Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psychology in NUIG

• 20-01-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭

Hello all,i really want to do psychology either in NUIG or maybe UCD but problem is points are very high (525 in NUIG) and i dont think thats really in my range :( so i was wondering about arts...if i choose psychology through arts what are my options after that?can i go on to do another degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

A quick search of this forum would have answered these questions.

But here it goes again:

If you choose Psychology in first year, along with three other subjects, you must pass all four subjects the first time around (no repeating) to be eligible to take that subject on into second year.

In second year, Psychology is divided into two streams. One is denominated Psychology, where about 15 places are allocated for those whose results are particularly good in first year. If you are one of these people, Psychology will be the only subject you continue with for your degree. That degree is accredited by the PSI.

The second stream is Psychological Studies. There are about 100 places available here. Again allocated on the basis of the 100 best results. If you get this option, you take Psychological Studies along with another subject for your degree.

Because you do another subject along with Psych Studies, you don't get all of the Psychology content of option 1 above. As a result, a Psych Studies degree isn't accredited by the PSI, so if you want to progress with psychology in Postgrad, you'll need to do the H.Dip Conversion course in Psychology (or equivalent) to make up the 'missed' content.

Just as an aside, that's about 115 people who progress into second year Psych/Psych studies. I started this course in 2009 (I'm in final year Psych Studies now) and there were about 700 people taking Psychology in first year. Now, not all of those will have wanted to take Psych in second year, but do bear in mind that it is competitive, though very doable if you keep the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lavo_x

Does anyone know what kind of grades are needed to do psychological studies in second year??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grinchy88

Lavo_x wrote: »
    Does anyone know what kind of grades are needed to do psychological studies in second year??

I know everyone hates hearing this, but it all depends on the year. The top 100 students in Psychology get offered the place so its quite hard to say what grade you need. I think someone did mention that if you in the region of 60 you should be good. Worth noting that ALOT of people did not like Psychology as they had expected something else and theres chances that some who are offered the place do not want it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I got offered psychology for second year and I believe my average was in the 60's. Initially I had every intention of doing it in second year but I absolutely hated it! A lot of people were the same as me; started out really wanting to pursue it but then couldn't give it up quick enough once second year arrived. If you have an interest in it and apply yourself you will definitely get in the top 100 for second year. I have no idea how I was offered a place as I was convinced I had failed my second semester exam. Exams for summer and Christmas are mcq so that's pretty handy if you know your stuff.

Grinchy88 wrote: »
    I know everyone hates hearing this, but it all depends on the year. The top 100 students in Psychology get offered the place so its quite hard to say what grade you need. I think someone did mention that if you in the region of 60 you should be good. Worth noting that ALOT of people did not like Psychology as they had expected something else and theres chances that some who are offered the place do not want it anyway.

I've passed all my psychology modules, with an average of 59% so I have everything crossed that I get offered a place. The second semester exam was quite tough so I'm hoping that might bring the grades down slightly. Also I spoke to a few people who took psychology on out of interest etc and hated it by the end.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    I got offered psychology for second year and I believe my average was in the 60's. Initially I had every intention of doing it in second year but I absolutely hated it! A lot of people were the same as me; started out really wanting to pursue it but then couldn't give it up quick enough once second year arrived. If you have an interest in it and apply yourself you will definitely get in the top 100 for second year. I have no idea how I was offered a place as I was convinced I had failed my second semester exam. Exams for summer and Christmas are mcq so that's pretty handy if you know your stuff.

I've passed all my psychology modules, with an average of 59% so I have everything crossed that I get offered a place. The second semester exam was quite tough so I'm hoping that might bring the grades down slightly. Also I spoke to a few people who took psychology on out of interest etc and hated it by the end.

I would say you will get offered a place. Many people (myself included) just put yourself forward for a place to see will you get offered it and then decline it. So even if you don't get offered it on the first round you may get offered it once people have declined the offer. My friend had an average of 53% and she got offered it and accepted.

anna080 wrote: »
    I would say you will get offered a place. Many people (myself included) just put yourself forward for a place to see will you get offered it and then decline it. So even if you don't get offered it on the first round you may get offered it once people have declined the offer. My friend had an average of 53% and she got offered it and accepted.

I'm just dying to find out, at least I know if I don't get it in the first round I may get it second round! Do they notify us by post or how?

I'm just dying to find out, at least I know if I don't get it in the first round I may get it second round! Do they notify us by post or how?

Yea you get a letter in the post. If I remember correctly it's around mid-end of July. Now that you have your results they have to sort them in order of highest to lowest and all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

Keep in mind you have to pass every exam (for all four subjects) in your first sitting to get into psychology, eg. if you fail a french exam at christmas for example you can't get into second year psychology regardless of your psychology results.. (this brings down the numbers significantly)

• Advertisement
Advertisement