Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW e46 belt thrown (Aircon?)

Options
  • 31-08-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

2004 320d - air con stopped working today, once I got home i checked it out and it looks like a belt has been thrown and the pulley is wobbling quite a lot. It's the big pulley at the bottom. Does anything else run off this? (On checking diagrams, I think it's the crankshaft pulley, which does run everything!)

Is it safe to drive like this for a few days till I see about getting sorted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Definitely not, i would not even start the engine to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

I thought the one belt runs everything including the water pump

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Prenderb wrote: »
    Hi guys,

2004 320d - air con stopped working today, once I got home i checked it out and it looks like a belt has been thrown and the pulley is wobbling quite a lot. It's the big pulley at the bottom. Does anything else run off this? (On checking diagrams, I think it's the crankshaft pulley, which does run everything!)

Is it safe to drive like this for a few days till I see about getting sorted?

Serpentine belt afaik, check for oil leaks around the place. Your lucky it didn't break as it could have caused problems elsewhere.

ae31c6c.jpg

Tensioner is next to the Crankshaft pulley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Yeah, looking at getting it recovered. Is it worth paying around 100 extra for main dealer parts/work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Prenderb wrote: »
    Yeah, looking at getting it recovered. Is it worth paying around 100 extra for main dealer parts/work?

I don't think I would bother on a 10 year old car, just bring it to a good indy, also make sure they investigate why it slipped off.

BMW will charge you crazy money.

You were very lucky though ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

I don't think I would bother on a 10 year old car, just bring it to a good indy, also make sure they investigate why it slipped off.

BMW will charge you crazy money.

You were very lucky though ! :)

It's the crank shaft pully very common problem do them weekly at this stage there not cheap either but for any one that knows the engines it's a very straight forward job

Advertisement