Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

snubbleste wrote: »
    Worringly the Tribune refers to Fahey as a government minister..
    Don't you need planning permission to put up signs like this? Where do I complain?

SC_Fahey_Sign.jpg

Saved me going out for a walk, thanks :D

Funny enough he put a MASSIVE motorway symbol on it despite the fact that the bypass will not be a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Funny enough he put a MASSIVE motorway symbol on it despite the fact that the bypass will not be a motorway.

Tee hee... and it should be patched with a blue background on a green sign, just like the TSM says!

"Ministers"... they know nothing... sure no wonder the country is in the state it's in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Saved me going out for a walk, thanks :D

It will be HQDC though, won't it?

.....that it if Frankeen ever succeeds in building it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

churchview wrote: »

Frankeen could not even build his own website , http://www.isupportthegalwaybypass.com/

But more good news

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9122-second-high-court-challenge-city-outer-pass-dismissed
    The High Court has dismissed a second challenge to the Bord Pleanála approval of the Eastern half of the Galway City outer bypass.

Mr Justice George Birmingham refused leave to appeal to environmental group Hands Across the Corrib Ltd this afternoon.

Earlier he dismissed a challenge by environmentalist Peter Sweetman of Lower Rathmines Road in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ah now, Frank is generously organising field trips for interested people to see the sacred limestone pavement at Menlo and the blessed cotton bog at Tonabrucky according to yesterday's Advertiser.

It worries me to see our representative going to this extent and forgive my cyncism but what is in this project for him or his buddies?

• Advertisement

churchview wrote: »
    It will be HQDC though, won't it?

No, it'll be standard DC AFAIK. Wont have the curves for 120kmh.

Ah now, Frank is generously organising field trips for interested people to see the sacred limestone pavement at Menlo and the blessed cotton bog at Tonabrucky according to yesterday's Advertiser.

I will give you two chances of getting a guided field trip from Frankeen himself or even from his secretary in the office up in Ballybane . Might do no harm to ask and see what happens though :D

http://www.frankfahey.ie/

The NRA is safe to publish the new route options and to fast track the selection procedure a la Adare .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

No, it'll be standard DC AFAIK. Wont have the curves for 120kmh.

It looks like motorway quality on the drawings and 100kph is acceptable on the M50 so I don't see why the M6 cannot be extended

Worringly the Tribune refers to Fahey as a government minister..
    Don't you need planning permission to put up signs like this? Where do I complain?

SC_Fahey_Sign.jpg

Just noticed something else wrong aside from the motorway sign. It says non stop. It isnt. From both Barna and the Western Distributor, you have to go round one roundabout. (The plans state S2 for the western distributor link road and from the junction of that with the new N6 and the link to Barna). These link up via a roundabout.

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/n6_outer/intermap.htm

So no Frank, its not motorway and its not non-stop. Get your facts right.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9122-second-high-court-challenge-city-outer-pass-dismissed
    Fri 9th October 2009
    The High Court has dismissed a second challenge to the Bord Pleanála approval of the Eastern half of the Galway City outer bypass.

Mr Justice George Birmingham refused leave to appeal to environmental group Hands Across the Corrib Ltd this afternoon.

Earlier he dismissed a challenge by environmentalist Peter Sweetman of Lower Rathmines Road in Dublin.

He took the case against the Bord and the State claiming that the road approval breached the Natural Habitats regulations.

It's now likely the National Roads Authority will fund research on the new route options for the Western half of the Outer city bypass.

Speaking outside the High Court, Hands Across the Corrib campaigner Mary Francis O'Chonghaile vowed to fight on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

THE HIGH Court has dismissed claims by environmental campaigners and the State that An Bord Pleanála's go-ahead for construction of the €317 million Galway city outer bypass road is invalid because it breaches European law.
    Mr Justice George Birmingham, in separate judgments likely to have implications for other environmental challenges, yesterday rejected on all grounds the challenges to An Bord Pleanála's November 2008 approval for the road scheme. The challenges were made by environmentalist Peter Sweetman and Hands Across The Corrib Ltd, "Carraig Ban", Ballinfoyle, Co Galway, an environmental non-government organisation.
    The judge also refused applications by both challengers and the State to refer issues to the European Court of Justice concerning interpretation of provisions of the EU habitats directive so as to secure clarity on the meaning of those.
    The judge ruled that the planning board's decision document clearly and succinctly addressed the major issues in the case and left no doubt as to how the board had reached its decision.
    He ruled the board had given clear reasons for its decision that the road project would not adversely affect the "integrity" of the Lough Corrib candidate Special Area of Conservation (cSAC)site but would have a "localised" severe impact.
    He rejected the arguments that once the board found there would be a localised severe impact on the site, it followed as a matter of law that such an impact would adversely affect the integrity of the site within the meaning of Article 6.3 of the habitats directive.
    A central issue in the case was interpretation of Article 6.3, which stipulates any plan likely to have a significant effect on a protected site must be appropriately assessed as to its implications for the site's conservation objectives and prohibits approval of any plan which adversely impacts on the "integrity" of the site.
    The applicants had contended, where it was concluded a proposed development would have a significant effect on a protected site and this was an adverse effect, then approval must be refused at that stage and an alternative procedure adopted designed to deal specifically with projects that adversely affect the integrity of relevant sites.
    The judge found the board had not misinterpreted the directive or the regulations. He said the directive has been considered in many legal cases and he had not been referred to any unequivocal statement that a significant effect on a site equates to an effect on the "integrity" of a site.
    It was clear a "formidable threshold" must be crossed before a project could be approved as one not adversely affecting the integrity of a protected site, he noted.
    He ruled the "clear language" of the directive provided for a two-stage procedure involving the national authorities ascertaining (1) whether a proposed project was likely to have a significant effect on a site and, if so, considering (2) if the project would affect the integrity of a site.
    The directive and regulations also made clear, even if the site was adversely affected, it was possible some projects might still proceed for imperative reasons of overriding public interest, he said.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1010/1224256343970.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Thank you Mr Justice George Birmingham!

I hope Peter Sweetman and Hands Across the Corrib just drop it now.

Excellent news. Lets have the NRA sort out the western section and get the PPP schedule sorted out.

I hope they dont build the eastern section without a new route for the western. With current monies, its got to be the whole thing.

I'm still not happy that there is no link to the current N17.

It is daft, but they want people to use the M17, so they've left out that junction.

Its stupid and wont solve the Claregalway problem. The inner relief road must be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It is daft, but they want people to use the M17, so they've left out that junction.

Its stupid and wont solve the Claregalway problem. The inner relief road must be built.

There needs to be a dual carriageway from Loughgeorge to link up with the City by-pass, common sense. Then again,a certain elected TD probably doesn't own any potential developement land along that route.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

galwayrush wrote: »
    There needs to be a dual carriageway from Loughgeorge to link up with the City by-pass, common sense. Then again,a certain elected TD probably doesn't own any potential developement land along that route.:rolleyes:

Not going to happen. The proposed M17/M18 route will have a junction near Athenry, so there no politcal argument for having a link into the existing N17 (not that the propsed setup makes any sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

I'm still not happy that there is no link to the current N17.

I'm afraid that N17 users are going to be even more annoyed if the proposed Special Speed Limit Bye-Laws pass. See attached or at http://www.galwaycity.ie/TopNews/MainBody,6191,en.html

There is no reason for the speed limit to be lowered from 100kph to 50kph for 1km. That road is wide and in good condition.

The time for people to submit their objections expires on 13th of November (www.galwaycity.ie)

DanielI wrote: »
    I'm afraid that N17 users are going to be even more annoyed if the proposed Special Speed Limit Bye-Laws pass. See attached or at http://www.galwaycity.ie/TopNews/MainBody,6191,en.html

There is no reason for the speed limit to be lowered from 100kph to 50kph for 1km. That road is wide and in good condition.

The time for people to submit their objections expires on 13th of November (www.galwaycity.ie)

I don't understand why the N6 Dual Carriageway is in there. Why is a 100kmh limit being proposed for it when it already has a 100kmh limit?

KevR wrote: »
    I don't understand why the N6 Dual Carriageway is in there. Why is a 100kmh limit being proposed for it when it already has a 100kmh limit?

If there is a temporary lower speed limit on these roads (don't think so, unless they have lowered it around the junction works in Doughiska) they'd have to re-adjust them.

• Advertisement

Where are they moving this limit to? The Parkmore village junction is already very close to / inside the 50 KM limit, are they talking about Hazelwood (the road to the industrial estates)?

That's the Headford Road on either side of Ballindooley Castle lads , not the N17 at all , look at the map willye:(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That's the Headford Road on either side of Ballindooley Castle lads , not the N17 at all , look at the map willye:(

I can't read the map of the Tuam Rd/N17 but from the main document it's kinda clear that the Tuam rd 50km limit is being extended

"Roads in the City of Galway in respect of which a special speed limit of 50 kilometres per hour is prescribed.
    The following roads:
    (i) The N17 (Tuam Road) from the N17/Parkmore Village junction to the Galway City boundary 1,060 metres north of the N17/Parkmore Village junction.
    (ii) The L1005 (Coolagh Road) from a point 90 metres north of Carrig Bán estate junction for 1,415 metres to the junction with L1006 (Monument Road).
    (iii) The L1006 (Monument Road) from its junction with L1005 (Coolagh Road) for 1,677 metres to the City boundary at Menlo.
    (iv) The L51516 (Monument Road) from the City boundary at Ballindooley for 625 metres to the N84 (Headford Road) Ballindooley Crossroads.
    7"

antoobrien wrote: »
    If there is a temporary lower speed limit on these roads (don't think so, unless they have lowered it around the junction works in Doughiska) they'd have to re-adjust them.

There's a 60kmh around Doughiska at the moment so that must be it.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Page 3 in the Map document is refering to the Tuam Rd.

The 50kph zone will be extended from where it is now, to pass the City North Business Park (Kenny Motors) and end at the City boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭serfboard

The 50kph zone will be extended from where it is now, to pass the City North Business Park (Kenny Motors) and end at the City boundary.

I'm not surprised at this in one sense ... I imagine it will extend as far as the Parkmore industrial area junction on the N17?

In any case, if the Quincentennial Bridge, Bothar Na dTreabh (link road from Menlo roundabout to N17) and Claregalway 50km limits are anything to go by, it will be neither adhered to nor enforced.

serfboard wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at this in one sense ... I imagine it will extend as far as the Parkmore industrial area junction on the N17?

In any case, if the Quincentennial Bridge, Bothar Na dTreabh (link road from Menlo roundabout to N17) and Claregalway 50km limits are anything to go by, it will be neither adhered to nor enforced.

I'm glad you mentioned those roads, because they were supposed to have their speed limits increased to 80kph, in the Draft Bye-Laws of 2007 (see attached). Somehow, the council did not go ahead with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

OIREACHTAS TRANSPORT committee chairman Frank Fahey has defended his decision to erect unauthorised billboards in support of the Galway city outer bypass.
    The Galway West TD and former county councillor has confirmed he has been asked by Galway County Council to remove the billboards at Cappagh road and Barna, but intends to apply for retention. “It is a genuine attempt on my part to show the enormous significance of this project to the people of Galway,” he told The Irish Times .
    The billboards, which state that the “Galway city outer bypass starts here” and attach Mr Fahey’s name, constituency office address and contact details, are on the western section of the route which has been denied planning approval by An Bord Pleanála.
    Galway County Council says that the billboards are in breach of planning regulations and litter legislation and will have to be removed within “several days”.
    Half of the route from the city’s eastern border as far as Gortacleva was approved by An Bord Pleanála in November 2008, but permission for the western section from Gortacleva to Barna was turned down due to its impact on Tonabrocky Bog’s slender cotton grass (eriophorum gracile) and designated habitats.
    The board’s decision on the approved section was then appealed to the High Court. Late last week, the court dismissed the challenge by Hands Across the Corrib Ltd and environmental consultant Peter Sweetman.
    Mr Fahey said he believed there was strong public support in Galway for the project. “It is my firm belief that the growth and development of Galway city will be negatively hindered unless this vital piece of infrastructure is allowed to proceed and soon,” he said.
    “Once completed, it will be a critical part of the integrated transport plan that will enable Galway city to have a high quality public transport system,” he said. There was a “silent majority” in support of the road project, he said.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1013/1224256511213.html

"It is a genuine attempt on my part to show the enormous significance of this project to the people of Galway,” he told The Irish Times .
    The billboards, which state that the “Galway city outer bypass starts here” and attach Mr Fahey’s name,

It is true that this project is enormously significant for everyone living in Galway and trying to highlight this significance would be commendable..... It's a pity he decided to attach his name and make the whole thing tacky & motivated for self gain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm delighted to see the County Council takes complaints from the public seriously in relation to unauthorised signage/litter and not just bow to political pressure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement