Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Film Awards 2012 - Results!

• 25-01-2013 9:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Your votes are in everyone! Pasted below are the results of the film forum 2012 awards. Myself and Sad Professor once again extend our gratitude to Mr. E for his help in putting the poll together. So, without further ado...

Worst Acting Performance
    Kristen Stewart and cast - Twilight

Most Overrated Film
    Ted

Worst Film
    Twilight

Most Disappointing Film
    Prometheus (Joint Winner)
    Taken 2 (Joint Winner)

Best Actress
    Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook (Joint Winner)
    Elizabeth Olsen - Martha Marcy May Marlene (Joint Winner)

Best Supporting Actress
    Amy Adams - The Master

Best Actor
    Joaquin Phoenix - The Master

Best Newcomer (Acting)
    Elizabeth Olsen - Martha Marcy May Marlene

Supporting Actor
    Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master

Best Character
    Bane - The Dark Knight Rises

Best Screenplay
    Argo

Best Cinematography
    Skyfall

Best Newcomer (Director)
    Gareth Evans – The Raid

Best Director
    Ben Affleck - Argo

Best Soundtrack
    The Dark Knight Rises

Best Special Effects
    Life of Pi

Film That Deserved Better
    Dredd

Best Scene
    Killer Joe – Southern Fried Chicken

Best Hollywood
    Argo

Best American Indie
    The Master

Best Non-American English
    Skyfall

Best Foreign Language
    The Raid

Best Irish
    What Richard Did

Best Dumb Fun
    The Raid

Best Documentary
    The Imposter

Best Animation
    Brave

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some comments:

Thought there was a very nice, diverse list of nominations this year. A welcome level of variety amongst all the categories, and hopefully has flagged some films worth watching for a lot of people.

Results are mostly predictable. High-profile genre films like The Raid and Skyfall inevitably dominated categories - as ever it's a shame smaller, more unusual films didn't stand much of a chance, but hey at least The Raid kicks ass, and while Bond's latest outing split opinion it is undeniable Roger Deakins did a hell of a job with Skyfall.

Glad to see Life of Pi as the best special effects winner - it just barely had the nominations to get onto the shortlist! A wonderful example of how SFX can be used to very creative effect, and offered by far the most immersive, beautiful CGI spectacle of 2012.

I'm no big fan of Argo by any stretch, and especially would personally strongly disagree with Ben Affleck as best director of the year. But at the same time I'm also glad to see it in the stead of any of the bigger, louder blockbusters in the Hollywood category - particularly amazed and relieved The Avengers didn't get more of a look in. Not a single award, in fact! Would have thought that would have swept up some categories based on its popularity at release.

This year might be the first time a new Chris Nolan release didn't completely own the awards. While I'm firmly in the pro-TDKR camp, it's also good to see a bit of a change of pace.

The Master dominates the acting categories, and its deserved. Would agree with all the acting choices, actually - 'twas a very good year for interesting performances in general. Particularly hoping Elizabeth Olsen lives up to her Martha, Marcy... potential going forward!

Killer Joe's best scene award also a surprise, but I think a lot of films like The Raid and The Avengers suffered from split-voting for different scenes at the nomination stage. Can't complain about the eventual winner - it's one hell of a memorable conclusion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Can't argue with that. They're all worthwhile winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I can't believe I forgot to nominate Billy's (Sam Rockwell) suggestion for how Marty's (Colin Farrell) screenplay should finish in Seven Psychopaths as best scene of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Happy with all the results except Best Animation. The choice wasn't huge this year and Brave was fine, but larger cinema audiences for ParaNorman might have helped to show what a gem of a movie it is...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Not that it matters but was there a breakdown of where the votes went ...I'm a whore for statistics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 machiavelli99

Amour for best foreign film, id give it best director too

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

I missed the boat in the nominations for this award but delighted to see Ted as most Overrated film. I would have it as a contender for Worst Film in fact. I should qualify this by saying I am not immune to liking dumb comedies (I like Kingpin for gods sake :)) but Ted and both Hangover movies vastly overrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

I'd love to have seen Django up there especially in terms of the soundtrack best I've heard in years.

One little thing is I think you should start with the positive's and the major awards rather than straight to the negatives. That's just format though.

I'm really excited about The Master now, must go see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wallace Wu

Yeah, Thanks for your information

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wallace Wu

:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement