Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bsc Computing

• 12-06-2014 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey guys, I've been thinking about going to NCI, the computing course there looks interesting. I was wondering for those students who attend the university. What is it like? Is it more social than other universities? What kind of facilities are there? What's the course like? Is it a big college? Are the any groups to join or clubs to be a part of?

I'm currently doing my leaving cert, I'm a skipper so I'm only 17 going into college, I feel so young. I just have 2 exams left. Economics and Japanese, which I really need to do well in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

What's the course like?
    Hey there! I'm studying the same course, computing. I'm heading into 2nd year in September and the course itself is very good and practical in the first semester of first year. However there is some theory to be learnt in the 2nd semester but if you put the effort in the CAs you should be easily walking into your exams with at least 40% in the bag. You will be expected to be learning programming with java, web design, multimedia and some theory modules. They will start from the beginning with programming so don't worry if you are not familiar with it.
    What is it like? Is it more social than other universities?

The college itself is small enough and has over 5,000 students which includes full and part time students. It is very social and our student union punches above its weight to deliver the best night out events as possible. This year we had our very first foreign mystery tour in Brussels for 2-3 days, Moxegen in Galway for RAG week, and many many other events to choose from.
    What kind of facilities are there?

There is 4 floors for each school; computing (3rd floor), business (2nd floor) and 1st floor is used for mix of everything while the 4th floor is for staff offices. You get a gym membership for a discounted fee of €80 which everyone has to pay and it is located just at the back of the college. It is a private owned business so it's not owned by the college.
    Are the any groups to join or clubs to be a part of?

The clubs and societies are increasily growing and in September we will have a bigger budget to play with hopefully. There is many popular clubs and socs such as Football, Pool, GAA, Gaming Soc, Pokemon Soc, Fashion Soc, DJ Soc (new Society) to name just a few.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and good luck in your Economics and Japanese exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BlazingBladeDA

Thanks so much, from reading your post it seems very exciting, I think I might put it forward and aim to go there in September. Thanks again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Thanks so much, from reading your post it seems very exciting, I think I might put it forward and aim to go there in September. Thanks again :D

I did the course a few years ago and I've been working in the IT industry since I graduated. Be aware that the course is not very well respected in the real world and you will find that when you're working alongside computer science graduates from the likes of DCU or Kevin Street that the level of knowledge they have is far superior (I graduated with a first class honour from NCI) so be prepared to keep studying at night after you graduate from the NCI as you will have a lot of catching up to do on your colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

I wouldn't if I was you, For loads of reasons but op reason tops all of mine about it not being as respected as others but yeah aim for a uni or dit anyday career wise..

I wont get into the other stuff, put it this way i wish i was you to be able to avoid nci.. You'll remember me if your ever sitting in the empty overpriced rubbish beer lagoona pub and thinking how **** it really is.. DCU and DIT is where the good social scene is and maybe a better degree

If only i could tell my younger self that

Advertisement