Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A plea to Ganley to enter the Dáil!

• 04-10-2009 3:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

I reckon we need a Ganley in the Dáil - what do you think? A bit of democracy and accountability does no harm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Declan Ganley doesn't mix with democracy or accountability.

And please don't encourage him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

With his ability to do U-turns and his various vested interests maybe he could fit in nicely. However, I think we could do with proper politicians in this country (i.e. get rid of the ones we have) and therefore we should avoid electing "snake oil salesmen" like Ganley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

He was told quite firmly to bugger off by the electorate when he tried to run for the European Parliament. Hopefully if he decides to run for the Dail he'll get a similar message.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

kbannon wrote: »
    With his ability to do U-turns and his various vested interests maybe he could fit in nicely. However, I think we could do with proper politicians in this country (i.e. get rid of the ones we have) and therefore we should avoid electing "snake oil salesmen" like Ganley.

Very well put. It's really is time to cut out the petty local politics too and concentrate on what the country needs.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I can assure you if he does run (in galway east, which would be his "Home" Consituancy) I will be on the N17 down there to Canvass for almost anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Only Mary Lou doesn't take 'No' for an answer more! Maybe she has gaurentees each time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 odoylerulez

You guys really hate ganley don't you. He represents everything you could never be. Honest.

It drives you crazy to see someone calling you on your bull. Thats why you reserve all your venom for him. Its ok to admit the truth because it can be seen in your words. Calling him a snake oil salesman thats really very funny coming from some of you guys who support the current crop of absolute excuses for humanity we have in government. When your finished bootlicking they have a space reserved for you in the carlot. You can drive them home from work maybe pick up a penny or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He said he was stepping away from politics after being rejected by the electorate in the European elections.

And then he comes back again....

He was either lying to us or just changing his plans and has no idea what he plans to do.
    Why not make a decision and stick with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Calling him a snake oil salesman thats really very funny coming from some of you guys who support the current crop of absolute excuses for humanity we have in government.
    Throwing out one band of gombeens doesn't mean we need to replace them with another gombeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I think Ganley could add some much needed colour to the Dail. And he's the type I could do business with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

The man's a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Declan Ganley is about as shady as any of the worse politicians Ireland has ever seen. He seems a nice guy outside of politics (don't know him personally, but know people who have dealings with him before) but it's pretty well documented when it comes to politics he puts the interests of his American military business buddies before that of Ireland and the EU. Not someone who I would ever want to see in the Daíl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

While I'd like to see fresh blood, honestly, the impression I get from Ganley is just more of the same that has gone on before.
    Until he makes a clear break from the rest and actually states what his present background is, what are his connections to the American arms business and who is backing him, he is no more different than the current rest.

Until then I pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

mikemac wrote: »
    He said he was stepping away from politics after being rejected by the electorate in the European elections.

And then he comes back again....

some nerve there alright!!!
    He was either lying to us or just changing his plans and has no idea what he plans to do.
    Why not make a decision and stick with it?

Make a decision and stick to it..... like the Lisbon result first time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

He's a bitter, shady, dishonest slimeball. I feel sorry for those of you who admire him. If you dig just a little bit deeper into absolutely everything he said about Lisbon, you will realise it was all lies. He has never expressed his opinions or ideologies on anything except the Lisbon Treaty, and it is extremely unclear why is against that. All of the reasons he cited were lies, and I have no doubt that he knows they are lies, therefore it follows that he has other motives. And who knows what they are, given that the only people he seems to associate with are Tories, fundamentalist Catholics, neo-conservatives, Euroskeptics and the US military.

The Fianna Failures are dire, but at least we know where we stand with them. Ganley is just downright sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I think this says it all. This man has motives way beyond the good of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

darkman2 wrote: »
    I reckon we need a Ganley in the Dáil - what do you think? A bit of democracy and accountability does no harm.

Not necessary; we have John O'Donoghue for that and don't forget that Rody Boland was Chairman of the Public Accounts committee.
    All is well, continue with your lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

He's more articulate than any current TD
    He's up there with the most intelligent.

If you've actualy seen a Dail debate or have been in the viewing gallery you will know what I mean.

You'll see the terribly delivered yet still pre-prepaired mumblings from a ruddy faced rural TD who looks like he hasnt been in a suit since his confirmation.
    1 hand in pocket, face buried into chin reading from his script, shuffling from 1 foot to another.

How anyone here could say that Ganley wouldnt improve the Dail clearly has never seen the Dail!

If you've actualy seen a Dail debate or have been in the viewing gallery you will know what I mean.

You'll see the terribly delivered yet still pre-prepaired mumblings from a ruddy faced rural TD who looks like he hasnt been in a suit since his confirmation.
    1 hand in pocket, face buried into chin reading from his script, shuffling from 1 foot to another.

How anyone here could say that Ganley wouldnt improve the Dail clearly has never seen the Dail!

Great, so he'd be aesthetically good for the Dáil. So would some new carpet.

We need new ideas in this country, not new eye candy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Great, so he'd be aesthetically good for the Dáil. So would some new carpet.

We need new ideas in this country, not new eye candy.

And what makes you think you will see "new ideas" from the 166 TD's already there?

I'd take my chances with Galney over the vast majority of the over-promoted councillors already there.

This thread is speculation and all we can go by is impressions.
    IMO he makes a better impression than nearly all the cabbages currently infesting Dail Eireann.

You and I will be long dead before our current type of parliamentarian come up with radical ideas for governance, this guy just might.

We may not like what he says but at least he has something to say!

• Advertisement

You guys really hate ganley don't you. He represents everything you could never be. Honest.

It drives you crazy to see someone calling you on your bull. Thats why you reserve all your venom for him. Its ok to admit the truth because it can be seen in your words. Calling him a snake oil salesman thats really very funny coming from some of you guys who support the current crop of absolute excuses for humanity we have in government. When your finished bootlicking they have a space reserved for you in the carlot. You can drive them home from work maybe pick up a penny or two!
    I dn't reserve all my venom for him. However, the question was do we think we need Ganley in the Dail. I think this would be a bad thing. I also think many currently in there is a bad thing but that is somewhat irrelevant.
    I do not want someone that (even by rumour) is associated with murder and various dodgy dealings.
    I also do not believe that he has the national interest at heart. Personally I feel that his opposition to the treaty lies somewhere with his position in Riviada.

Wearing a suit or being articulate doesn't necessarily mean that you would be a good politician representing the best needs of your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

And don't forget that he wouldn't need his hair done on a FAS junket, so this guy could save us some money.

There's a simple reason why he would never get elected to anything in this country. HIS ACCENT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Let get this straight. some want to invite into the Dail a person that has more shady American military connections than the rest of the TDs put together.

As bad at the current crowd is in the Dail - and they are BAD!
    To let this man eventually walk in, along presumably with his known and unknown shady backers - would be a nightmare scenario that could only be normally found in fiction thrillers!

..."A' but hell, he knows how to make a good speech."

Yea. So did Hitler, Idi Amin, Fedel Castro, Stalin, Lenin, Mugabe, ex-pres Bush etc to name a few, who all started off from humble beginnings too don't forget!

And what makes you think you will see "new ideas" from the 166 TD's already there?

I'd take my chances with Galney over the vast majority of the over-promoted councillors already there.

This thread is speculation and all we can go by is impressions.
    IMO he makes a better impression than nearly all the cabbages currently infesting Dail Eireann.

You and I will be long dead before our current type of parliamentarian come up with radical ideas for governance, this guy just might.

We may not like what he says but at least he has something to say!

We probably won't see any new ideas from our current TD's, but they definitely won't come from Ganley, who's already shown himself to have no qualms about lying to and misleading the public, even more blatantly than any of the current members of the Dáil. Over the course of the campaign, I didn't see the man make one argument that wasn't a blatant lie or a mangled distortion of the truth. And what exactly is it that he has to say?

You'd really like to see someone like that in the Dáil?

People like this need to be kept away from any sort of power as much as possible, not given a mandate to influence the running of this country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Its funny how supportes of a given cause can turn words to some obscure meaning. The OP calims Ganley will bring democracy and accountablily. The latter is acceptable enough - some TD's can be more accountable than others, although Ganley fits firmly into the unaccountable category what with the hidden agenda and funding etc.

But how in the name of God can a TD be more democratic? Just think about that for a second. It doesnt make the least bit of sense. Its a pity that 'democracy' has become such a buzzword. Along with 'fairness', 'equality' and 'freedom'. A more democratic TD. Mind boggling.

turgon wrote: »
    Its funny how supportes of a given cause can turn words to some obscure meaning. The OP calims Ganley will bring democracy and accountablily. The latter is acceptable enough - some TD's can be more accountable than others, although Ganley fits firmly into the unaccountable category what with the hidden agenda and funding etc.

But how in the name of God can a TD be more democratic? Just think about that for a second. It doesnt make the least bit of sense. Its a pity that 'democracy' has become such a buzzword. Along with 'fairness', 'equality' and 'freedom'. A more democratic TD. Mind boggling.

I actually overlooked that at first.

Made me laugh though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

eamon234 wrote: »
    I think this says it all. This man has motives way beyond the good of this country.

The person referred to is Crispen Odey a hedge fund boss who profited from short selling Irish stocks, that’s capitalism for ya. Short selling is a legal practice nothing shady there. On the other hand Fianna Fail would be past masters of the political donations from dodgy sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

poor sod doesn't know what nationality he is!
    He claims to be Irish, British and is he hoping to become American?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

It's always good to have dissenters and detractors in government. Keeps democracy and debate alive.

As for his nationality, I have multiple nationality, so what about it? If he's Irish, then his other nationalities don't really matter. Unless he's a spy, is he an international Man of Mystery??

Advertisement