Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mumps

• 27-05-2009 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Hey,

My girlfriend got diagnosed with Mumps yesterday - she had gotten the MMR when she was younger (she is 26yrs old) bus still got it.

I called my doctor at home to see if i had ever had the Mumps or gotten the MMR when i was younger but there is no record of either taking place

I know that me and the Girlfriend cannot touch each other or use the same utensils etc.. but what other precautions should i use?

Also, stupid qst - does my not having the MMR vaccine greatly increase my chances of contacting Mumps from my Girlfriend? as seemingly she would have had it for 10 days or so before the symptoms appeared

Any help or advice would be great.

Cheers,

Jugs82

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I know that me and the Girlfriend cannot touch each other or use the same utensils etc.. but what other precautions should i use?
    To be honest, any kind of close contact is going to risk transmission, from coughs, hugging,sharing any of the same surfaces - too many to name, man. It does sound harsh to advise you to avoid personal contact apart from the telephone at a time when she's sick, but that is the only way to minimise your exposure at this stage.
    If you guys have been in close contact in the past week and you haven't been vaccinated, you may be infected but that's not certain, and hopefully you're not:)
    Also, stupid qst - does my not having the MMR vaccine greatly increase my chances of contacting Mumps from my Girlfriend? as seemingly she would have had it for 10 days or so before the symptoms appeared
    Your chances are greatly increased by not having been vaccinated, if indeed you have not been.
    It would be no harm, certainly, to get vaccinated for future reference, but for this current episode, you will not be immune. If you have been infected in the last week it might be another 1-2.5 weeks before you start noticing any problem. Your girlfriend, if she has just noticed the symptoms, has probably been contagious since about last weekend.

You don't mention your age in your post. I would say if you are 25 - 27+ then there's a good chance you have already been exposed to the virus in your life (just through regular human contact), and hopefully have been naturally immunised without knowing it.
    Any help or advice would be great.
    If you're tending to your sick girlfriend, lots of cold drinks, no fruit juice and try not to cook in her presence - anything that increases saliva production can bring on pain. As for you, sit tight, don't share cups or sneeze spray, and hope!

• I came on here to ask about getting vaccinated and the first thread was about mumps. What are the odds?

Does anyone know how much the vaccine costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I got diagnosed with the mumps today! Lying in bed with a mad swollen face/neck, in a bit of discomfort and feeling a bit tired.

The doctor told me even if you got vaccinated it won't prevent you from getting all strains of mumps - but it gives you about 80% protection.

He also told me I should be isolated - it's really easy to give it to everyone you come in contact with.

Apparently there is a mad outbreak of it in Ireland at the moment.

I'm 31 and this is my first time getting mumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

AARRRGH wrote: »
    The doctor told me even if you got vaccinated it won't prevent you from getting all strains of mumps - but it gives you about 80% protection.
    It's generally about 60% - 75%+ protection after the first immunisation after first vaccination is effective, and after the second vaccination this becomes 95%+ when that vaccination becomes effective (this activation process takes a few weeks for both occasions).
    Does anyone know how much the vaccine costs?
    Free if you're under 21 or a student (to my knowledge)
    I've actually never come across anyone else asking for the vaccine. To be honest if I were at the age of 25+ I don't think I'd personally bother, but I do know there are people out there offering the vaccine at something like €175 for the two injections:eek:
    I'm sure you can get it cheaper. Contact your GP for more info.

I just found out I never got vaccinated. That explains it so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

It's rampant at the moment. I know several adults who've had it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

I also heard verying reports of recovery period. Some seem to recover quickly while others take quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I have it since Friday night. Saw the doctor today and he gave me some tablets. It's hilarious when they ask you are you a student, in other words, have you been going on nights out and scoring lots of girls lately lol I seem to remember a bad outbreak of it in UL last year.

How bad is it for everyone else on here? I haven't eaten since saturday, i'm starving but can't eat because the pain is unbearable after i eat or drink something. I can only drink water after I've taken painkillers because otherwise it would be too painful. Oh and I also look about 150 kilos judging from my face :D

I'm ok, although I have a fairly high threshold for pain.

Felt a bit tired last Monday. Went into work Tuesday feeling very tired, but thought it was nothing, although was a bit concerned about the "faint" feeling I was getting every now and then. Woke up Wednesday morning feeling very tired again so rang in sick. Later that night noticed my glands were sore. Woke up Thursday morning with the right side of my face very swollen, so went to the doctor. He told me to rest for a week (isolated) and there is no medication I can take. Note at this stage I was feeling a bit better - I just had swollen glands. They continued to swell up on Friday. By Saturday the other side of my face swells up. Feel fine though.

Yesterday and today the left side of my face and neck is huge - I look like Schwarzenegger in Total Recal when he falls on the surface of Mars and the armosphere starts making his face bulge.

My appetite is beginning to return which is great, and I feel ok (no more faintness) but I look like a weirdo. There is some pain during/after I eat, but I can handle that.

Reckon I've a few days of this left before I'm better. Might make it back into work on Thursday or Friday, but I'll update before then. :)

Advertisement