Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Landrover Discovery Td5 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Your memory is perfect, that was me in Thurles alright. That's good to hear, I'll give it another while so. I was beginning to fear injector trouble but I'll hold off on mortgaging the house to pay for one of them for a week or two.

Is it worth opening the ECU itself in case any oil got into it?

Forgot to mention, I unplugged the MAF sensor already and it made no difference. Hopefully if the harness eventually remedies the problem I'll unplug it again to see if it improves the power. I kind of forgot about it after I met you and never got around to doing it but its definitely something I'd replace if it seems it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Practical question, for those with kids.

I've decided I'm getting a TD5.

something that's just occured to me though. The back doors look relatively narrow. what are they like for putting small kids in/out of child seats.

I know I need to get out and drive some, put the seats in/out and the kids too, but curious as to other's experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I have a baby seat in the back of mine for the last year and have no problems. Kids seem to be happy as they can see all around! Have a friend who has two baby seats in the back and she is just as happy, width of door has never seemed a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

D2s used to be the choice of yummy mummys on the school run and trips to John Lewis in the UK so I don't think you'll have a problem!

• Advertisement

Update.

Things have gotten worse unfortunately! Sean kindly stuck his diagnostics on the disco last weekend and it didn't give any major fault that would explain the problem. Both he and my girlfriend's father reckoned it might be the fuel pump so I took that out but it was clean. The problem has worsened, she has cut out on me a few times since, as soon as I meet any kind of a hill she dies away and cuts out. She'll eventually start again after plenty of swinging and she blows a fair bit of smoke while cranking the engine, which disappears again once she's running.

I'm getting a bit worried now that I'm doing damage as she's running so roughly but the guy I need to bring it to (Paddy Buckley) is about 40 miles away on hilly roads so I'm not sure if she'd even make it there.

Anyone hazard a guess what else I could try myself before I have to organise a transporter?

It does sound like the fuel pump is failing but they normally get very noisy, yours is very quiet. The only way to test one is to screw a gauge into the FPR and see if you get 4 bar.
    Just swapping it to see if it is that is expensive if it isn't, £199 from Paddocks.

One other thought, find the fuel pump relay and check it's seated properly and connections are clean.

Where exactly / roughly are you? I know of another landrover mech who is in the general area of Paddy Buckley who may come out to you?

101sean wrote: »
    It does sound like the fuel pump is failing but they normally get very noisy, yours is very quiet. The only way to test one is to screw a gauge into the FPR and see if you get 4 bar.
    Just swapping it to see if it is that is expensive if it isn't, £199 from Paddocks.

One other thought, find the fuel pump relay and check it's seated properly and connections are clean.

I actually thought of that yesterday and forgot to do it because it was lashing outside. Will do it now. Think I can swap it out with the windscreen heater relay.
    Where exactly / roughly are you? I know of another landrover mech who is in the general area of Paddy Buckley who may come out to you?

In the Macroom area if he's anywhere near that. Cheers.

Just swapped out the relay and no difference. Its a bit strange, she's revving quite freely from idle and hitting 3000-3250 rpm before she stops. Then if I take her out on the road and try to push her she'll start spluttering at around 2200 rpm.

• Advertisement

It does sound like fuel, will run out sooner under load plus it should rev to well over 3000, yours wont and misses as well.

For anyone else reading this, we thought the strainer in the pump may be blocked, been a few cases of diesel bug from dodgy or dirty fuel and they get covered in slime. The manual doesn't cover it but you can take the pump apart to clean it, don't break any of the connectors or pipes though! Obviously this wasn't the problem here.

Wrong side, the guy I was going to recommend is on the far side, more Co Tipp than Co Cork. Definitely sounds like fuel starvation.

Sean and old guy, you're both spot on. Fuel pump failure. Brought it to a guy this morning and he had it sussed in seconds. New one was €325 and it's purring now. How he diagnosed it was simple, he just put his hand on the fuel filter which was cold. After a spin it should have been hot.

Thanks a million lads, especially Sean. No doubt I'll be annoying ye soon with another problem!

They get under your skin. I have just got a Nanocom Evo for the Disco td5 if you have any other fault / programming needs. I can programme keys, read / clear faults, adjust some BCU settings etc. Handy little jobbie alright.

They are handy alright, my early Nanocom has saved me a fair bit.

Hadn't thought of the hot filter, have to remember that one! As the fuel is at fairly high temp it will get hot even though it goes through a cooler, no pressure, no heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Suckler

Just a quick query with regard to Disco clutch. My clutch seems very short, always has done. the pedal has to go right to the floor before I can change gear. Can it be adjusted?

There are no adjustments that can be made on a D2 clutch.

Try bleeding it, may be a bit of air trapped in the built in damper in the master cylinder, another poster on here had something similar some time ago. If that doesn't improve it, you have a problem with either the master or the slave cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Suckler

Thanks Sean, will have to try that. It's not causing any problems and has always been like that, will tried to bleed it to see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pcbscott

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem to the dilemma I have. One of the headlights has blow on the Discovery, its a 2003 model with the facelift headlamps.

I have to say as much as I love Landrovers and the brand in general the design here is beyond stupid.

The two top screws to undo the headlamp have rusted in the socket and are fused together, this would not be an issue if the socket was not mounted in PLASTIC!!!

In applying enough force to turn the screw naturally the plastic snaps and now the both the screw / socket / plastic just turn and turn.

I had to drill them out 6 months ago on the other side, looks like I am going to have to do the same again.

Far from ideal.

Did you liberally spray WD40 or such before hand? Really helps in these situations.

• Advertisement

I was more than liberal! - Just wondering what my options are, really don't like driving with one headlamp out, its just asking for trouble.

At the same time it should be a user serviceable part so I refuse to take it somewhere.

I suspect the plastic mount is indeed broken therefore I have little option but to drill the head of the screw out.

Just wondering what my options are once I have done that? I will use lots of lubricant this time as the The heat from the drill last time really left a mess. Are there metal mounts I can purchase that could be welded in as a suitable replacement?

I plan to sell the car in the not to distant future a mess like this will no doubt reduce the potential value in it.

Not familiar with the headlamp mount on yours but the plastic inserts into the body usuall just push in.

Do they look like this? - http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/11645/3192/2/STC1232-KIT-HEADLAMP-FIXING.html

Don't think it looks like that I'm afraid, thanks tho.

Ill try and get a photo tonight and upload it.

Those fittings are for the pre-facelift headlamps

The facelift ones do leave a bit to be desired alright. Mine were very stiff so I soaked them and left them for a few hours, then was able to crack them open.

Just to let ye know I got me a 02 td5, looks to be the last of them before the facelift as it has the cat and egr cooler, which I thought were facelift only, but seemingly the last of the pre facelifts had them too.

it came with around 3 grands worth of receipts (must actually add them up) from the last year including a new head, so hopefully it's had all the problem areas sorted.

expect lots of questions as I get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Daithi Mcnamara

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Just to let ye know I got me a 02 td5,

I used to have one like that, the last of the pre-facelift Td5's, from brand new in 2002, I kept it for five years in total. Never had any major problems with it except for the headlamp lenses forever breaking until I fitted perspex lamp protectors!

Daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Just to let ye know I got me a 02 td5, looks to be the last of them before the facelift as it has the cat and egr cooler, which I thought were facelift only, but seemingly the last of the pre facelifts had them too.

it came with around 3 grands worth of receipts (must actually add them up) from the last year including a new head, so hopefully it's had all the problem areas sorted.

expect lots of questions as I get used to it.
    Well ware hope she is lucky for you.
    Some pics are always good dont be shy.;)

So, the air con isnt working, the seller told me he'd replaced the compressor and it needed a regas.

so taking him on his word I bought a regas kit in halfords today, hooked up the gauge and it was showing 25psi. low, about 25 psi higher than a system that had been opened.

So I did some more looking. the compressor isnt spinning.

I checked the three air con fuses, all good. swapped the relay with the identical fog light relay and checked the voltage at the compressor clutch connector, no volts.

So, what do I do/check next?

Do a search and download the RAVE manual for your vehicle, the A/C section in the electrical library is 10 pages! I tried to extract them for you but my pdf printer throws up an error.

• Advertisement

I'm on another forum too and had a suggestion from an A/C guy there.

The system has a switch which will not allow the compressor to run unless there's a certain amount of pressure present.

I put a small shot of gas in and it took off so I put in the whole bottle and it's now blowing icy cold.

ordering an injector harness tomorrow.

Advertisement