Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking club Week 5: Malaysian Chicken/Beef Curry

• 07-02-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭

I first had this dish in café Mao a few years ago. I liked it so much, I asked the chef for the recipe and have made it regularly at home ever since, so it’s a keeper.

I chose this recipe because once you have made or bought the spice mix, the curry can be made in only 20mins total, stir fry style. So it’s a nice fast and very delicious treat. I particularly love the combination of coconut milk, oyster sauce and the earthy sweet Malaysian spices.

Malaysian curry/korma/spice powder can be bought in the oriental shops on Georges st. abbey street or drury street. I find it a little bland compared to the one I give the recipe for below.

I advise to prep all your ingredients before you start to cook because the cooking time is only 10 mins, stir fry style.

Malaysian Curry chicken/beef (serves 2)

Malaysian Spice mix

10 cloves
    10 black peppercorns
    4 black cardamom pods, (use the seeds inside only)
    1 cinnamon stick, 5cm long
    4 whole dried red chillies
    4tbs coriander seeds
    2tbs cumin seeds
    1tsp fennel seeds
    1 star anise
    1tsp ground turmeric

Roast the spices on a dry pan until they start to smoke. Remove them from the pan and grind to a powder. Store in an air tight jar as you will have enough to make this dish about ten times.

Main recipe

2 tbs vegetable oil
    2 Chicken fillets or beef, thinly sliced strips
    1 red onion coarsely chopped
    2 lemongrass sticks (finely chopped)
    1 tsp garlic
    1 long red chillies
    2 tbs Malaysian spice mix
    Mushroom (handful quartered)
    3 tbs oyster sauce
    400ml Coconut milk
    300ml chicken stock
    2tbs fish sauce
    2tbs palm sugar
    coriander leaf to garnish

Heat the oil in a hot pan/wok, add the following…chopped onion, lemongrass, garlic, chicken, chillies and mushrooms and stir fry for 3-4 mins or until the chicken is slightly browned.
    Mix in the oyster sauce and add the coconut milk quickly. Add the Malaysian spice mix, chicken stock and simmer for about 6 mins. Add the fish sauce and palm sugar and stir in well, check the seasoning and add fish sauce if required. Garnish with coriander leaf and serve with rice or noodles.

The Rice

Wash 2 cups of rice and soak in water for 20mins
    Add 2 tbs of oil to a suitable pan and heat on high.
    Drain and add the rice with 3 cups of water.
    Bring to the boil, put the lid on and simmer for 6 mins(do not remove the lid during this 6mins).
    After 6mins turn off the heat, remove the lid and allow the steam dissipate. Stir and leave to stand for 5 mins.
    Then stir again until all the steam dissipates. Then put the lid on until you use the rice or it will become lumpy.

its nice to add a teaspoon of cumin seed, 3 cinnamon sticks, 3 star anaise, 6 green cardamoms if available while u are heating the oil. also add a teaspoon of turmeric when u add the water to give a nice colour and numerous health benefits.

147107.jpg

147108.jpg

147109.jpg

147110.jpg

147111.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

I had a feeling it would be a curry recipe this week going by your username:D

Looks excellent, i was on the look out for a new curry recipe.

I'll make it next week when i have a chance to get all the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

cullen5998 wrote: »
    I had a feeling it would be a curry recipe this week going by your username:D
    Was thinking the same thing myself! :)

Looks great. Think I'll give it a bash tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I took a little sharp breath when I saw the username for this week too.

So then looked at "previous posts by this poster"...

Thought: Brilliant. This one's going to be good.

Curry is the best food ever created by mankind. I can't wait to try this out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,742 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just a quick question...
    If you didn't have palm sugar, what would you recommend as a good replacement - white sugar/brown sugar & how much?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Just a quick question...
    If you didn't have palm sugar, what would you recommend as a good replacement - white sugar/brown sugar & how much?

Thanks!

same amount of white sugar will do. Palm sugar does enhance the caramely flavour of the overall dish, so it is a nice to have. also if u do a lot of thai cooking palm sugar is preferred.

id also advise trying 1tbs of sugar and see if its to your taste before adding the second and same with the fish sauce.

sometimes i have to adjust the balance of the dish at the end, this is because asian ingredients do vary in their intensities. for example it can be too rich sometimes, so adding a little water
    will fix this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Nice recipe.

I see that you have Chicken Breasts and Chicken fillets both mentioned...do I take it that you didnt mean both?

dixiefly wrote: »
    Nice recipe.

I see that you have Chicken Breasts and Chicken fillets both mentioned...do I take it that you didnt mean both?

thanks for pointing this out, i fixed it...

The Rice

Wash 2 cups of rice and soak in water for 20mins
    Add 2 tbs of oil to a suitable pan and heat on high.
    Drain and add the rice with 3 cups of water.
    Bring to the boil, put the lid on and simmer for 6 mins(do not remove the lid during this 6mins).
    After 6mins turn off the heat, remove the lid and allow the steam dissipate. Stir and leave to stand for 5 mins.
    Then stir again until all the steam dissipates. Then put the lid on until you use the rice or it will become lumpy.

its nice to add a teaspoon of cumin seed, 3 cinnamon sticks, 3 star anaise, 6 green cardamoms if available while u are heating the oil. also add a teaspoon of turmeric when u add the water to give a nice colour and numerous health benefits.
    Is this in reference to cooking the rice? And I take it that it's just long grain rice? Or do you use Basmati?

Oh, and the pictures are HUUUUUGE!!

Resize them on imageshack

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Is this in reference to cooking the rice? And I take it that it's just long grain rice? Or do you use Basmati?

i use basmati. the method i give makes a great pilau rice. i usually buy a 20kg bag for around 30e and make a large pot of it weekly and store in the fridge. The bag usually lasts about a year so its good value! i also like to eat this with dish noodles!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,742 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My bad. I hope that's a bit better.

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

That sounds so good, I will try soon.

When you grind the spice mix, did you use a pestle and mortar? Will everything grind to a powder - I'm thinking the cinnamon stick and cloves? Just want to avoid getting lumps of hard bits in the curry when I serve it up :D

looks great thanks hill billy!

Malari wrote: »
    That sounds so good, I will try soon.

When you grind the spice mix, did you use a pestle and mortar? Will everything grind to a powder - I'm thinking the cinnamon stick and cloves? Just want to avoid getting lumps of hard bits in the curry when I serve it up :D

i use pestle and mortar. after you roast the spices they become dry and brittle and grind pretty easily.

i use basmati. the method i give makes a great pilau rice. i usually buy a 20kg bag for around 30e and make a large pot of it weekly and store in the fridge. The bag usually lasts about a year so its good value! i also like to eat this with dish noodles!
    So it is for the rice then?

I might just make the rice the way I normally make it myself....for the first go anyway. Don't have to worry about timings that way. Although I do add cinnamon and green cardamom, along with cloves, black peppercorns and onion seeds.
    But I will try your way next time. :)

i usually buy a 20kg bag for around 30e
    Was up in that Asian wholesalers in Fonthill last week and they had those large bags of rice for unbelievable value.
    1kg bag of Tilda Basmati costs €4.99 in the likes of Dunnes and Tesco compared to €30 for a 10kg or 20kg bag.

and make a large pot of it weekly and store in the fridge.
    Is that not a dangerous thing to do due to the risk of Bacillus cereus poisoning?

So it is for the rice then?

I might just make the rice the way I normally make it myself....for the first go anyway. Don't have to worry about timings that way. Although I do add cinnamon and green cardamom, along with cloves, black peppercorns and onion seeds.
    But I will try your way next time. :)

Was up in that Asian wholesalers in Fonthill last week and they had those large bags of rice for unbelievable value.
    1kg bag of Tilda Basmati costs €4.99 in the likes of Dunnes and Tesco compared to €30 for a 10kg or 20kg bag.

Is that not a dangerous thing to do due to the risk of Bacillus cereus poisoning?

It is a method for the rice yes.
    i think you will find the rice method very simple and effective.

I usually buy my rice in whatever asian shop gives the best deal :)

with regards Bacillus cereus poisoning, yes you have to be carefull of this. We reheat the rice in the microwave to piping hot which makes it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Sounds good! I'm going to make this one but it'll be next week, I've already done my food shop for this one. I normally eat Indian style curry so it'll be nice to try something different

Sorry to be hounding you with questions on this but I'm gonna be making this tonight and just want to check a couple of things.

You call for 2 sticks of lemongrass. Is that right? Seems like an awful lot. Lemongrass can be quite overpowering.

I take it that the whole spices are to be pan roasted and then ground, and then the tumeric is added?

And finally, the rice (again) :)
    Those quantities are obviously for a lot more than 2 servings? So everything will need to be reduced accordingly for 2 servings?

I swear I'll leave you alone after this. :D

Sorry to be hounding you with questions on this but I'm gonna be making this tonight and just want to check a couple of things.

You call for 2 sticks of lemongrass. Is that right? Seems like an awful lot. Lemongrass can be quite overpowering.

I take it that the whole spices are to be pan roasted and then ground, and then the tumeric is added?

And finally, the rice (again) :)
    Those quantities are obviously for a lot more than 2 servings? So everything will need to be reduced accordingly for 2 servings?

I swear I'll leave you alone after this. :D

lol no worries, im glad that you take the time to perfect what you are doing and flattered that you are trying this :)

2 sticks of lemongrass for sure yes. add the ground turmeric after you have roasted and ground the whole spices yes, well spotted :cool:

im glad you are making the spice mix as u will taste all the wonderfull subtleties in your end result.

with regards the rice, its the proportion of rice to water thats important. 1 portion of rice to 1.5 of water by volume. scale back the spices accordingly. i use a 300ml cup. cooking time and process remains the same.

remember to taste before you serve and adjust to your own taste accordingly as asian ingredients do vary widely.

good luck and i cant wait to hear how it turns out for you!

This curry was absolutely amazing. Seriously nice. The combination of flavours and balance was just spot on.

Used a tablespoon of fennel seeds instead of a teaspoon by mistake, but that didn't make any difference. I also only used half a stick of lemongrass as the ones I had were huge, about 10" long. I had half of one done and it looked like I had way more that you had in your picture so thought I'd use that as a guide.

dsc0426k.jpg

Gonna make this with beef next time. And when I make it with chicken again, I'll probably fry the chicken first and leave it to one side and then add it again at the end as it was a slight bit overdone, but that's just a minor timing issue.

Really really liked this recipe (licked the plate liked!) and no doubt I'll make it again before the week is out. Thanks OP!

dsc0428kg.jpg

glad you enjoyed baZmo.
    the tbs of fennel seeds is grand, just makes it a tad sweeter.

u caught me again with the pics i included, i was only making a portion for 1 person there :( so you could have gone heavier on the lemongrass...

really like your rice, your pics look great.

• Advertisement

glad you enjoyed baZmo.
    the tbs of fennel seeds is grand, just makes it a tad sweeter.
    I'd make a lot of curries and I knew that small bit of extra fennel wouldn't make a difference.

u caught me again with the pics i included, i was only making a portion for 1 person there :( so you could have gone heavier on the lemongrass...
    Ha! Although I'm always weary when using lemongrass, it can be really overpowering if used too much.

really like your rice, your pics look great.
    Thanks, but I made a bit of a mess of it. I got the quantities of water wrong and only noticed just before the water started to boil, so I had to scoop out the excess water before the lid went on. It was still nice though, if a little bit wetter than normal.

I like the idea of frying the spices first though. Definitely do that again.

Do you have any other curry recipes that you'd like to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Had this tonight and im stuffed. It was fab :D. I forgot the mushrooms so used peas instead. Thanks Curry Addict, going to make it with beef with the left over spice mix

2u78sao.jpg

nice job :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looks great, love the wok, btw. :)
    Will probably have to go on a trek for the lemongrass as I doubt the local supermarket will have it, not from chasing up previous recipes. Re the cardamon pods, would green do as a substitute for black ones?

Will probably have to go on a trek for the lemongrass as I doubt the local supermarket will have it, not from chasing up previous recipes. Re the cardamon pods, would green do as a substitute for black ones?
    I got the Lemongrass in Marks if there's one near you.

First time using Black Cardamom and it's totally different to the Green. It's really smokey, quite pungent actually, but I'll leave it up to OP to say if you can used the Green instead.

Oh, and I got the Palm Sugar in Eurasia in Fonthill, a block the size of a fist for €1.25
    I picked up a few other things and the prices were so good, and their range is phenomenal.

some supermarkets stock lemongrass in a jar so it may not be so hard to find.

as Bazmo says the black cardamom pod is very different to the green. its better to just leave it out imho. it wont take away from your end result much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ah, was in M&S today and got white chocolate for another CC recipe. Will have a look there again for some of this stuff.

Also found this link. http://www.cardamomspice.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Lidl was stocking jarred lemongrass last week, have only ever used fresh so dont know how it will taste. Tescos stock it .

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Just ordered all the spices I didn't have to make this - so it'll be a week before I get to it - but I can't wait! I'll let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A lovely balance of flavours. A really nice dish and one that I'll be doing again. Thanks Curry Addict!

DSC_3049.jpg

Advertisement