Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

• 19-04-2012 2:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

The government have launched a website on the Fiscal Treaty - their argument? Vote Yes for Jobs! Now where have we heard that argument before? :rolleyes: http://www.stabilitytreaty.ie/

Not only does the website look like something designed on Mars, but digging deeper you can see the governments total lack of knowledge on the subject in the following line:
    Ireland will be in an EU/IMF Programme until 2013. After that, the aim is to go back to the money markets, as is the norm.
    If we really needed it, we could get financial assistance from the new permanent rescue fund, the European Stability Mechanism. It’s only available to countries which ratify the Treaty.

While every effort is made in preparing material for publication no responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of the State for any errors, omissions or misleading statements on these pages or any site to which these pages connect.

Avoid this like the plague, folks...

How will you vote? 659 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    36% 239 votes
    Cant/Wont Vote
    63% 420 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

no no no no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People do realise we have to make budget cuts right? EU or no EU...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

_Gawd_ wrote: »

I would love to know how much they paid for that website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

AdamD wrote: »

That's not what we are asked to vote on is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

NEIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 martin kelly.

No more budget cuts were suffering enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

smash wrote: »
    I would love to know how much they paid for that website.

'Bout 4 billion I'd guess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

AdamD wrote: »

We have to balance the budget alright but that must be done at home by inserting it into our Constitution not at EU level. All this does is grant the EU more power over us by demanding that we vote or we won't get a second bailout. Do you know what a bailout does? It keeps worthless mismanaged companies afloat....

What we need to do is to liquidate the bad malinvestments and we'll see real growth in 6 months...

Europe - It's not Fascism When We DO It!
    http://metrobloggen.se/metrobloggen/media/189/795_eu_fascism_sweden.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Don't youse go making a holy show of us in front of europe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

With the likes of Phil Hogan, Alan Shatter, Eamon Gilmore telling me to vote yes I guess the only way to vote is NO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Bambi wrote: »
    Don't youse go making a holy show of us in front of europe!!

LOL

Where did this come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Its a quandary. How much of this treaty is political gesticulating? Is it just simply a tool for the German government to show their electorate that they are keeping all these crazy foreigners in line? Will there be any real appetite for fully enforcing it in the future? Should we pass it in the hope that it will be largely forgotten about in the years ahead, in order to make sure we have access to more bailout money?

Or is it the real deal? Are we actually locking ourselves into decades of stagnation? A situation where we actually wont be able to break with annual budget cutting in order to get out of this endless recession, all because we fear real sanctions against us from Europe?

I think like so many things, no one really knows. Least of all the people in Brussels. Or is it Frankfurt. Its all a wing and a prayer. Which is exactly why I think these things shouldnt go to referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

The brits are not going into so we should do the same as our dear neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

It won't matter what way we vote. Peoples memory seems to be getting shorter by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Is this going to be one of those treatys with a wrong answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm voting no and am fully aware of the consequences of that. The only reason the political classes are pushing for a yes vote is because it will protect their own interests. The rest of us face highly austere times whichever way it goes.
    shedweller wrote: »
    It won't matter what way we vote. Peoples memory seems to be getting shorter by the day.

We'll definitely not be asked to vote again. This thing is going ahead whether Ireland signs up to it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Voting no is simply cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I have voted yes to all the recent treaty votes (and re-votes)

That being said i think on this occasion i will be voting No.

The way we are going is unsustainable and houshold charges heading towards a 1000e a year is ridiculous to go on top of all the recent direct and indirect tax increases. The government think they can simply milk us for all they need. A statement needs to be made and a NO vote is the only way to do it.

P.S. A no vote will only result in a rewording (mild restrucure) of the treaty and we will have to re-vote on it before years end but none the less NO NO NO

gustafo wrote: »
    The brits are not going into so we should do the same as our dear neighbours

Some people in this country tend to go against the Brits for almost everything - in this case, the Brits are spot on! They're our only friend against this fascist union.
    shedweller wrote: »

Correct - asking us to re-vote should send off alarm bells folks...this is not something we want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I honestly believe the electorate in this country is completely retarded. As much as I hate all the politicians Leo Varadkar was right when he said that the people will not be using their vote to vote on the issue but to punish the government for all the other things that are going on. The country is full of complete muppets. Do away with democracy for ten years and get a hard assed dictator in here and we would soon be on the straight and narrow.

I honestly believe the electorate in this country is completely retarded. As much as I hate all the politicians Leo Varadkar was right when he said that the people will not be using their vote to vote on the issue but to punish the government for all the other things that are going on. The country is full of complete muppets. Do away with democracy for ten years and get a hard assed dictator in here and we would soon be on the straight and narrow.

OR we could have direct democracy or self-government instead of having these school teacher "yes-men" lead us into oblivion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    OR we could have direct democracy or self-government instead of having these school teacher "yes-men" lead us into oblivion!

Ahahahhahahahaha

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

I'm voting against the government.

If the government want me to vote 'Yes' for something then I will be voting 'No'. It doesn't even matter what the referendum is about.

My logic is that the government is my enemy. It is not doing anything for my interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Here's one good reason to vote no - Phil Hogan.
    Another: Michael Martin.
    Another: Gilmore
    Another: The ever-smirking Pat Rabitte
    Another: Joanie Burton.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Will: My father was an alcoholic. Mean ****in' drunk. Used to come home hammered, looking to whale on someone. So I had to provoke him, so he wouldn't go after my mother and little brother. Interesting nights were when he wore his rings...
    Will: He used to just put a belt, a stick, and a wrench on the kitchen table and say, "Choose."
    Sean: Well, I gotta go with the belt there.
    Will: I used to go with the wrench.
    Sean: Why?
    Will: Cause fúck him, that' why.
    vote no

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

yeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Can someone please explain what happens if I vote yes and what happens if I vote no please?
    In laymans terms if you can.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

One thing is for sure, you are voting for or against a treaty. If you haven't bothered to understand the implications of voting no or yes then you are a fool.

Fools and their votes are easily parted.

You are not voting for or against the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I would not consider myself as a muppet or retarded and I am fully aware that voting No is only a tool to punish the Governement for their incompetence and mis-handling of finances for the past decade or two (those in power or oppositon were all fully aware of what was going on)

I have voted along with the Governement on all recent treaties but I am completely fed up with how they approach these things and how they portray the issues to the public.

We were being told originally that it would be a vote for us to stay in the Euro. No they are saying it is a vote to guarantee jobs.

I am luckly, I have been in employment for the past decade (not on great wages or anything) however I am finding it harder to get by with the way costs of everything is increasing and I will be using the No vote as my tool to tell the Government enough is enough. I know it will be passed one way or another but that is how I feel.

If you dont wish to live in a Democracy where the unwashed masses voice is as important as yours then i hear North Korea is lovely this time of year.

Advertisement