The Funny Side of not being straight. - Page 29 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools
13-03-2015, 00:24   #421
Paddy C
Registered User
 
Paddy C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,852
I liked her earlier stuff, can't say I bothered listening to her later albums. The last single I heard of hers was "My Love Is Your Love".
Paddy C is online now  
Advertisement
15-03-2015, 23:51   #422
BetterThanThou
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 885
Any time anyone lets the F word slip, I love giving them a look of disgust as if I'm seriously offended, they always go silent. In reality I couldn't care, as far as I'm concerned, that word has evolved from being a slur directed at homosexuals.
BetterThanThou is offline  
16-03-2015, 16:36   #423
daithi84
Registered User
 
daithi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanThou View Post
Any time anyone lets the F word slip, I love giving them a look of disgust as if I'm seriously offended, they always go silent. In reality I couldn't care, as far as I'm concerned, that word has evolved from being a slur directed at homosexuals.
Totally disagree, the F word (which rhymes with maggot) to me is never acceptable and extremely offensive.
daithi84 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
16-03-2015, 16:53   #424
BetterThanThou
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi84 View Post
Totally disagree, the F word (which rhymes with maggot) to me is never acceptable and extremely offensive.
I totally understand why many other homosexuals would be offended by the word, and I respect their opinion, I just personally feel the word has totally evolved and no longer really means what it originally did. South Park even had an entire episode dedicated to this, and pretty much explains how I feel about the word. Though of course, it's also a matter of context, even though the word doesn't offend me, it has been used in certain contexts that have offended me in the past.
BetterThanThou is offline  
16-03-2015, 17:07   #425
daithi84
Registered User
 
daithi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanThou View Post
I totally understand why many other homosexuals would be offended by the word, and I respect their opinion, I just personally feel the word has totally evolved and no longer really means what it originally did. South Park even had an entire episode dedicated to this, and pretty much explains how I feel about the word. Though of course, it's also a matter of context, even though the word doesn't offend me, it has been used in certain contexts that have offended me in the past.
For me the word has not evolved and i wouldn't want it to, it makes me very uncomfortable. Some of my gay friends use it jokingly between them, like in a play way but i wouldn't want the word used in any fashion or adopted in that way. Its just a word of pure hate to me.

This is just my opinion; everyone can allow people to call them whatever they like. I dont mind the word 'fag' being used jovially between gay people but the other f word sends chills down my spine. Just me is all. each to their own.
daithi84 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2015, 19:20   #426
Aard
Moderator
 
Aard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,344
For me I don't mind the word ****** so much. It's become just as bland as any of the other "bad words" for gays.

Conversely, what sends chills down my spine (ok maybe not to such an extent) is when gay people use the word "fag" to describe each other. It's a combination of cringe and disgust when I hear it.

I prefer to use the word homosexual, but then I discovered that some people don't like that word either. End of the day -- you can't win really, so just use whichever word you like
Aard is offline  
16-03-2015, 22:13   #427
Ash885
Registered User
 
Ash885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 351
I despise the word. A gay friend of mine used it twice to call me and instantly said sorry before he even saw my reaction. I don't get it's appeal even as a term of enderment...*shudder*
Ash885 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools



Share Tweet