Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Classics

• 11-03-2015 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Folks,
    I'm looking for advice on what could be a sticky situation. I'm organising a classic for charity and I'm hoping to get as many teams as possible ( I could squeeze 22 teams but realistically I'd be happy with 18)
    Anyway of all the golfers I know, it's split about 50/50 between GUI and non-GUI. My biggest fear is scaring away the GUI handicap golfers if they feel there's bandit non-GUI handicappers playing.
    I played in one classic where the organiser instead of saying non-GUI play off a maximum of 18 said they play off 18 and one society 12 handicapper took an 18 handicap on the day.
    Then again if I'm too hard on the non-GUI handicaps I'll scare them away also.
    Has anyone had this difficulty before and have you any suggestions for overcoming it?
    Reax

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don't think there's a panacea in classics, I played in one for a local school two years ago, a scramble it was and we all played great on a tough course, one of those rare days, did not go into it for the prizes at all but thought at 7 under we would be up there, phoned the next day and there were prizes for the first 9 teams and we didn't feature :eek:, enough said!!
    EDIT, just phoned one of the lads there as it was bugging me, 15 under won it, ha ha ****ing 15 under

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have it as a scramble but max team handicap is 6. Have seen this done before seems to work ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 reax

That seems like a good idea alright. Presume it's combined handicap divided by 10?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

mike12 wrote: »
    Have it as a scramble but max team handicap is 6. Have seen this done before seems to work ok.

All I'd say is be clear if it's a scramble or champagne scramble, again played in another fund raiser last year and half the teams were DQ as it was not clear at all what form the scramble was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

The Callaway scoring system is very good for use in one time events for people without official handicaps.

http://www.leaderboard.com/callaway.htm

• Advertisement

That seems way too complex, especially for a team event where you'll have to calculate an individual's handicap after the team score comes in and he may not have entered his individual score for each hole if 2 lads had already scored well.
    It wouldn't work at all in a scramble as he wouldn't have an individual score

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If it's for charity then you could possibly take a novel approach and take the competition out of it. If you've got 6 prizes, market it that 1 in 3 will by drawing of scorecards out of a hat.

You might lose a few prize hungry golfers but you might gain a few more people that are genuinely there for the charity and who view the golf as a bit of craic.

Takes the headaches and guaranteed grief you'll get afterwards (regardless of what HC system you go for) away. People shouldn't be going for the prizes if it's for a charity imo.

Thanks for the help folks. If anyone's interested the charity is laurabrennan.org and I've booked Hollywood Lakes for 19th June. 2.00pm shotgun start

Advertisement