Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"thunking" noise going over speedbumps

Options
  • 31-03-2008 9:24pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, the past few days my Panda (04, 36,000 miles on the clock) has starting making a 'thunking' noise as it goes over speedbumps. The ride quality hasn't changed a bit and the only change from my normal routine recently was parking the car for 4 hours in Banbridge town centre - feck only knows what was done to it there ;)

The tyres are fine and fairly new (new set of Contintentals 5000 miles ago) and I've checked I've not left a bowling ball under the back seat :D

Short of the shocks being shagged, is there any other reason this would suddenly come on? I'm probably going to swing by Advanced tomorrow if I don't figure it out myself or from the net...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

To be honest, it could be anything suspension related - shocks, bushings, mountings, ball joints, bowling balls............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Bowling balls ? LOL

First thing I would check would be the anti-roll-bar bushes, they tend to go first in my experience. Luckily they're cheap (50 quid for the parts and an hour's work)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

As was said could be anything suspension related.

My guess would be anti roll bar links or bushings.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Is the noise coming from the front or the rear, which side ? The chances are its related to the bushes or bearings on one of the front wheels. They are under serious pressure mounting speed bumps and man do we have some whopper's in the speed bump world. There are a couple in Dublin that you could land a plane on. I take it that you have to traverse these quite regular so the chances are they have claimed another victim. God damn their viscous souls.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've the Newcastle Alloy Murderer to go over every morning, as well as the other ones in Newcastle and the general ****e state of the road between Celbridge and there, oh, and the massive ones in Celbridge too (which aren't painted reflectively...)

It seems to be coming from the rear drivers side most noticeably.

• Advertisement
Advertisement