Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beware if Switching from Eircom to Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

avud wrote: »
    Hi

I'm out of contract with eircom and thinking of switching to sky broadband does anyone know if I would have to give one months notice/or even notify eircom.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Yes, Sky may tell you that they will sort it but that's not true. See my post above for my experience with that

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Herr Khume Schuccs

avud wrote: »
    Hi

I'm out of contract with eircom and thinking of switching to sky broadband does anyone know if I would have to give one months notice/or even notify eircom.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Hi avud,
    Yes, I agree with domeld & fatherted1969, to avoid a fine you will need to follow Eircom's procedures, available on their website. As far as I can tell, you need to phone & write to Eircom to cancel (it is probably better to register your letter).
    I would not trust any advice from Sky now, check it out yourself (see other posts, ComReg etc). Sky said they would manage my switch which resulted in a €51 fine and they promised me 15Mbps which dropped steadily since I got it and is now between 1.2 and 7Mbps, depending on the day/time etc.
    Best of luck,
    HKS

dam099 wrote: »
    That runs the risk of an interruption in service though if the switch doesn't happen immediately after the month. Comreg should really be mandating a switch process that takes account of the notice requirement e.g. when you sign up with Sky it automatically generates your notice to Eircom and Sky wait 30 days to move you.

Its probably complicated though by the fact that people who are still in contract may also try to switch unaware of their obligations either through ignorance they were on a 12 month contract to begin with or by being put on a new 12 month contract by some of the underhand tactics I've seen mentioned on other threads. The new provider can't really be aware of all the possible contractual arrangements unless a protocol for verifying these was also included which might be overkill.

Personally I switched to UPC from Eircom so followed the method you advise but its not a very elegant solution for customers who are just switching between DSL resellers (including Eircom Retail in that category).
    Good points dam099, I asked Eircom & ComReg how you could switch providers without being fined or lose service for a period or face a reconnection charge, but I still don't know how to do it. It is unlikely your new provider can switch you on a specific day so you are either going to breach the 30 day notice or going to be without service - this may also lead to a reconnection charge.

I take your points regarding people still in the minimum contract period, but I think ComReg should be able to impose a simple change process on all providers for those that have finished their minimum contract, they are in place for other services outside of telecoms and work well.
    HKS

UPDATE: Eircom have now sent me a solicitors letter demanding immediate payment of the fines, or else!!!

I had ask them to wait for the outcome of ComRegs investigation (this is looking into if the fine is correct, Sky assured me it was incorrect, ComReg couldn't say immediately), which is still underway, I also asked ComReg if they could stop Eircom pursuing the matter until their investigations had concluded, obviously without success.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated, does anyone know where I stand legally on this (not too keen on big bills and ruined financial status).

After being fined I informed Eircom immediately that I was disputing this fine. I contacted their Complaints on numerous occasions & have sent a letter outlining why I dispute the fines. Eircom just didn't bother engaging with me and didn't answer my letter.

I also complained to ComReg on the matter. After the initial bill I heard nothing further from Eircom (I assumed they were waiting the outcome of ComRegs investigation) until recent letter from Eircom Accounts demanding payment, I responded to this by letter seeking clarification on aspects of the fines and reminding them of the ongoing ComReg investigation, there was no response just followed quickly by solicitors letter demanding immediate payment.

Is VAT payable on a fine (I presume this charge in lieu of 30 days is classed as a fine?)

Am I liable to a fine for stopping my direct debit? I had informed Eircom (before the payment was due) that I was disputing the bill and not to request payment from my bank but they went ahead anyway. I did pay the non-fine element by cheque.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    HKS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Would it be possible to pay the 'Fine' by post dated cheque? Much as I hate the idea of you having to pay them it may be a way of at least getting them off your back and stopping the solicitors letters arriving.

If it was post dated for say a month or so it would give you time for the Comreg process to hopefully find in your favour, also it might give you the option of cancelling the cheque before it's cashed too if you catch it in time. Not sure if it's a flier, but it would buy you some time if it is.

• Advertisement

iPhone. wrote: »
    Would it be possible to pay the 'Fine' by post dated cheque? Much as I hate the idea of you having to pay them it may be a way of at least getting them off your back and stopping the solicitors letters arriving.

If it was post dated for say a month or so it would give you time for the Comreg process to hopefully find in your favour, also it might give you the option of cancelling the cheque before it's cashed too if you catch it in time. Not sure if it's a flier, but it would buy you some time if it is.
    Hi iPhone, going on ComReg's speed to date I won't be holding my breath but thanks for the suggestion.

For anyone looking to move from Eircom while avoiding a fine the following thread by Drift should be of assistance:-
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056959818/1

HKS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Came home from work to find my broadband disconnected. I rang Eircom to see what the problem as id given them a months notice to finish with them only a couple of days before. They said sky contacted them to say they were taking over so they cut me off straight away. Sky say they'll credit my account with whatever Eircom charge me. Must be desperate for new customers

Came home from work to find my broadband disconnected. I rang Eircom to see what the problem as id given them a months notice to finish with them only a couple of days before. They said sky contacted them to say they were taking over so they cut me off straight away. Sky say they'll credit my account with whatever Eircom charge me. Must be desperate for new customers
    Hi fatherted1969, must be a bit of a pain being disconnected, if it was a business broadband it could be costly. The switching 'procedures' that Eircom currently have in place seem to be almost impossible to comply with, even if you are aware of them. Chances are that you will be fined for not giving enough notice or you will be cut off (or both) and possibly also hit with a reconnection fee. ComReg are supposed to regulate this market, see their website http://www.comreg.ie/about_us/roles_what_we_do.523.html where that claim to Protect & Inform Customers and Promote Competition. I am not too sure what planet they are on if they think that allowing Eircom to introduce an additional 30 days rolling cancellation requirement is promoting competition or protecting customers. If you have infinite patience you might try complaining to Eircom and when you get nowhere with them you could try complaining to ComReg, their invaluable advice to me over the last few months included, 'nothing to do with us pay up' to ' we are investigating but pay what is owed' to 'complain to the National Consumer Agency' to 'employ a solicitor'. I particularly liked the one advising that I get a solicitor, this for someone who simply wanted to move from one provider to another. Earlier in this post I linked to another Boards post which gave another members experience with switching, unfortunately it looks like there are plenty of other examples out there. Best of luck, HKS

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭CASEsensitive

I complained about the charge in lieu of one months notice to eircom when I switched to sky as I was out of contract and couldn't find reference to any mention of the 30 days notice on my T&Cs or on any of my bills. I heard back from eircom that the money was not taken after my complaint.

I complained about the charge in lieu of one months notice to eircom when I switched to sky as I was out of contract and couldn't find reference to any mention of the 30 days notice on my T&Cs or on any of my bills. I heard back from eircom that the money was not taken after my complaint.
    Thanks caseSENSITIVE, there may be some hope so. Could I ask you when you changed (I changed in April 2013, like you was out of contract and unaware of the 30 day notice - which I did point out to them) or if there was anything else you had to do. Possibly with the numbers leaving Eircom they decided to play hardball on this for a while to take the sting out of Sky's launch, the regulator takes so long to decide on issues that they seem to get away with anything for a few years. If a decision is finally being reached they can just impose some alternative which will be effective for another few years.

I complained on several occasions but Eircom did not have any complaint from me on record (they also seem to mislay letters), hopefully my latest complaint is now on record.
    HKS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I cannot for the life of me understand how Comreg allows Eircom to make up the rules as they go along:mad:. I was with Vodafone when I got an offer from Sky that Voda could'nt/would'nt match. When I Moved to Sky, the whole process worked in a similar way to porting a mobile number. Why Comreg cannot devise a similar scheme for Landline operators defies logic. But then they(Comreg) were given the runaround by Eircom for the past 15 yrs, so its doubtful if anything will change anytime soon.:rolleyes:

I cannot for the life of me understand how Comreg allows Eircom to make up the rules as they go along:mad:. I was with Vodafone when I got an offer from Sky that Voda could'nt/would'nt match. When I Moved to Sky, the whole process worked in a similar way to porting a mobile number. Why Comreg cannot devise a similar scheme for Landline operators defies logic. But then they(Comreg) were given the runaround by Eircom for the past 15 yrs, so its doubtful if anything will change anytime soon.:rolleyes:
    Hi Kristopherus, to be fair to the regulator, they are probably operating under legislation which effectively ties one or both hands behind their back and puts a blindfold on them, the best they can do is stumble around between the goalposts and hope to get in the way of the odd ball every now and again, the advantage is with the providers who can, if they so wish, act the maggot most of the time with impunity. Can't really blame them if they get away with it, they are private commercial companies trying to maximise profits. Our track record with regulators isn't exactly awe inspiring, our Financial one was a bit of a disaster in the not too distant past, I doubt if any other countries will be coming here to copy our regulator models. I do agree with your points, it should be possible to put some simple procedure in place, the switching procedure in place now is a shambles.
    HKS

Thanks caseSENSITIVE, there may be some hope so. Could I ask you when you changed (I changed in April 2013, like you was out of contract and unaware of the 30 day notice - which I did point out to them) or if there was anything else you had to do. Possibly with the numbers leaving Eircom they decided to play hardball on this for a while to take the sting out of Sky's launch, the regulator takes so long to decide on issues that they seem to get away with anything for a few years. If a decision is finally being reached they can just impose some alternative which will be effective for another few years.

I complained on several occasions but Eircom did not have any complaint from me on record (they also seem to mislay letters), hopefully my latest complaint is now on record.
    HKS

We changed in October so relatively recently. I don't know how my complaint was handled it took long enough to get to talk someone in eircom, they were meant to ring me back but never did. I got on to Mark in the eircom forum who told me the last supplementary bill was not taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pointywalnut

I moved from eircom, with a contract waiver and I am still waiting for eircom to refund me. See my thread

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057084037

We changed in October so relatively recently. I don't know how my complaint was handled it took long enough to get to talk someone in eircom, they were meant to ring me back but never did. I got on to Mark in the eircom forum who told me the last supplementary bill was not taken.
    I have only recently raised the problem in the Eircom forum so hopefully they can help sort it out, eventually (it has been ongoing since April, despite contacting Eircom many times it looks like they never recorded my complaint). Many thanks for the info., HKS

I moved from eircom, with a contract waiver and I am still waiting for eircom to refund me. See my thread

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057084037
    Hi pointywalnut, while the regulator did respond to my complaint reasonably quickly, I found them far from satisfactory and am still waiting for their ruling so I would not rely on them too much. Hopefully Eircom can just sort out your refund, best of luck, HKS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Had this problem too..rang up sky and explained the situation and they said they would credit my account for the €47 eircom were charging me

Thanks pebbles21, I contacted Sky several times, they refused to accept any responsibility at all (even though they had knowingly caused this, their own reps admitted knowing about it and their website is completely misleading), but they claimed the charge should not have been made and that ComReg would sort it out (ComReg initially said it was nothing to do with them but now are 'investigating'). Sky did give a refund in relation to a number of issues after I switched, I experienced very slow speeds and had problems with the phone, but they told me this charge was my problem.

The main issue I had was the Eircom charge, I could live with other teething problems, they did say if I was unhappy I was free to cancel my contract within the first month, however the Eircom charge only came to light after a month so it was too late to do anything. I had Sky tv for years and was happy with them, after this experience it is unlikely that I will have anything to do with their tv, broadband or phone, once my contract expires. Skys ongoing broadband speed has been declining, sometimes it drops to a fraction of what I was getting with Eircom and normally it seems to be around what I had been getting with Eircom.
    HKS

For anyone that's interested Comreg have now issued Eircom with a ruling on finding of non-compliance with respect to conditions and procedures for contract termination. Can be viewed here http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13114.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Fair play for bringing that to folks attention. High time this ridiculous carry on was stopped. I hope in the final ruling that Eircom are required to retrospctively refund every customer mistreated in this manner and are fined substantially enough on top to discourage similar carry on in the future.

• Advertisement

For anyone that's interested Comreg have now issued Eircom with a ruling on finding of non-compliance with respect to conditions and procedures for contract termination. Can be viewed here http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13114.pdf
    Thanks for that good news CASEsensitive, I had not heard about it, Eircom being true to form are still pursuing me for payment despite this ruling. Hopefully, as iPhone says, Eircom are made to repay everyone they imposed this charge on and are hit with a big enough fine to discourage them or others pulling strokes like this in the future.

However, I expect Eircom made this decision in the knowledge they would eventually loose, but the gains to be made in discouraging customers switching to a new and attractive competitor for over a year far offset any potential fine. Unless ComReg can impose big enough fines and come to decisions much quicker, companies will ignore the rules to maximise profits, it is only when it hurts the bottom line that they will comply.

For anyone thinking of moving to Eircom or current customers remaining out of some loyalty, from my experience and having seen many other similar stories I would encourage you to have a second think about it (see also my thread under Eircom http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057074548 - the Eircom team on Boards are the best Eircom reps I have dealt with and probably the best way to interact with the company, if you have to).
    HKS

UPDATE:- Eircom refunded this charge to customers who had complained to them or ComReg (if you have not received your refund, you might consider contacting Eircom or ComReg).

Why Eircom were not required to automatically refund everybody they imposed this charge on is strange to say the least, as is not being required to pay interest on this money or not being fined for imposing this anti-competitive practice for years, even after ComReg had ruled against it back in 2012.
    HKS

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Luis21

I asked Sky to fix my **** broadband and they told me to hire an electrician to fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Luis21 wrote: »
    I asked Sky to fix my **** broadband and they told me to hire an electrician to fix the problem.

That would be because you have an internal problem, not covered by EIRCOM'S liability (to the NTU). Sky will send somebody out from Eircom if you push, but it will leave you with up to a €180 bill from Eircom. Line rental covers from the exchange to the NTU (test socket in most modern sockets). Anything outside of that is your own problem, with every provider operating on Eircom's network. Anyway, this is comoletely irrelevant to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Luis21

What do I do then? What if I upgrade to fibre? Will they promise me 100mb and give me 2mb ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Sky Ireland: Sam

Luis21 wrote: »
    What do I do then? What if I upgrade to fibre? Will they promise me 100mb and give me 2mb ?

Hi Luis21,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Broadband service.

Did you know we are now live on Boards.ie? The Sky Ireland Talk To... site can be found here and we would be more than happy to assist you.

If you wish to post your question/query on our site, we will endeavour to resolve this issue for you.

Regards,
    Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

Know a friend that recently switched from eircom to sky sky claimed they could check if they were still in a contract with eircom and were told they were not only to find out after they switched they were in a contract and were not told about the thirty days notice period

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Hi Luis21,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Broadband service.

Did you know we are now live on Boards.ie? The Sky Ireland Talk To... site can be found here and we would be more than happy to assist you.

If you wish to post your question/query on our site, we will endeavour to resolve this issue for you.

Regards,
    Sam

I have sky fibre broadband in Crumlin, Dublin 12 since Octber 1st 2015

It took 6 weeks to switch from UPC broadband to sky

It was not even sky's fault but BT Ireland/Eircom could not make a phone line active

I complained to COMREG about Sky and comreg promised it would be sorted in 2 weeks, comreg were right.
    Remember it was not even sky's fault but their wholesale provider, BT Ireland/Eircom

Sky Fibre Broadband in my view is much better than UPC/Virgin media broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

ftakeith wrote: »
    I have sky fibre broadband in Crumlin, Dublin 12 since Octber 1st 2015

It took 6 weeks to switch from UPC broadband to sky

It was not even sky's fault but BT Ireland/Eircom could not make a phone line active

I complained to COMREG about Sky and comreg promised it would be sorted in 2 weeks, comreg were right.
    Remember it was not even sky's fault but their wholesale provider, BT Ireland/Eircom

Sky Fibre Broadband in my view is much better than UPC/Virgin media broadband

I'd agree with this (disclaimer: I used to work in Broadband Tech for Sky). My 18Mb line was more reliable than I ever get with my 240Mb Virgin connection. Barely notice a difference speed wise except in a few cases.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Avada wrote: »
    I'd agree with this (disclaimer: I used to work in Broadband Tech for Sky). My 18Mb line was more reliable than I ever get with my 240Mb Virgin connection. Barely notice a difference speed wise except in a few cases.

totally agree 42mb wireless sky fibre broadband is better than 240mb virgin media broadband

Advertisement