Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Cooking Club Week 18: Lemon Posset with Passion Fruit and Vanilla

Options
  • 07-05-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I learned this recipe at a one-day cookery course with Neven Maguire and kindly reproduced with permission.

It's very easy, very quick, but it needs a few hours to set in the fridge. Therefore it's a perfect dessert for dinner parties.

Ingredients - makes 3

500ml cream
    150g caster sugar
    Juice and rind of 1 lemon
    2 passion fruits
    1 vanilla pod, seeds only

Steps

Place the cream in a pan with the sugar, vanilla seeds, lemon rind and juice

Cut the passion fruits in half and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Add to the pan.

Bring to the boil and boil for 1 minute...keep an eye though as it can overflow easily!

Leave the mixture cool for a few minutes and pour into either stemmed glasses or ramekins.

Chill for 2 hours, but overnight is best

Serve on plates with shortbread

Pitcures below - enjoy!

Loire

Ingredients:

17209559639_7bf95b9e96_c.jpg

Passion Fruit

17207976638_50b447e40d_c.jpg

Sorry about the photo - looks better in real life!

17188325357_11c352bc1f_c.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

That looks beautiful.

What kind of cream do you use for it? If you have a carton, perhaps you could check the % fat for me? I am in the UK where single and double cream are different to Ireland (single cream here won't whip as the fat content is too low). I'm thinking I'd need double for this recipe, as I'd fear the lower fat content in single cream might mean it wouldn't set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Just FYI Loire is on his hollibobs (or, at least AFK for the next couple of days) so if you gots questions he'll answer on Monday.

I'll be passing Tesco later and will drop in and have a goo at the cream container :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

That looks beautiful.

What kind of cream do you use for it? If you have a carton, perhaps you could check the % fat for me? I am in the UK where single and double cream are different to Ireland (single cream here won't whip as the fat content is too low). I'm thinking I'd need double for this recipe, as I'd fear the lower fat content in single cream might mean it wouldn't set.

Hi. At the airport! the recipe says just regular cream. There's no whipping involved and you only boil for1 min so no need to worry about curdling either

Loire

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That looks like a nice and easy one - right up my street. It might be a while before I have an occasion to do a dessert but I'll try it out before long hopefully!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Loire wrote: »
    Hi. At the airport! the recipe says just regular cream. There's no whipping involved and you only boil for1 min so no need to worry about curdling either

Loire

Have a fabulous holiday!

Ah I know there's no whipping in your recipe, I was just demonstrating the difference between single and double cream in Ireland versus the UK. I'd be worried about it not setting due to the lower fat content, but maybe that's not actually a concern.

Do let me know, MissF! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

From my memory, Tesco 'fresh cream' is closest to single cream :). I always used single cream unless a recipe specifically called for whipping or double cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Ooh I am making this next week fo'sho'

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Oh that looks lovely I am going to make that

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Made that last night. Very tasty and easy to make. Thanks!

Made that last night. Very tasty and easy to make. Thanks!

Hiya. Glad it turned out okay!

Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

any suggestions for where to get passion fruits from in Cork?

want to make this at the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Just finished making this for tonight, make sure you have lots of room in your pot for when it boils, I underestimated just how much it would rise and it boiled over. Hopefully what remains tastes good!

I'm not in Cork but got passion fruit in Lidl this morning if that helps

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    any suggestions for where to get passion fruits from in Cork?

want to make this at the weekend :)

I got mine in Tesco Wilton - they come in packs of 3

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

This was delicious, went down a storm too, thanks!

I'm not in Cork but got passion fruit in Lidl this morning if that helps
    Loire wrote: »
    I got mine in Tesco Wilton - they come in packs of 3

Loire.

Picked up some passionfruits in Lidl at lunchtime, smaller than I thought they would be :D

Cheers lads,will be making this in the morning and will report back with picture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I am making this at the weekend! Looks fab :) Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

I made these last night and just tasted them. Really, really nice. My lemon was very big tho and over powered the passion fruit a little but i love citrus desserts so i didnt mind. If i was making it for guests id probably use less lemon.
    I was surprised at how cheap they were to make. I had a vanilla pod and castor sugar already and got the rest of my ingredients in lidl for less than €4.
    Thanks a mill. This is going to be a repeat recipe for me!
    i still cant figure out how to put up pics direct....

made these Saturday night and had them yesterday evening, I was concerned they didn't have enough lemon in them and that they would be tasteless.......no fear of that! These were lovely and so easy to make!

*also I must have very small ramekins because it made 5 instead of 3 :)

Thanks for all the feedback! Great to see that they were a success too!

Loire.

I made another batch of these Saturday as finger food/nibbles for a party. I doubled up everything and used 6 passion fruits as theres 3 in the pack and didnt want to waste any.
    I poured them into plastic shot glasses and stuck in a chocolate finger to use as a spoon/dipper. It made 32 and had enough left over to fill 2 small ramekins for myself.
    They seemed to go down a treat with anybody that tried them.
    Best thing about them is their so easy to make, it almost feels like cheating its so simple lol.
    thanks a mill.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Red, the shot glasses are genius! They look so cool!

For anyone who likes making these(or any other vanilla dessert) i saw vanilla pods in Lidl today for €1.99 for a pack of 2. Their over €4 in tescos so i picked up a few packs to stock up.
    No sign of passion fruit tho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I made a version of this over the weekend. I needed a last minute dessert and this was perfect. I didn't have any passion fruit, though, so I just made a plain lemon posset, and it went down very well. I made some shortbread to go with it.

I didn't have any long-stemmed glasses, so I put it in some 'fancy' tumbers, and it seemed to work well. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the finished product, but I do have some of the posset pre-decoration and shortbread before baking.

I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was - I think it might be one that I'll be using again.

convert wrote: »
    I made a version of this over the weekend. I needed a last minute dessert and this was perfect. I didn't have any passion fruit, though, so I just made a plain lemon posset, and it went down very well. I made some shortbread to go with it.

I didn't have any long-stemmed glasses, so I put it in some 'fancy' tumbers, and it seemed to work well. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the finished product, but I do have some of the posset pre-decoration and shortbread before baking.

I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was - I think it might be one that I'll be using again.

Great stuff! Glad it worked out & thanks for the feedback
    Loire.

Made this tonight - delicious! Will definitely do the shot glass thing at some stage.

XFfx3L1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That looks beautiful.

Definitely double cream and I would usually dissolve all the sugar in the cream long before adding the acidulants.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Added to my repetoire of amazing but oh so simple desserts! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Have to say Im not a huge fan of desserts, so very rarely make them.

This is such an easy recipe even I don't mind making them.
    They taste delicious

I'm in search for passion fruit to make these but my local Dunnes and Aldi don't have them. Would anyone have any idea where is stocking it these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

I get them all the time in Dunnes, failing that maybe local fruit and veg shop?

Advertisement