Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you do have a car, then on Sunday theres no congestion charge and some of the car parks are for a pittance.
    For example this city council ran one beside the tower of London/ Tower Bridge, 2pound an hour normally but only 2pound flatrate for all of Sunday !
    http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/transport-and-streets/parking/where-to-park/car-parks/Pages/Minories-car-park.aspx
    If coming from Windsor direction the M4 brings you right into the city.

We parked there on a sunday just to show the kids "london bridge" (which they knew through the kids nursery ryhme) and afterwards ate round the corner in a weatherspoons for a very reasonable price. All in all a great morning in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I think using buses for short hops and tubes for longer hops is the way to go.

There are good suggestions here. It's also worth mentioning that The Science Museum (which has an amazing kids' area) is on 'Museum Row' which also has the Natural History Museum nearby where they can see dinosaurs. Because the area is largely (semi-)pedestrianised now, it's a joy to walk around.

I can't tell you what parking would be like.

My own childhood memory of The Tower of London is really good, but it was busy and probably much better for the older kid. The London Dungeon is fun, and there's always a queue, but it's more interactive, but it's essentially a chamber of horrors with mannequins.

The London Eye is well worth it if you can get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dueaug

As the title says. Have booked London for 2 nights in October for me and my daughter. Looking online for hotel and a lot of the cheaper hotels (1 star) are offering shared toilets!!:eek: Any ideas on where to stay would be appreciated. Flying into Stanstead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

dueaug wrote: »
    As the title says. Have booked London for 2 nights in October for me and my daughter. Looking online for hotel and a lot of the cheaper hotels (1 star) are offering shared toilets!!:eek: Any ideas on where to stay would be appreciated. Flying into Stanstead.

Yes there are a lot of hotels that don't have ensuite bathrooms. Not just in London.

What's your budget? The Tune chain of hotels are 3* and budget friendly, and ensuite.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I suppose it really depends on where you want to go in London and what you want to do. A lot of the more central hotels will be more expensive, obviously. But you could stay in somewhere like Ealing which is a bit of the way out but cheaper and still on the district tube line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

To answer the question in the thread title, a 'shared toilet' means that in order to use the facilities, you and your daughter will have to leave your bedroom, enter a shared corridor and queue up outside a communal bathroom with assorted strangers. I wouldn't have a problem with that setup in an Irish B & B but would draw the line at doing it in a hotel in a big city. That would be more to do with the type of people likely to be in the same building than the inconvenience involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dueaug

Thanks for the replies lads. Have had a look at the tune hotel and it looks good alright. My daughter will be 17 and wants to do a show and the Harry potter tour so would probably need to be fairly central? I think. Ah well we'll get it sorted in the end. :)

Just a quick note I have booked the travel lodge at Bethnal Green. Only one tube stop up from Liverpool st station ant I got it for 199 euro incl breakfast for the two of us with a deposit of 1 euro so happy days :) looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

With the excellent transport system in London there is really no need to pay the extortionate prices to stay in central London when you can easily stay in a nice hotel in the suburbs for a lot less and commute

When I goto London I normally stay in one of the hotels in Heathrow and get the train into Central London. I stayed in the 4 star Holiday Inn London Heathrow for the bank holiday for 3 nights at an average of £40 per night. I normally get the 285 bus to Feltham and then get the fast train to Waterloo. Heathrow is a lot handier than the other airports as it within the zonal system (zone 6), so you can use a pay as you go Oyster card to commute from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭maximo31

Hi,
    I have booked tickets to the Showjumping in the Olympia for Saturday 20th December. These have been booked as a surprise Birthday gift for my GF.
    I would be very grateful for any advice you can give me. I want to obviously show her a great time but my budget wouldn't be great.
    Could you please advise which Airport would be the best to fly into from Cork preferably or Dublin as second choice.
    From here what would be the best way to get into the city?
    I would hope to book a hotel for the Saturday and Sunday night near the Olympia.
    Any suggestions for a nice hotel around here would be great. I have already booked the Bayswater Inn but this is free cancellation so let me know if its a kip!!
    I think i could stretch to €300 for 2 nights but if there is better for cheaper let me know.
    Last query would be suggestions for a nice restaurant in this area (Kensington) for the Sunday evening.
    I have done a lot of research but would love to get some feedback from people on here with a bit of knowledge.
    I may be coming across as a cheap skate but as this trip is a 30th Birthday present everything will be costing me double!!Thank you so much in advance for any advice given.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

maximo31 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have booked tickets to the Showjumping in the Olympia for Saturday 20th December. These have been booked as a surprise Birthday gift for my GF.
    I would be very grateful for any advice you can give me. I want to obviously show her a great time but my budget wouldn't be great.
    Could you please advise which Airport would be the best to fly into from Cork preferably or Dublin as second choice.
    From here what would be the best way to get into the city?
    I would hope to book a hotel for the Saturday and Sunday night near the Olympia.
    Any suggestions for a nice hotel around here would be great. I have already booked the Bayswater Inn but this is free cancellation so let me know if its a kip!!
    I think i could stretch to €300 for 2 nights but if there is better for cheaper let me know.
    Last query would be suggestions for a nice restaurant in this area (Kensington) for the Sunday evening.
    I have done a lot of research but would love to get some feedback from people on here with a bit of knowledge.
    I may be coming across as a cheap skate but as this trip is a 30th Birthday present everything will be costing me double!!Thank you so much in advance for any advice given.
    This is one of those occasions on which aerlingus.com might be able to give you a great deal. Looks like any flight those days from Cork to a Heathrow plus a 3*+ hotel from €320 per head all in. From Heathrow to any area in Kensington, the Piccadilly line will be quickest and cheapest.

For restaurants, you have any number of choices. It's heading close to Christmas so you might be able to get some excellent prix fixe deals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Hi,

I will be visiting Southampton soon and the nearest place that I can fly to is either Stansted or Luton. Does anyone know a simple and relatively cheap way to get from either of these airports to Southampton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Have you tried Gatwick?

Also http://www.thetrainline.com/ will help but Stanstead and Luton mean crossing London.

As for buses, http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx will help but it involves changes and crossing London.

Are you flying from Shannon?

You can fly direct from Dublin to Southampton, surely easier than connecting over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

athtrasna wrote: »
    You can fly direct from Dublin to Southampton, surely easier than connecting over there?

In my experience, it is usually easier to get from any British airport to whereever you want to go, rather than over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whats the best/cheapest way to get tickets for the West End? Preferably online, I know its possible to get tickets last minute there but would prefer book in advance as we want to see the Book of Mormon and it seems popular.

I checked on ebay but no bargains there, seems Stubhub are the only ones selling overpriced tickets. Where can you find people selling tickets for dates they cant make, is there a site where you can get advance tickets at least at some discount ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Catch the Stanstead Express directly from the airport lower level right to the city and catch a tube from the station to any place in London.

They even sell the train tickets on board, cheaper than anybody else I might add.

https://www.stanstedexpress.com/index.asp?SID={D450D0DE-F73B-4E51-B0AF-C98D719E7612}

Plus, for many parts of London it's more convenient to change onto the Tube at Tottenham Hale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Catch the Stanstead Express directly from the airport lower level right to the city and catch a tube from the station to any place in London.

They even sell the train tickets on board, cheaper than anybody else I might add.

https://www.stanstedexpress.com/index.asp?SID={D450D0DE-F73B-4E51-B0AF-C98D719E7612}

Plus, for many parts of London it's more convenient to change onto the Tube at Tottenham Hale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Stansted:
    National Express: book as above, price varies from £40-60 return
    journey time 4h45 -5h15
    requires 1 change at London Victoria coach station.

Rail: walk-on fare can be bought at the station £71.90 return (off peak valid for all trains after 09.30am in both directions Mon-Fri all day sat, sun)
    journey time 2h30 - 3h15
    requires 3 changes via London Underground
    quickest route Monday-Saturday
    Train Stansted Airport - Liverpool Street
    Tube central line Liverpool St - Bank
    Tube Waterloo+city line Bank - Waterloo
    Train Waterloo - Southampton

Luton:

National Express book on-line price from £30-40
    journey time 3h40 - 4h25
    1 change either in London Victoria or Heathrow Airport depending on service.

Rail: walk-on fare £49.10 return (off peak, no trains arriving at London before 10.00 or depart London after 16.30 Mon-Fri)
    journey time 2h30-3h

Shulttle bus Luton airport - Luton Airport Parkway
    Train Luton Airport Parkway - St Pancras
    Underground Victoria Line St Pancras - Oxford Circus
    Underground Bakerloo Line Oxford Circus - Waterloo
    Train Waterloo - Southampton

Surely cheaper & faster to get a bus to Dublin airport and fly direct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Whats the best/cheapest way to get tickets for the West End? Preferably online, I know its possible to get tickets last minute there but would prefer book in advance as we want to see the Book of Mormon and it seems popular.

I checked on ebay but no bargains there, seems Stubhub are the only ones selling overpriced tickets. Where can you find people selling tickets for dates they cant make, is there a site where you can get advance tickets at least at some discount ?

They do a lottery on the day so that might be your best bet, as you've basically already mentioned the only ways people who don't want tickets sell them on. If you really want to see it, then book it a few months in advance and then book your flights around it. It's incredibly popular, so it's unlikely you'll find tickets for whatever couple of days you happen to be in London

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Muahahaha wrote: »

When I went to see it (brilliant show) there was a huge queue waiting on returns don't think many of them got in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

What's the best option for getting to Gatwick quickly on a Sunday, ideally from London Bridge(hotel is near Tower Hill tube station too)? I'm thinking a Southern service from Victoria, since there seem to be no direct service?

My inward journey is on a Friday, can get an FCC fast service to LBG so that's ok- but if I got an open return would it be valid for the Southern service? Should I just get two separate singles?

Return tickets from airports rarely save you that much money anyway. If there's no trains from London Bridge, check from Blackfriars (same line) as maybe they're just not stopping at London Bridge due to improvement works.

To get a full overview, go to National Rail's journey planner and put in Gatwick > London {all stations}

Thanks, in the end went with two anytime singles, an FCC one for Friday and a Southern one for Sunday. Will walk from London Bridge to hotel on Friday and take the tube to Victoria on Sunday.
    321412.png

Good call. FYI the Circle/District line isn't running that weekend. But you can just get the Jubilee from London Bridge and change at Green Park for the Victoria line instead, just give yourself a bit more time.

Wow, thanks for that, didn't think to check. Guess that puts a bit of a spanner in the works, but nothing major to work around like you say. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Travelling just afer Christmas with wife, 17-old, 12-y-old. Four day stay and apartment looks like the best option, opinions? Looking at homelettings.co.uk but if there are other recommendations I'd appreciate it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Travelling just afer Christmas with wife, 17-old, 12-y-old. Four day stay and apartment looks like the best option, opinions? Looking at homelettings.co.uk but if there are other recommendations I'd appreciate it.....

You could try Airbnb.com. I haven't used it but i have been looking at it for a trip to London next year. There's an option to select an entire property rather than the traditional b&b. Some lovely places available. I would be interested to hear if anyone has used Airbnb for London stays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Diairist

Advertisement