Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What carbs for lunch ?

• 19-02-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭

He folks just wiondering what carbs do you eat for your lunch,
    I normally have sweet potato or brown rice with my DInner ,but for lunch i eat 2 slices of home made brown bread,but im going to try and compelety come off eating bread, what do you folks normally eat ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Carrots, broccoli, peas, cauliflower and spinach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Those aren't carbs...

OP: Marks and Spencers do a nice range of salads that have things like quinoa, butternut puree, cous cous, bulgur wheat, stuff like that. Tend to have a lower GI.

What's your angle - keeping calories down? Fueling workout? Tasting nice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oat bran, latte flavoured whey, flaxseed

nom nom nom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Zillah wrote: »
    Those aren't carbs...

Do tell...

Hanley wrote: »
    Do tell...

Huh, looking up the numbers, these things are more carby than I realised. Still not really in the league of bread though. Cauliflower and broccoli have 5/6g per 100, for example. Spinach has 3.

• Advertisement

Oh my god, vegetables aren't carbs anymore??!

Why didn't anyone tell me?! When did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

Wholemeal pitta

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If it's not bread, it's not carbs.

I thought everyone got that memo.

There's a difference between something having carbs and something being a good source of carbs. It's like that bloody Brennans Bread ad where they describe it as a source of protein. Sure, ok, it has protein, but it would be stupid to say it is a good source of protein.

You can't think spinach providing 3g of carbs per 100g of weight makes it a good source of carbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

yesterday , it was on the news.

OP - if I'm training later I'll have oats with berries at lunch , with my salad, meat and protein shake

If not not I'll leave out the oats/berries and just have salad and shake.
    ocassioanlly if rice is left over from last nights dinner I'll have that
    But that said my lunch is my breakfast (about 600- 700 cals)

• Advertisement

There's a difference between something having carbs and something being a good source of carbs. It's like that bloody Brennans Bread ad where they describe it as a source of protein. Sure, ok, it has protein, but it would be stupid to say it is a good source of protein.

You can't think spinach providing 3g of carbs per 100g of weight makes it a good source of carbs?

The OP probably doesn't want to eat something as carb heavy as bread if he's giving up bread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's a good source of nutrients. Far more important!

But as you flagged in an earlier post it's hard to say what a good source of carbs are without clarification.

...but for most - vegetables are the best source of carbs, because unless you're involved in instense sport and frequent training, you're probably over consuming.

The OP probably doesn't want to eat something as carb heavy as bread if he's giving up bread.

So? He didn't ask for low-carb food, he specifically asked for "carbs for lunch". Foods in the 3-5g per 100g range hardly count.

So? He didn't ask for low-carb food, he specifically asked for "carbs for lunch". Foods in the 3-5g per 100g range hardly count.

Why wouldn't they?

He's looking for a suggestion for a replacement for two slices of bread at lunch, not something to replace carbs entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I eat a white bread demi baguette from time to time, because eating some bread at lunch isn't going to ruin my whole diet ;)

Today i had buttermilk soda bread with almost equal amounts of butter. Was heaven.

I cycle to work so I devour all sorts of dirty carbs at lunch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

If it's not beige, it's not carbs. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 FortuneWookiee

Oh FFS you knew well what the OP meant by carbs. You can assume they're eating veg anyway if they're having rice or sweet potato.

It was obvious they were looking for complex carbs but you thought you'd try and be smart.

Oh FFS you knew well what the OP meant by carbs. You can assume they're eating veg anyway if they're having rice or sweet potato.

It was obvious they were looking for complex carbs but you thought you'd try and be smart.

Actually no I wasn't trying to be smart.

He said 'What do folks normally eat'
    I said what i eat.

This was my lunch today.

j6nckn.jpg

So that's chicken on top of cauliflower, broccoli, peas and spinach.

So take your FFS and shove it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Those aren't carbs...

Carrots per 100g - Carb: 10g, Fat: 0.2g, Protein: 0.9g

You can google the others yourself.

Edit: I need to refresh before replying any more!

• Advertisement

Incorrect. The OP said they had sweet potato or rice for dinner. They had two slices of brown bread for lunch and asked for an alternative suggestion..

You can let the OP have a taste of your humble pie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jaysus that's all a bit angry
    maybe you need some cake??
    Of course veg is carbs. Nothing smart about it
    I have veg for mine also
    anything much heavier like bread or portatoes and it's afternoon nap time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

tumblr_me2x8dPttA1rm2lheo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Baked sweet potato, broccoli and cauliflower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Dozen creme eggs

Dozen creme eggs

Reminds me of taking my last five pounds out of the Post Office. The fiver with Scotus on it.

The local shop had 4 creme egss for a pound at the time.

So I bought 20.

The story ends, inevitably, with me feeling very, very ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Nice to see this forum hasn't changed

Reminds me of taking my last five pounds out of the Post Office. The fiver with Scotus on it.

The local shop had 4 creme egss for a pound at the time.

So I bought 20.

The story ends, inevitably, with me feeling very, very ill.

I have no problem eating 20 creme eggs in one sitting. I'm lucky they are limited to a 3 month selling window or I'd probably be dead

I have no problem eating 20 creme eggs in one sitting. I'm lucky they are limited to a 3 month selling window or I'd probably be dead

I was 11 or thereabouts.

My eating capacity was much lower.

The whole episode taught me a valuable lesson though.

Use the brakes on a BMX - don't try and stop it by putting your foot on the back wheel (I got myself a bruised toe on the way to town that morning).

• Advertisement

Tesco ballybrack have em 12 for 4 yo yo. I might go for the Cadbury cool hand luke challenge and eat 50.

Edit. If I did that and 50 scoops of whey I wouldn't be far off my weekly macro totals. I might just live of creme eggs and whey til April.

Advertisement