Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick question about speed cameras

• 24-03-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been dealt with before.

I was driving in along the N4/Chapelizod bypass this afternoon. The speed limit is 80 but I was doing somewhere between 85-90.

So anyway I come around a long windy turn and there's two guards with a speed camera. Now I did try to slow down but I'm pretty sure that I was still over 80.

Does the speed gun/camera thingy have to flash? Cos I didn't see a flash, so does this mean I'm in the clear?

I'm sh*ting myself now, I only passed my test last week and I don't want my insurance to go back up cos I was really stupid!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

If it was two officers and they didn't stop you don't worry about it.

Sounds as though you learned your lesson though, the easy way. Remember that feeling of dread the next time you are out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Electric wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been dealt with before.

I was driving in along the N4/Chapelizod bypass this afternoon. The speed limit is 80 but I was doing somewhere between 85-90.

So anyway I come around a long windy turn and there's two guards with a speed camera. Now I did try to slow down but I'm pretty sure that I was still over 80.

Does the speed gun/camera thingy have to flash? Cos I didn't see a flash, so does this mean I'm in the clear?

I'm sh*ting myself now, I only passed my test last week and I don't want my insurance to go back up cos I was really stupid!

Thanks!

They should have stopped you. By the way you insurance shouldnt go up over two points for speeding. Above four points is when insurance companies start loading your policy usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I'd doubt they'd pull you for 90 in an 80 zone, also your speedometer might not be precise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your speedo usually over-reads and gets worse the higher up it goes, so theres a good chance you were below 80 anyway. But if its officers with a handheld, they need to pull you to confirm who's driving (as theres no photograph).

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

mostly if they didnt pull you over youre in the clear with 2 gardai and a handheld/tripod etc.

most likely you were not going so fast as to have them bother with you. they usually wait for the "bigger fish" i reckon ;).

its happened to me a few times in the past where i was going a little over and was worried for a while but i never heard from it again so relax, you should be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

My speedo gives 10mph over what's actually going on. So I drive at '75' permanently

Advertisement