwives all going to plan!
    Hope everyone is doing well :)

• Advertisement

Just off the phone to Holles St about the fee for the Nuchal.

It turns out that because of my age, I am considered in the 'at risk' category and will get this test done as part of my 'process' and because I am public patient (i.e. no fee). It applies to all women over 38.

Scan day today!!!
    Very excited. Appointment at 1:30pm.
    Fingers crossed everything is as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Scan day today!!!
    Very excited. Appointment at 1:30pm.
    Fingers crossed everything is as it should be.

Good luck Penny! Enjoy every second !

Good luck Penny - let us know how it goes:D

So back home after the first appointment and first scan and everything (in so far as you can ever tell at this stage ) is perfectly normal and fine. I got tot he Coombe over 30 mins early for the appointment so got seen for everything very quickly.
    The scan was fantastic. The baby was curled up in an awkward position for seeing anything or for measuring at first and it took some amount of persuasion to get it to cooperate and move about at bit. There was one really cool moment where it gave us a little wave. So there was lots of movement and stretching about in the end and the sonographer said that s/he is a good strong little one and all the bits that need to be there are there and where they should be.
    My dates were pretty much exact and I've been moved a day forward now so I am 13 weeks rather than 12+6.
    It's so lovely to have seen the baby now I can't wait to see it again in 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hey folks, my wife and I had our first proper scan today too. (Been lurking here for a few weeks)!
    All seems good so far. 2 arms and legs and a strong heart beat is all I could have hoped for.
    Best of luck to everyone. I'm encouraging her to register and join in her for support etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

An October 2013 mammy here. I had a beautiful little boy. Well not so little anymore he is a big buster and nearly 6 months old! Best of luck everyone. It's so exciting im actually a little bit jealous :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

congrats liliq, that's great. Is it your first?

That's great, Penny D. Such a relief.

Am 14 weeks tomo. Feeling much more like myself now. More energy. How are people doing?

I'm out girls.

I won't scare or depress you all but my pregnancy was always high risk due to my age, and unfortunately, even though I'm 13 weeks, the baby won't survive.
    The very best of luck to all of you in October - I'll be thinking of you all x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I'm out girls.

I won't scare or depress you all but my pregnancy was always high risk due to my age, and unfortunately, even though I'm 13 weeks, the baby won't survive.
    The very best of luck to all of you in October - I'll be thinking of you all x

I am so sorry to hear that Fittle. Hugs xxx

Advertisement