Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not knowing anybody else going to NUIG

• 07-04-2014 8:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey lads I'll be going to NUIG in September hopefully to study Commerce! I have accommodation booked in Corrib and am really excited for September:P
    Only catch is I'll know nobody going to Galway from my school or anything and I've only been to Galway once before :(

Is there anyone going to be in my position / staying in Corrib on here? :)
    How long will it take me to settle in?
    I'd say I'm fairly outgoing and up for the craic but what are the best ways to get to know people fairly fast?

Is Freshers Week awkward for someone in my position? :confused: Sorry for a long winded post but jays I'm fairly nervous like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

You will be absolutely fine. I have been in your position twice in two different cities (Galway and Cork) not knowing a soul and I had the time of my life. Just smile and talk to people. Everyone wants to make friends in college, so if you appear friendly you'll get to know people in no time.

Oh, and If you're staying in Corrib you REALLY don't need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

We get a lot of these threads - so I think that proves you ain't the only one :)

Seriously, making friends is easy once you put in a little effort. So many folks in the same boat as you - either know nobody going to Galway or dislike the people they do know. It's all about just being friendly and not being afraid to say hello and start a conversation.

I knew very few people coming to Galway, and none of my close friends were going to NUIG so I was really worried like you. I'd be fairly shy too so I did think I'd struggle to make friends. However, I met my first friends due to a chance meeting on Boards, and they called up to my apartment the day before orientation. One of the two guys turned out to be in my class, so I automatically had a buddy for the next day at least. Turns out we were well suited to being mates and he's one of my best friends now, 5 years later.

Orientation is good for meeting folks - I met a couple of people that day that were not in my class but we always remembered each other from that day - had we wanted to forge friendships I suspect we could have.

My point is basically don't worry - these things will happen naturally once you put yourself in a position where they can happen - if you coup yourself up in your room or keep to yourself in lectures, you're less likely to make friends.

Have a blast in NUIG :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ConConKing

You would be really surprised how easy it is to meet like minded people in NUIG. For the first month or so make an effort to go to clubs/socs that your interested in and try to talk to the person beside you in a lecture you'll always find a few pretty quickly that you've things in common with. Also living in a place like Corrib there'll be plenty of parties early on where everyone will introduce themselves so there really is no need to worry. These things always work themselves out if you put yourself out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Nah you're screwed :o

I actually went to NUIG and the sunday night before 1st year started I called over to some lads I knew from school who were also staying in Corrib Village. After an hour I said feck this, I wanna meet new people. So the next day, hung around with the lads in my house, got to know the neighbours then had the craic that night. My favourite part of the night was a group of about 80 people randomly shouting out house number parties, like "party in 92!" and everyone would go over. No damage was done or anything, we'd just walk in, wait 5 mins and go to the next house! Epic night.

There'll be loads in your position and everyone will be looking to make friends. Enjoy Galway, easily the best 4 years of my life! Im so jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You're staying in Corrib. Unless you're an absolute recluse you'll make plenty of friends and probably spend most of the year in a drunken haze.

Make sure you go to clubs day and societies day and join ones that interest you, some of the best friends I have made in college was through clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭united2k11

Just start a house party with your new house mates.. Invite neighbours and then you're sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Joining a few societies and clubs would be the quickest way to meet new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

From personal experience going in knowing nobody means you are almost guaranteed to make friends. It's the ones who remain in the same cliques from school who never branch out and make any new friends. I know two girls who chose all the same modules and never made a friend between them because they were stuck together and when one missed a day the other did too. Consider yourself in a positive position!
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

I'll be staying in Corrib too :P I know of a few people who might be going there but that's about it for me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8 India7

Hey ! I will also be staying in corrib and will not know ANYONE as I live the other side of the country, so roll on September ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

Thanks everyone :D
    I feel much better hahaha! I'll definitely utilise Boards more in the run up to September since there's a fair of us in thesame boat :)
    I never really thought of it as a positive thing but the college experience will simply reflect the amount of effort I put on, like anything really!
    First things first I need do the Lc :P

Thanks everyone :D
    I feel much better hahaha! I'll definitely utilise Boards more in the run up to September since there's a fair of us in thesame boat :)
    I never really thought of it as a positive thing but the college experience will simply reflect the amount of effort I put on, like anything really!
    First things first I need do the Lc :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nicole345

Hey! I don't know ANYBODY either ! But I'm looking forward to it ! Should be Fun:)

nicole345 wrote: »
    Hey! I don't know ANYBODY either ! But I'm looking forward to it ! Should be Fun:)

That's a good attitude :D ill see ya there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nicole345

Katie1289 wrote: »
    That's a good attitude :D ill see ya there :)
    Staying in Corrib ?:)

nicole345 wrote: »
    Staying in Corrib ?:)

Yup sure am are you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Have any of yous received any emails from corrib recently? My emails are f**ked! I booked a room for September :P

I got an email saying I had to log into the student portal to finalise my booking a week or two ago :)

Janeh9 wrote: »
    I got an email saying I had to log into the student portal to finalise my booking a week or two ago :)

I just checked mine and found it, Thank you :) Stupid Facebook and twitter emails clogging it up!

I made a seperate account so I wouldn't loose my corrib emails XD

• Advertisement

I've flagged them now and Unsubscribed the e-mails from social media so I should be okay :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It should be no issue that you don't know many(and you will know people either 2nd/3rd year etc) people. University is time to try things new and different and meet loads new people.

I was a first year here in NUIG at 23 this year. Did I know anyone in first year? Yes but only 1 maybe 2 people. Not an issue. Majority of people are in a similar enough boat..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dan1

Yea I got an email had to log into portal and finialise booking. Booked a shared room for September

dan1 wrote: »
    Yea I got an email had to log into portal and finialise booking. Booked a shared room for September

Me too :D Does anyone know when college starts? Or like when's a good time to move in?

Janeh9 wrote: »
    Me too :D Does anyone know when college starts? Or like when's a good time to move in?
    Monday 8th Sept is registration etc.
    Anytime before that will be good time to move in though probably the Thursday/Friday before the 8th is best IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dan1

I was at the open day last month and a lady there not sure who she was but definately someone who knew what they were talking about She told us that first years starts on a Saturday and Sunday just to get to know their way around. Not sure when though. Someone else also told us when you get to see your room take pictures of everything that is broken and report it to reception or you will end up getting a bill for repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I won't know anyone at all either unfortunately. I'm not a big fan of going out either but college is for making new friends anyway so we will hopefully be grand!

dan1 wrote: »
    I was at the open day last month and a lady there not sure who she was but definately someone who knew what they were talking about She told us that first years starts on a Saturday and Sunday just to get to know their way around. Not sure when though. Someone else also told us when you get to see your room take pictures of everything that is broken and report it to reception or you will end up getting a bill for repairs
    There is that weekend which is same time as registration that I referred to.
    I was a first year this year. Started late so missed all that weekend and opening week of term.
    Wanderer41 wrote: »
    I won't know anyone at all either unfortunately. I'm not a big fan of going out either but college is for making new friends anyway so we will hopefully be grand!
    You will know someone or another and if not you will know someone in 2nd/3rd who can help you meet people etc in first few days etc.
    Will not matter if you don't like going out as there's dozens of clubs/societies you can join to meet people

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Raychie

I'll be staying in Corrib too!! I don't know anybody in first year :P Anybody planning to study Science?

• Advertisement
Advertisement