Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternator for MF65

• 18-03-2015 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Does anyone know which car alternator will fit a MF 65. Would I be right in saying its from a ford car ? I was told that a fitted alternator is better than the original dynamo. Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

Stick with the dynamo. It's better for the battery. If you want an alternator your looking for a lucan lra100.
    Does anyone know which car alternator will fit a MF 65. Would I be right in saying its from a ford car ? I was told that a fitted alternator is better than the original dynamo. Help would be appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

marlyman wrote: »
    Stick with the dynamo. It's better for the battery.

Is it because the dynamo produces less current or other reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

An alternator in a great job but you can't just swap them with a dynamo. There is some re wiring to be done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

You'll also need to change the pulley. Some dynamos are hard to align properly

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Have fitted a few alternators in place of dynamos - and did the same on cars years ago .
    The alternator I use is what used to be known as a Lucas 17 ACR for example .
    You only need 2 wires coming from the alternator - a heavy gauge one to the battery (or battery lead on starter) and a light gauge wire to the warning light .

If there is an auto electrician around your area he should be able to supply the alternator and suitable warning light .

Lining up the pulleys can take time - you have to make sure the belt is running straight .

Don't know where you live but the last one I did the owner got an alternator and bracket from a guy who repairs tractors (can get details if you want ).
    You remove the dynamo and its bracket and replace with supplied bracket , then fit alternator and pulleys should line up. Saves a lot of time .

• Advertisement

It's because an alternator cuts in and out as charge falls and recharges. A dynamo is always trickling a small bit of charge even when the battery is full. It's better conditioning for the battery, I suppose you could say.
    Is it because the dynamo produces less current or other reasons?

I had cars run with dynamos - and on changing to alternator it didn't have any bad effect on the battery .
    With the dynamo you also had a regulator ( hidden up under the dash usually in a tractor) and over time these go out of adjustment and I have often found that dynamo systems are just managing to put off the charge light but putting very little charge into the battery even when revved .
    If a tractor was started a few times with little running time in between then you could have a problem . People often then blame the battery - new battery doesn't solve the problem though . So then maybe turn to the starter ???
    All the time the dynamo (or regulator ) causing the problem .
    Fit new dynamo - still have problems , because the regulator is at fault .
    Also dynamos output depends on revs - and often tractors are not at a high enough rev to give good output .
    The alternator gives good output at low revs and any of those I converted the owners have been very happy with them .

Each to their own I suppose. I checked the dates of the batteries on all 6 tractors I have. The youngest is an 8 year old yuasa . The oldest is 12 Year old exIde. Exide used to make the best battery ever for a tractor. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

dooroy wrote: »
    Have fitted a few alternators in place of dynamos - and did the same on cars years ago .
    The alternator I use is what used to be known as a Lucas 17 ACR for example .
    You only need 2 wires coming from the alternator - a heavy gauge one to the battery (or battery lead on starter) and a light gauge wire to the warning light .

If there is an auto electrician around your area he should be able to supply the alternator and suitable warning light .

Lining up the pulleys can take time - you have to make sure the belt is running straight .

Don't know where you live but the last one I did the owner got an alternator and bracket from a guy who repairs tractors (can get details if you want ).
    You remove the dynamo and its bracket and replace with supplied bracket , then fit alternator and pulleys should line up. Saves a lot of time .

Some of thise earlier Fergusons were Positive + earthing return on chassis AFAIK.
    Would be interested to know procedure you follow with retrofitting those Lucas ACR of more typical Negative earth design. Convert the alternator & diode packs to + earth to suit tractor or reconfigure the whole chassis to negative?

Yes some early ones were positive earth and as you say the alternator was for a negative earth system.
    As far as I can remember I just swapped the battery leads - probably had to change terminals as the pos is usually bigger than the negative .
    I would have to check up on this to be sure thats all - but there were no changes to the alternator .

• Advertisement
Advertisement