Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Army Recruitment - Questions Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

http://www.military.ie/careers/fitness-testing-centre/defence-forces-fitness-tests

The website is a great source of information on the whole process of applying.

That page covers the fitness phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Amyom

another question, does anyone know if the medical for the PDF and the RDF are different or the same?

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Amyom wrote: »
    another question, does anyone know if the medical for the PDF and the RDF are different or the same?

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

I heard the medicals were different that the PDF medical went into far more detail?

c-90 wrote: »
    I heard the medicals were different that the PDF medical went into far more detail?

The RDF fitness tests and medicals are done alongside PDF ones, by the PDF.

• Advertisement

Turbine wrote: »
    The RDF fitness tests and medicals are done alongside PDF ones, by the PDF.

you must be from a different unit but my medicals have never been done with the pdf, by the pdf yes. i was told they do dental examinations ect.

hope your right the more they go poking the more they can find haha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

The RDF fitness tests........

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

As far as i know the PDF medical Examination will be a lot more in depth than the RDF medical..
    having just went through an RDF medical, it wasnt very indepth... i didnt get my height or weight done.
    i was also told by a member of the PDF that they do in fact check out your teeth.. so i imagine they wont leave much to the imagination..:(

As far as i know the PDF medical Examination will be a lot more in depth than the RDF medical..
    having just went through an RDF medical, it wasnt very indepth... i didnt get my height or weight done.
    i was also told by a member of the PDF that they do in fact check out your teeth.. so i imagine they wont leave much to the imagination..:(

Fair enough I didn't get my teeth checked, but I definitely had my weight and height done, also had eyesight checked, hearing checked (pressing button every time you hear a beep), lung capacity test, urine sample taken, and then the usual doctor examination (which fortunately wasn't as 'extensive' as I thought:P).

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

Yeah same as.. haha
    but should be interesting to see what a more in depth Medical would be..
    Maybe some of the serving members of the PDF could clue us in? if at all? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

when i did my medical they didnt check my teeth, but they did of one of the others, also your flexibility and Coordination, but with the amount going for recruitment they can be more critical during the medical, makes it easier to cut poeple

my doctors examination was........ "quite exstensive" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

:) Got an email earlier saying I got through to the next stage which is just filling out a questionnaire online. The link will be sent via email to fill it out. Anyone else through to the next stage?

Here is the schedules hope it might answer a few questions:
    The competition is provisionally scheduled as follows:-

a. Recruitment Questionnaire 11th of May (You will sent an email link on that date which must be completed by the 16th of May or you will be removed from the competition).

b. PT Testing 24th May to 08th of June (In the interview center you applied for).

c. Psychometric Testing 29th, 30th of June and 01st of July (Venue yet to be decided).

d. Interviews 17th to 30th of July (In the interview center you applied for).

e. Medical 06th to 17th of August (In the interview center you applied for).

It is proposed to induct the first Platoon of successful candidates September/ October 2012.

Good luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

beco2010 wrote: »
    when i did my medical they didnt check my teeth, but they did of one of the others, also your flexibility and Coordination, but with the amount going for recruitment they can be more critical during the medical, makes it easier to cut poeple

What did this entail ?

CIGANO wrote: »
    What did this entail ?

Can't remember what the coordination involved, but the flexibility is just being able to reach your toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Onanon

I got through to recruitment testing, and the PT test dates are after my exams: sorted!

My ingrown toenail is still causing me problems, but I'm going to deal with it and run.

Good luck to every poster who got an email!

As posted on previous page:
    brembo26 wrote: »
    The competition is provisionally scheduled as follows:-

a. Recruitment Questionnaire 11th of May (You will sent an email link on that date which must be completed by the 16th of May or you will be removed from the competition).

b. PT Testing 24th May to 08th of June (In the interview center you applied for).

c. Psychometric Testing 29th, 30th of June and 01st of July (Venue yet to be decided).

d. Interviews 17th to 30th of July (In the interview center you applied for).

e. Medical 06th to 17th of August (In the interview center you applied for).

It is proposed to induct the first Platoon of successful candidates September/ October 2012.

Can't remember what the coordination involved, but the flexibility is just being able to reach your toes.

Are you sure, I am very fit but have terrible flexibility, I thought by now the DF would have realised as it is widely accepted in fitness circles that some people are just unable to touch their toes which has no impact on their fitness levels.

Are you sure, I am very fit but have terrible flexibility, I thought by now the DF would have realised that it is widely accepted in fitness circles that some people are just unable to touch there toes which has no impact on their fitness levels.

Sorry should've been clearer, its reaching towards your toes, but I can't completely reach my toes either.

Sorry should've been clearer, its reaching towards your toes, but I can't completely reach my toes either.

Ah right, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i was also told by a member of the PDF that they do in fact check out your teeth.. so i imagine they wont leave much to the imagination.

great, i had my 2 front teeth knocked out playing football just over a year ago. Will this effect me?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Anyone know what comes first in the fitness test? The run or the push/sit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Yeah same as.. haha
    but should be interesting to see what a more in depth Medical would be..
    Maybe some of the serving members of the PDF could clue us in? if at all? :)

It's been a few years since I did it but off the top of my head...

Hearing, eyesight, lung capacity, urine test, X ray, dental examination and doctor's examination.

I might be missing one though, not too sure.
    Are you sure, I am very fit but have terrible flexibility, I thought by now the DF would have realised as it is widely accepted in fitness circles that some people are just unable to touch their toes which has no impact on their fitness levels.

Don't worry about it.
    great, i had my 2 front teeth knocked out playing football just over a year ago. Will this effect me?

cheers

No, you should be fine.
    Anyone know what comes first in the fitness test? The run or the push/sit?

Push ups and sit ups, followed by the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Best of luck in recruitment process lads.

You're on route to joining an organisation which, if you want it to, can be very rewarding and enjoyable. Like every military across the globe, it has it's bull**** moments.

However, you're attempting to join at a time where the DF is preparing to go through a Re-org, a new Green Paper and White Paper is on the horizon, we're looking at increased co-operation with other countries and the organisation itself is starting to take itself more seriously.

In short, I'm sure you all hear stories of this and that with regards to promotion embargoes etc. but I just want to point out that it's not all doom and gloom in the DF. Apply yourself and you can go far.

cheers

I am nearly certain that you need a certain amount of real teeth (will quote the source word for word tomorrow if you want) but having 2 fake front teeth will be no problem.
    Poccington wrote: »
    It's been a few years since I did it but off the top of my head...

Hearing, eyesight, lung capacity, urine test, X ray, dental examination and doctor's examination.

I might be missing one though, not too sure.

Don't worry about it.

No, you should be fine.

Push ups and sit ups, followed by the run.

The only thing you are missing that I can think of is height/weight which will also be recorded on the day of your physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

What did this entail ?
    close your eyes tip your nose with both hands and bend your knees till you are near sitting on the back of your feet, also eyes are closed

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

Does anyone know how strict they are about bmi, ie wud a bmi of 28 be acceptable?? I know they do a skinfold calliper test but how strict are they with weight in general??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JamesEIRE

Whats your height ?

And hi guys i got the email aswell im happy about it and so were is the PT Test at does anyone know please reply will be epic =D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

JamesEIRE wrote: »
    Whats your height ?

And hi guys i got the email aswell im happy about it and so were is the PT Test at does anyone know please reply will be epic =D

It says on the email, at the centre you applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 JamesEIRE

It says on the email, at the centre you applied.

i applied online so ???? no being a asshole just need help thats all

Advertisement