Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

On the point of inspiring kids, I think it depends on what you want to inspire them to be. If you want them to become top level athletes, then they need role-models like Mad Len Ciarán O'Lionaird that are inspirational and accessible and successful. If you want them to get up of their fat asses and do a bit of sport, then they will get more inspiration closer to home and if Auntie Mary can run 10K, then maybe I can.

Agreed that the Irish Runner does not know where it is going. It is out of date before it is published. If it wants to be successful then it has to appeal to a bigger audience than the elite Irish athletics fan and there are lots of people out there running 10Ks and marathons that are its natural market, if only they knew how to reach them. Putting a 3:30 marathon runner on its cover is an attempt at that.

Does anyone know if IR is commercially sound, its hard to see how it makes money?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think the inspirational effect of elite athletes in Ireland is going to be limited by the facts that there aren't many Irish elite athletes, and athletics doesn't get a lot of coverage in the media. Talking about kids being inspired to play football is all well and good, but Messi is the best in the world. Richard Dunne isn't at that level (and I don't think he inspires many) but football is already popular and the Premier League would be on telly all the time even if he wasn't playing in it. International rugby will be on telly, whether Ireland are good or ****. International athletics... not so much.

In athletics, the discussion of Irish athletes is about people getting the A standard to go to the games, maybe making the final, maybe getting a medal. Whatever the inspirational effect is of seeing someone win , the effect of seeing someone come 5th in the final is much less, surely. (Even though 5th in the world is an amazing achievement, by any standard)

But I think if you look at the sports that kids pick up,its the sports they do in school, and the sports their parents play. Dad plays golf, kid plays golf. Mum plays hockey, kid plays hockey. Tennis, badminton, squash - if a parent plays, they'll bring the kids to the club and get them involved. And if the parents are runners themselves, if they're club members themselves, they're more likely to encourage the kid along to races, to see it as more than a babysitting service that will occupy a few evenings for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Kids aren't going to be inspired by seeing an elite on the front of the magazine if they have no idea as to who he/she is. By showcasing someone who has achieved personal success through running it may encourage more parents to become participants and they in turn may appreciate the elite level atheletes enough to turn on the telly for the 5,000/10,000 metres. This then gets watched by the whole family and then the kids get to see the great atheletes and will know who Fionnuala Britton et al are.

A little of topic but there is going to be great hype and excitement having the Olympics so close to home. Are athletics clubs / AAI looking to benefit from this exposure?

04072511 wrote: »
    Sure when I was a kid I ran around cluelessly pretending to be Eric Cantona on the crappy grass pitch at the top of my estate. During the Olympics I would race the other kids thinking I was Michael Johnson. I liked to be Tiger Tim Henman come Wimbledon time, and I recall a few of us likeing to think we were Jonah Lomu the odd time we threw a rugby ball around. Not once did I think I was Uncle Johnny or Auntie Maggie who had recently achieved a weight loss of 10kg.

Just to back up my point - the people you pretended to be were the best in the world in those sports not the best Irish people in those sports. A few years later you might have pretended to be Roy Keane, a few years earlier you might have pretended to be Eamon Coughlan, but you didn't pretend to be Ray Houghton or Cormac Finnerty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

RayCun wrote: »
    Just to back up my point - the people you pretended to be were the best in the world in those sports not the best Irish people in those sports. A few years later you might have pretended to be Roy Keane, a few years earlier you might have pretended to be Eamon Coughlan, but you didn't pretend to be Ray Houghton or Cormac Finnerty.

Ah we used to pretend to be many of the Irish team aswell. Packie Bonner, Ray Houghton, Tony Cascarino, though partly because they shared the same names as our auld fellas! :)

As I kid I always got a kick out of watching Irish people in sport. Perhaps I was an exception but even at such a young age I appreciated good (non medal winning) Irish performances. Susan Smith's exploits in Atlanta and Athens was something I appreciated at a young age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

So, having three children is "unnecessary, self inflicted condition ". Some of your posts are downright insulting. You really havn't a clue about obesity. You seem to think that obesity is caused by eating too much and not exercising.

Maybe the Irish Runner ignored his articles for a reason ;)
    I read recently that Obesity levels in the USA are over 3 times the levels in the 60s. Women had children back then too. In fact they had more of them. Much larger families back 40-50 years ago. Why much higher obesity rates now?

Have you ever looked at the price of cheap convenience foods that are filled with fat versus healthy options? There is a huge differential. It's cheaper to buy a calories laden take away than prepare a healthy meal. Obesity levels are definitely higher but there are socioeconomic reasons for this but as usual you ignore these to try and back up your point. Have a look back at the article you read and see if there is a particular proportion of the population who are fatter now than before.

There is also a problem with nutritional education in the general populace. Members of my family and close friends don't have a clue about the nutritional content of foods. This is another reason for increasing levels of obesity.

Back OT. I use to have issues with these type of cover stories but go to any road race now and 90% of the field would be inspired by this story so I can understand why it's on the front page. IMO there isn't the numbers in athletics in Ireland to have a elite/dedicated club orientated running magazine (like AW). Maybe I'm wrong but that's just my perception.

Have you ever looked at the price of cheap convenience foods that are filled with fat versus healthy options? There is a huge differential. It's cheaper to buy a calories laden take away than prepare a healthy meal. Obesity levels are definitely higher but there are socioeconomic reasons for this but as usual you ignore these to try and back up your point. Have a look back at the article you read and see if there is a particular proportion of the population who are fatter now than before.

How many obese people do you know personally who compete in sport and undertake vigourous exercise regularly? Genuine question. Yes there are reasons (like the ones you mentioned) for growing obesity, but IMO if somebody really wanted to be fit and healthy then they would be. It doesn't cost anything to go for a run. Factors such as bad genetics, giving birth, lack of knowledge of nutrician etc would not be a factor if the person actually undertook regular exercise and was motivated to be of average weight. All too often I have heard people give these reasons, and tbh all they are are excuses for them sitting on the couch being lazy, and a validation for them doing no exercise. That's my opinion, take it or leave it. No need for the smart comments.

How many obese people do you know personally who compete in sport and undertake vigourous exercise regularly? Genuine question.

Go onto racepix.com. Select a local road race. Have a look further down the field*. A high proportion of these could be classified as obese. These people may run 4 times a week. Participation in sport does not guarantee weight loss. Running 4 miles will burn about 400-500 calories the equivalent of a magnum ice cream. It's not all black and white. More gains to be made through diet than by exercise.
    That's my opinion, take it or leave it. No need for the smart comments.

As usual I will leave your opinion and bin it. I am a smart person ergo most of my comments are also smart.

*not having a pop at people just being realistic.

As usual I will leave your opinion and bin it. I am a smart person ergo most of my comments are also smart.

[/SIZE]

Take the "r" out of the highlighted word and that would pretty much describe your posts IMO.

Anyway we'll agree to disagree on this. I don't agree with much of what you say anyway.

Take the "r" out of the highlighted word and that would pretty much describe your posts IMO.

oooh that burned.
    I don't agree with much of what you say anyway.

Snap, except replace the highlighted word with all :cool:

• Advertisement

oooh that burned.

Well leaved the snide remarks behind so. Then we can disagree peacefully. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Kids aren't going to be inspired by seeing an elite on the front of the magazine if they have no idea as to who he/she is. By showcasing someone who has achieved personal success through running it may encourage more parents to become participants and they in turn may appreciate the elite level atheletes enough to turn on the telly for the 5,000/10,000 metres. This then gets watched by the whole family and then the kids get to see the great atheletes and will know who Fionnuala Britton et al are.

A little of topic but there is going to be great hype and excitement having the Olympics so close to home. Are athletics clubs / AAI looking to benefit from this exposure?

Just my 2c worth on getting kids into sport.. 1 have a 9yr old boy and 7yr old girly at home- both extremely active- girl does dancing and athletics, boy does soccer/hurling and athletics, I DONT think they follow role models on tv - I have tried to get them to sit down and watch Munster play rugby or Man utd in soccer or even the world athletics champs and they have no interest whatsoever but I have recently started triathlon training- a lot of running and cycling and everytime I go out training they want to come with me, asking what am i doing today/is there a race coming up/ what speed are you doing...etc..etc.. HUGE INTEREST...my point here is that there are NO BETTER role models for our children than ourselves (Parents)..athletes/soccer players/rugby players on tv come and go but we are parents for life and we can decide what paths our children take...we can also have fun doing it- loved nothing better than running last night with my 2 kids trying to beat me on their bikes:)...my 2c worth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

MrCreosote wrote: »
    And as for losing 20kg. I reckon it should be celebrated because the lifestyle changes and sacrifices needed make it a bloody hard thing to do. Certainly harder than running a sub-3 hour marathon for example.
    Cannot agree with that at all. Losing weight is mainly mental effort to stay consistent with the new way you eat - I lost 30 lbs over 1.5 years and found it really easy, but maybe it's just me - I'm used to mental efforts. Saying "no" when there is a cake offered to you at 9pm , etc. ;)

On the other hand, training for, and running even sub-4h marathon was hard :P It required not only mental, but also physical effort and substantial time commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

MrCreosote wrote: »
    As for the magazine- it's called "Irish Runner", not "Irish Professional Athlete"-

Ain't called Irish Jogger either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Trig1 wrote: »
    my point here is that there are NO BETTER role models for our children than ourselves (Parents)..athletes/soccer players/rugby players on tv come and go but we are parents for life and we can decide what paths our children take...we can also have fun doing it- loved nothing better than running last night with my 2 kids trying to beat me on their bikes:)...my 2c worth

Certainly that's what I observe amongst young athletes. Those that I coach invariably have either role model parents or at least parents who are supportive. Conversley, it is rare that a child remains for long without parental support.

As an athlete gets older, say 16-17, then they start to look at those excelling in their particular events and try to emulate them. But talk to a young javelin thrower of Backley or Zelezny and you'll draw a blank.

Conclusion? Youngsters are inspired by their parents, older athletes by the elites. And born-again runners take their inspiration from stories of others that have trodden the same path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Trig1 wrote: »
    HUGE INTEREST...my point here is that there are NO BETTER role models for our children than ourselves (Parents)..

+1 totally agree, when i was growing up done the exact same as your kids. Used to follow my Dad on my bike when he was doing his DCM training. He was my hero and i looked up to him more than any soccer/rugby player of that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

All this debate over Irish Runner??

Only way it could increase interest in athletics amongst young Irish people is if there were topless pictures of Blanka Vlasic in the centre page. Would be thousands of teenage boys arriving at the league final to buy a copy off Frank.

As 'thirtyfoot' said, it falls meekly between 2 sides of top end and casual running and suffers for it.

With the weight loss thing, I'm doing it at the moment. Lost about 25-30 lbs in the last 8 weeks. I'm happy I've done it but I am much more ashamed of the state i got into than proud of the loss. Why is it rude to say 'You have gotten fat' to someone but polite to say 'You have lost loads of weight' when the second comment insinuates the first?

With the weight loss thing, I'm doing it at the moment. Lost about 25-30 lbs in the last 8 weeks. I'm happy I've done it but I am much more ashamed of the state i got into than proud of the loss. Why is it rude to say 'You have gotten fat' to someone but polite to say 'You have lost loads of weight' when the second comment insinuates the first?

Finally some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

If someone bought Fishing Weekly and the cover story was about an angler who lost 4 stone while looking after 3 children under 6, the fishing community would be perplexed.In a sports magazine about running its the norm. The article about Garry OHanlon was class tho, even I will admit that.Another thing is does it ever get proof read before printing the number of typos and contradictory dates was unreal.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    If someone bought Fishing Weekly and the cover story was about an angler who lost 4 stone while looking after 3 children under 6, the fishing community would be perplexed.

If the cover story was about someone who wanted to compete in the Olympics as an angler, perplexed would be an understatement :pac:

(seriously, I haven't made a study of the fishing section of the magazine racks. Are there elite level anglers who regularly do cover stories in which they promise to reveal their training tips? Is it all scantly-clad models posing with a fishing rod? What do fishing magazines put on the cover?)

• Advertisement

Anglers have world and contintal cup competitions. Not all sports are olympic sports. I stand over my analagy. Couldnt read half your post my eyesight is poor,Im an old man.

Anglers have world and contintal cup competitions. Not all sports are olympic sports. I stand over my analagy. Couldnt read half your post my eyesight is poor,Im an old man.

I was wondering what angling magazines put on the cover. The fish that didn't get away? Random celebrities? World champions?

Agreed. Imagine Uncle Johnny who achieved remarkeable weight loss on the cover of a golf magazine rather than Rory McIlroy, or Auntie Mary who recently had a hip replacement as the main feature in a tennis magazine instead of Victoria Azerenko. It simply wouldn't happen. However the fact that we need such stuff to promote our sport illustrates some deeper issues with regards the status of the sport in Ireland and raises questions asking what needs to be done to make the sport appeal more to the general public?

I was wondering what angling magazines put on the cover. The fish that didn't get away? Random celebrities? World champions?
    Jezz I dont know. Who do you think I am? Huckleberry Finn??(??) I was just trying to make a point. Cant even remember what the point was now,like I said,old.

Agreed. Imagine Uncle Johnny who achieved remarkeable weight loss on the cover of a golf magazine rather than Rory McIlroy, or Auntie Mary who recently had a hip replacement as the main feature in a tennis magazine instead of Victoria Azerenko. It simply wouldn't happen. However the fact that we need such stuff to promote our sport illustrates some deeper issues with regards the status of the sport in Ireland and raises questions asking what needs to be done to make the sport appeal more to the general public?

Or illustrates, as people say above, that a large part of the audience for a running magazine in Ireland are casual runners.
    If that audience didn't exist then yeah, the covers and main features would be targetted at the people that follow elite athletics.
    Both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

running is a funny one though as people do it for so many different reasons and one of those reasons is weight loss. People fish to catch fish, play golf to...play golf and get better at golf. Not everyone running wants to become elite or wants to know anything about elite running.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    running is a funny one though as people do it for so many different reasons and one of those reasons is weight loss. People fish to catch fish, play golf to...play golf and get better at golf. Not everyone running wants to become elite or wants to know anything about elite running.

Golf is a huge spectator sport in Ireland too. You'll get a lot of people watching the Irish Open and similar events, or following international events on tv. Because sometimes watching paint dry is just too exciting.

With the weight loss thing, I'm doing it at the moment. Lost about 25-30 lbs in the last 8 weeks.

Out of curiosity, how much of this weight loss in down to diet versus exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

Golf is a huge spectator sport in Ireland too. You'll get a lot of people watching the Irish Open and similar events, or following international events on tv. Because sometimes watching paint dry is just too exciting.
    I would (much) rather watch the Ryder Cup or all four days of any major golf tournament in preference to half a dozen Kenyans or Ethiopians 'battling' it out over a two hour something marathon. Golf has provided some of the most compelling television over my lifetime. In my experience, non-runners cannot understand why anybody would watch even a 10k race. 25 laps where almost nothing happens. Maybe a break-away, maybe a sprint finish in the last lap. Paint drys quicker.

• Advertisement

oldrunner wrote: »
    I would (much) rather watch the Ryder Cup or all four days of any major golf tournament in preference to half a dozen Kenyans or Ethiopians 'battling' it out over a two hour something marathon. Golf has provided some of the most compelling television over my lifetime. In my experience, non-runners cannot understand why anybody would watch even a 10k race. 25 laps where almost nothing happens. Maybe a break-away, maybe a sprint finish in the last lap. Paint drys quicker.

ah yeah but is golf even a sport? ;)

Advertisement