Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Well done MS - big congrats to Mr. Stew too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great race and great report. Many Congratulations.
    I might contact you to write my DCM report??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done MarthStew and of course MrStew. Lovely report.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Stewpendous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done O...,its great to read a report that brings out the essence of joy that running can bring,,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great race - love the approach ! This is a race report I'll bookmark and read again. Great to see you come back with a roar - and smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Congrats to yourself and Mr Stew - sounds like a great w-end in Berlin and I think it's safe to say ye had a drink (or 5) for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Marthastew, thats an amazing report and by the sounds of it an amazing weekend. You give such great details that its easy to imagine the atmosphere all along the route. Sounds like you had a blast and thats fantastic, despite what you have been through the past couple of months. Congrats to you and to Mr Stew.

I reckon you have made a lot of people want to experience Berlin marathon!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

October 1st
    Dip in 40 Foot
    75 minute Hot Vinyasa Yoga Class

October 2nd
    Dip in 40 Foot
    75 minute Hot Ashtanga Yoga Class
    30 minute Spinning class

October 3rd
    Dip in 40 Foot
    60 minute Hot Ashtanga Yoga Class

October 4th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    75 minute Hot Ashtanga Yoga Class
    Very slow recovery run; 3.12 miles; avg pace 9.46
    30 minute Spinning class

October 5th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    Trip to the chiropractor:D:D
    45 minute Body Pump Class

October 6th
    10.05 heavenly, hilly miles in Killiney, :)I love Vico Road on a sunny day:); avg pace 9.22
    Dip in 40 Foot

October 7th
    Quick jaunt around the park while boys played rugby 3.31 miles; avg pace 8.50

My recovery is going really well after Berlin and I feel great however I am still taking things very easy as I don’t want to end up back on the injury bench. My trip to the chiro went really well, in fact he called me “Bullet Proof”; he really thought I wouldn't come out of Berlin so unscathed (of course this had me knocking on wood, reciting novenas, invoking injury spirits etc.;)) According to him, the reason why my gait still isn’t a hundred per cent is purely because I’m in the habit of not working my left side as hard as my right. He says this will go in time and all I have to do is get back into the proper habit again. In the meantime I’ve decided that my funny running form can be my signature move.... a bit like Paula Radcliffe and her bobbly head… all the best runners look silly when they run:):)

And for anyone reading this that's doing DCM... This time 3 weeks we'll all be celebrating in the pub:D Best of luck with the taper:)

October 8th
    Dip in 40 Foot

October 9th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    6.04 miles avg pace 9.32

October 10th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    12.39 miles; 6 warm up at 9.34 pace followed by 5 miles @ what was once my PMP 7.52 pace, followed by cool down at 8.34 pace.
    60 minute Hot Ashtanga Yoga Class

Another glorious autumn morning for a run and rather than head out the door for some easy miles I decided to put some structure into my running. I wanted to try and gauge how much fitness I’ve lost over the past two months sitting in a hot room saying OHM (I’ve decided that ohm actually stands for O’s healed muscles:)). Up around Killiney for a hilly warm-up then in and out of Blackrock for the speedy stuff. Turns out I’ve lost a fair amount of fitness, instead of feeling like marathon pace it felt more like Half marathon pace, the good news is that after some initial tightness my calf behaved itself (or maybe I just didn’t notice it anymore?) Once again I felt great after the run and the morning after, fingers crossed, knock on wood…. and all that jazz. I actually really enjoyed running a little fast (yes I know that’s slow for lots of people) I remembered that the last time I ran close to that pace was very uncomfortably in the Bay 10K August 5th. Fast forward to over two months later and Florence and the Machine were serenading me and all was well once again in my running world:)
    Say my name!
    As every colour illuminates!
    We are shining!
    And we'll never be afraid again!

October 11th
    Dip in Sea

Arrived down for my usual dip to find the 40 Foot was closed off as a crime scene as a body had been recovered the night before, very, very sad news and a very stark reminder that if all I have to worry about is loss of fitness I have absolutely nothing to worry about.

We swam around at Sandycove beach and managed a sprint swimming exit; one of the giant big seals had arrived to say hello:eek: Water temperature is a balmy 13 degrees at the moment:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Are giant big seals bad?? They're alwfully cute.....

(Nice work you've been doing post Berlin!! :) I sent you a text or two over the weekend, but it seems our texting is spotty at best. I think it's a problem on my end with how I have your number programmed in my phone. I'll work on that!!)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory gave me the heads up to read your report, thank you to her, and thank you to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Aren't you supposed to do NY in a few weeks?? And pacing DCM?? Are you still a go for all that? Or have things changed....or perhaps my memory is fooling me...?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Are giant big seals bad?? They're alwfully cute.....

(Nice work you've been doing post Berlin!! :) I sent you a text or two over the weekend, but it seems our texting is spotty at best. I think it's a problem on my end with how I have your number programmed in my phone. I'll work on that!!)

The giant seals are awfully cute:) and he looked so forlorn when we got out but a couple of years ago they started getting a little too friendly with the swimmers and we aren't taking any chances:eek:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sexstarved-seals-prey-on-bathers-1861388.html

Textland is a strange place;) it would appear that I have to be in Berlin for our texts to work....
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Aren't you supposed to do NY in a few weeks?? And pacing DCM?? Are you still a go for all that? Or have things changed....or perhaps my memory is fooling me...?

This time 3 weeks from now I'll be in New York (WOO HOO:D:D:D)
    Mr S is staying home to mind the boys (or as he very kindly reminded me, he didn't qualify:)) so I'm heading over with a Canadian friend and some pals are coming up from Chicago also, I am getting VERY EXCITED:):):)
    Before that I have the honour of pacing 4.15 in DCM and i'm really, really looking forward to that also.

(Those photos of your trail run the other day almost had me changing my flight home from New York so I could come and run with you but I'll have to save that trip for another time:)
    Oh, and congrats on your PB DD:D)

Oryx wrote: »
    Dory gave me the heads up to read your report, thank you to her, and thank you to you. :)

From reading your log I know it's not exactly where you are at at the moment but coming back from injury I really did see Berlin as a gift, an opportunity to enjoy a marathon. Given the choice I would have definitely preferred to remain injury free and a chance to run a PB but for some reason the running Gods threw a big curve ball at me.... Luckily I managed to avoid that curve ball and it's now two weeks later and I'm still smiling with the happy memories:)

I'll be following your log with interest as I find myself in a similar situation with regard to New York in three weeks time; I can try and race it and run a PB which will most likely end up in a massive blow up (but I imagine New York would be a great place to blow up) or I can take my time as I did in Berlin and enjoy it.

Whatever you decide to do in DCM I hope you have a wonderful day,
    your dedication to training and your subsequent Ironman this year are proof enough of your talent and grit no matter what you decide to do on October 29th:)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Marthastew, was just reading your blog. Is New York still on the cards? I thought I saw New York, then I saw pacing Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Great to meet you and Mr S again on Saturday at the DLR 5K. Best of luck with Dublin pacing and enjoy the NY marathon, it's such a spectacular place to run a marathon, I'll look forward to reading that report!

October 12th
    Dip in Sea
    14.06 miles @ 9.14 pace
    Another glorious day so I took full advantage of it by heading along the coast from Dun Laoire to Shanganagh Park and back again. I took it nice and easy on the way there as I had been for a really tough dry needling session on Thursday and my calf was still a little tight and picked to pace up on the way back, gradually increasing and finishing with some strides. Popped into Body Pump as a cool down and I felt very strong throughout.

October 13th DLR 5K fun run Kilbogget Park
    Easy run up to the park 2.16 miles avg pace 9.23
    Race 3.29 miles 23.59 avg pace 7.18
    My 9 year old’s rugby team were using this as a fundraiser for Barretstown so I was sort of on duty for this one in case any of them fell into a ditch;) so I hadn’t planned to race this (also the fact that I’m not in race shape and it was a fun run:):):)) A beautiful sunny Autumn day meant a great turnout of all ages and abilities. Junior Stew had asked Mr Stew to pace him to a course record (he knew the course was long by 300M so he wasn’t looking for a PB;)) and I was keeping an eye on our 11 year old and our Spanish student. Had a quick chat with Belcarra at the start and told him to push up to the front ahead of the rugby team and after a few speeches from local politicians we were off. My 11 year old started fast and after a while he slowed a little and asked me to run ahead (I’m sure it’s not cool to run with your mum:D) so I then found myself on my own so I had no choice but to try and race it;) I actually really enjoyed it, picking off the odd runner and overtaking them and although it was a little frustrating to see how much fitness I’ve lost it was also humbling to see how much work I’ll have to do next year to get the sub 20:eek:

Great encouragement from a lot of the participants as we lapped them and I could see junior and Mr S up ahead all the time. Junior was the first child across the line and was thrilled with his course record 23.03:D:D I caught up with Spanishstew in the last 400 metres and we finished together 23.59. I turned around and went straight back to find our 11 year old and was delighted to see him arriving a couple of minutes later with a big smile on his face, I think I was most proud of him as he doesn't really like running and he ran the whole thing on his own. Bumped into Sideswipe and his adorable toddler at the Finish Line and caught up with some more friends.

A great day had by the Stew Family and over €1,800 raised for Barretstown by the rugby club:)

October 14th
    Rest Day
    I had toyed with the idea of a recovery run but over an hour in the rain on the side of a rugby pitch this morning convinced me to head to the sofa for the afternoon.

Total miles for the week
    38.28:)

ellie_sun wrote: »
    Marthastew, was just reading your blog. Is New York still on the cards? I thought I saw New York, then I saw pacing Dublin!

I am delighted to say New York is still on the cards, I'm also thrilled to be pacing DCM:) It is 6 days before New York so it's not exactly following a P&D marathon plan but it's been done before and I'm sure it will be done again;)

I'm delighted your training is going so well, all your hard work is done now so stay happy and healthy on your taper, this time three weeks from now we'll be proud New York marathon medal owners:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Juniorstew has a lot of talent for a 9 year old, has he any plans to do any of the club cross countries coming up?

Incredible to see that Spanishstew is into the running as well, great time from him too!!

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Juniorstew has a lot of talent for a 9 year old, has he any plans to do any of the club cross countries coming up?

Incredible to see that Spanishstew is into the running as well, great time from him too!!

I'm sure we'll get him in soon, at the moment he's so busy with rugby, GAA and karate that the running is taking a back seat.

We told the agency we'd only take a student who could run at 7.30 pace:D:D, Obviously I'm joking, he's also a great little soccer player and the local team were delighted when I brought him down.

October 15th
    LSR 23.04 miles avg pace 9.31 min/miles
    High tide Dip in Sea

Another glorious day and I was meeting up with my friend who is running New York and a new friend who is running DCM for this long run. We started along the coast from Dun Laoire up around Killiney to get the hills over with (yes, I know, we should have done them at the end of the run but I'm saving that for my LSR on October 29th:)). We took it nice and easy and kept the pace slow to start, and then we headed in and out of town along the coast. I really, really enjoyed this run, my hip was as usual very tight to start but after about three miles I was fine. We chatted non-stop the whole way and the miles just flew by. I had hoped to run this on empty as I need all the help I can get for New York but at 12 miles they stopped to buy chocolate and it would have been rude not to take a piece:D, Yum. I bought a small carton of juice and then at 16 miles I had some water and another small piece of chocolate. As if things couldn’t get any better, a black cat crossed our path along the way:D:D At about 19 miles we were all starting to flag a little but the great thing about running in a group is that there’s always somebody to take the lead and spur us on. Mile 21 was our fastest mile (although that could be because we were all getting hungry;)) and we finished strong.. Super high tide at the 40 Foot so we couldn’t resist, a perfect morning that left me on a high.
    I love, love that smug, tired feeling you get after doing a long run:)

October 16th
    Dip in Sea
    60 minute lower body class
    45 minute Pilates class
    Feeling good after the long run but I decided to cross-train for recovery.

October 17th

45 minute aqua aerobics class
    Wet, wild, windy wonderful 6.02 recovery miles avg pace 9.24 min/mile
    Super dooper high tide dip in the sea:D

I popped into the pool in the gym to join the aqua class as a warm up and then braved the elements for a short recovery run. Legs felt quite stiff to start, I should have just done the recovery run on Tuesday;) but I really enjoyed this run. The sea was wild and I was getting splashed as I ran along the coast. Again up to the hills in Killiney and I was thinking of Emer911 as I picked my way through the piles of squishy, wet leaves on the footpaths:)

I headed down to the 40 Foot for a high tide but it was so rough and the waves were huge, got in for a dip at the beach and it was glorious, a bit like being in a washing machine being thrown around the place, I couldn't stop myslef saying "Woo hoo" every time a wave picked me up:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Every time I see you've been for a dip I think of that picture on facebook of you in the water in your togs and it makes me feel cold. You're not still getting in in your togs at this time of year? :eek:

Some boardsies would go blue with you just telling them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Marthastew, they are dreaming about you over on the novice thread;)

zefer wrote: »
    Am I the only one having weird dreams?? Come on people, share!

Had one about MarthaStew last night (Well about the username at least!)

In the dream, I was at someone's pc in work and they had boards open and were posting under the name "MarthaStew". But the person was a man in the dream, so I didnt believe it was the same person pacing the 4.15, so I decided to wait until marthon day to see if it was the same person. And I'm not sure what happened as I woke up then
    Very strange! :o

ps. I am only assuming MarthaStew is a woman...

Every time I see you've been for a dip I think of that picture on facebook of you in the water in your togs and it makes me feel cold. You're not still getting in in your togs at this time of year? :eek:

Some boardsies would go blue with you just telling them that.

Togs all year and sometimes my running gear if it's after a run. The water is still warm at the moment, 12 degrees and this special high tide is making it all the more wonderful. As the temperature drops I spend less and less time in and by February it's usually just a case of jumping in, screaming and jumping straight back out. I think the water really helps with recovery, or maybe I'm just too cold to feel the pain:).
    If you ever fancy a trip to the 40 Foot I'll be happy to join you, although with your luck and the hex that visits you from time to time I think I'd advise you to leave out seaswims;)
    Younganne wrote: »
    Marthastew, they are dreaming about you over on the novice thread;)

That's hilarious! Do you think they've discovered that I am in fact Martinstew, masquerading as Marthastew, a man trapped in a woman's body? ;)
    (Although if that were really the case I'd be much faster:))

October 18th
    75 hot ashtanga yoga class
    Easy 5.82 hilly miles in Killiney @ 9.23 pace
    High tide dip in Sea

October 19th
    5.02 miles @ 7.41 pace
    45 minute Body Pump class
    Another fabulous high tide dip in Sea
    I’m still all over the place with a non-existent training plan and I’ve been happy enough to get easy miles in with no pressure on but I headed out on Friday with the P&D 3X1600 @ 5K pace run in mind…. Started slow and firstly thought I’d just take it easy and then I copped myself on and after a mile @ 9 min/mile pace I upped the pace to 5K effort, splits were 7.29, 7.17 and 7.12 and I opted not to take a recovery in between so it became a tempo session. I started the last mile slowly but then I wasn’t in the mood to keep it slow so I had an enjoyable last mile @ 7.30 pace. I popped into the gym and cooled down in Body Pump.

October 20th
    12.19 miles @9.22 pace
    First early morning run in a long, long time and it nearly killed me at the start. I was up at 7am (early for a Saturday) and was meeting my friend who’s running New York. We ran the West Pier to allow ourselves to wake up and by the time we finished the sun was well and truly up and it was turning into a glorious morning. With our legs warmed up we headed to the hills in Killiney and finished this run with two fast miles (downhill:)) as I needed to get back to bring junior to a GAA match.

October 21st
    Rest Day
    I had hoped to get out for a recovery run but Saturday turned into a very late night so I caught up on sleep instead.

I’m delighted to finally feel like I’ve logged a good week’s training, unfortunately it's a little too late for New York but it’s good to be slowly getting back to my-running-self again again. I’m going to take it easy running wise from now on in the run up to Dublin, next week is turning out to be one of the busiest weeks I’ve had in ages, with four nights out planned (all will be teetotal:)), in fact I’ve had no alcohol at all since Berlin (except for a half glass of DELICIOUS red wine at a party on Saturday) and I’ve finally lost two of the extra kilos I was carrying due to lack of miles:)

Total miles for the week 52.11:)
    7 days to DCM and 13 days to New York:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Marthastew wrote: »
    Togs all year and sometimes my running gear if it's after a run. The water is still warm at the moment, 12 degrees and this special high tide is making it all the more wonderful. As the temperature drops I spend less and less time in and by February it's usually just a case of jumping in, screaming and jumping straight back out. I think the water really helps with recovery, or maybe I'm just too cold to feel the pain:).
    If you ever fancy a trip to the 40 Foot I'll be happy to join you, although with your luck and the hex that visits you from time to time I think I'd advise you to leave out seaswims;)

I'd probably be fine actually. I like the cold, say I'd actually be ok with it even at this time of year. Dunno about February though. Thats a bit weird.

Also, something tells me you're more concerned about your safety by being around me than mine! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You're a machine missus! :)
    Delighted you're back in the saddle again - you deserve it. If there was ever a more positive runner, then it's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Hi Martha,

When are you heading to New York ? Talk on the weather forum about a big storm hitting there early next week - hope it doesn't affect you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

kit3 wrote: »
    Hi Martha,

When are you heading to New York ? Talk on the weather forum about a big storm hitting there early next week - hope it doesn't affect you

Nah, Sandy is due to hit late Sunday/Monday. Will be well gone by marathon weekend. It's actually been a very mild autumn so far - fingers crossed.

Advertisement