Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is gay marriage a threat to humanity?

• 10-01-2012 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This Former Nazi, Joe Ratzinger seems to think so...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/09/us-pope-gay-idUSTRE8081RM20120109
    (Reuters) - Pope Benedict said Monday that gay marriage was one of several threats to the traditional family that undermined "the future of humanity itself."

The pope made some of his strongest comments against gay marriage in a new year address to the diplomatic corps accredited to the Vatican in which he touched on some economic and social issues facing the world today.

He told diplomats from nearly 180 countries that the education of children needed proper "settings" and that "pride of place goes to the family, based on the marriage of a man and a woman."

"This is not a simple social convention, but rather the fundamental cell of every society. Consequently, policies which undermine the family threaten human dignity and the future of humanity itself," he said.

The Vatican and Catholic officials around the world have protested against moves to legalize gay marriage in Europe and other developed parts of the world.

One leading opponent of gay marriage in the United States is New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan, whom the pope will elevate to cardinal next month.

Dolan fought against gay marriage before it became legal in New York state last June, and in September he sent a letter to President Barack Obama criticizing his administration's decision not to support a federal ban on gay marriage.

In that letter Dolan, who holds the powerful post of president of the U.S. Bishops Conference, said such a policy could "precipitate a national conflict between church and state of enormous proportions."

The Roman Catholic Church, which has some 1.3 billion members worldwide, teaches that while homosexual tendencies are not sinful, homosexual acts are, and that children should grow up in a traditional family with a mother and a father.

"The family unit is fundamental for the educational process and for the development both of individuals and states; hence there is a need for policies which promote the family and aid social cohesion and dialogue," Benedict told the diplomats.

Gay marriage is legal in a number of European countries, including Spain and the Netherlands.

Some Churches that have allowed gay marriage, women priests, gay clergy and gay bishops have been losing members to Catholicism, and the Vatican has taken steps to facilitate their conversion.

In 2009, Benedict decreed that Anglicans who leave their Church, many because they feel it has become too liberal, can find a home in Catholicism in a parallel hierarchy that allows them to keep some of their traditions.

The Vatican has since set up "ordinariates," structures similar to dioceses, in Britain and the United States to oversee ex-Anglicans who have converted and be a point of contact for those wishing to do so.

(Reporting By Philip Pullella; editing by Tim Pearce)

What say boardsies?

Is Gay Marriage a threat to humanity itself? 581 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    15% 90 votes
    Atari Excommunicated Jaguar
    84% 491 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Idiots like Ratzinger are a bigger thread to humanity, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Obviously. Because 'the gays' would definitely be reproducing if they weren't allowed to marry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

efb wrote: »
    Former Nazi,

Ridiculous

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

brummytom wrote: »
    Obviously. Because 'the gays' would definitely be reproducing if they weren't allowed to marry...

This gay reproduced and it really bloody hurt a lot so she is not doing that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

What did you expect him to say?

They really believe this stuff. You'll always have nutters in life. The only outrageous thing about Ratzinger and the Princes of Catholicism is that they have so many followers.

Humanity isn't doomed because of gay marriage. I'm far more worried about humanity's fate in light of Ratzinger and the Roman Catholic church's cruelly immortal popularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Does anyone care what the church think about anything anymore. An irrelevant organisation to anyone living in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ridiculous

is he still a nazi?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Over seven billion people on the planet. I'd say that we could do with a few more gay couples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

so thats why 'priests' in the catholic cult cant marry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

If people love each other they should be allowed to marry. Regardless of gender. Marriage is not a Catholic institution, it is a state institution (secular marriage in a registry office) as well as an institution in other religious faiths.

For someone who has never had sex he seems to be running his mouth when he has not got a clue about what he is talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

Once again Religion shows its worth.

SomeFool wrote: »
    Does anyone care what the church think about anything anymore. An irrelevant organisation to anyone living in the real world.

unfortunately a lot do, mostly the poor, strangely, giving all their money to keep princes in their gold palaces while their families starve, and like Hotel California, you can never leave...

Yup - he tried to leave via www.kountmeoutofzenaziparty.com but before he could send the form off didn't the sneaky feckers change the rules so now all he can do is have his interest in leaving noted in a wee book they keep next to the membership folio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Forcing a young teenage boy to join Hitler Youth does not make someone a Nazi

Well unless you were expecting him to pick up a gun and join the resistance or skip the border to Switzerland

He was young, it's not something you can use decades later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

unfortunately a lot do, mostly the poor, strangely, giving all their money to keep princes in their gold palaces while their families starve, and like Hotel California, you can never leave...

I know you're right, I just find it annoying & sad that there are people who are willing to have their opinions dictated to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The bigger cause for concern is that people still give a **** about what Auld Popey has to say. Personally, I'd pay more attention to the wino in my town that incessantly rants about council spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

only a total gobsh*te would think it is..

Well unless you were expecting him to pick up a gun and join the resistance or skip the border to Switzerland

but sure even the then pope wouldn't condemn the Nazi's how was wee joe to know...

Imagine being conscripted to something against your will when you were young and not be allowed to leave... evil Nazis...

Funny that as according to the rules of the organisation of which Herr Ratzinger is the head honcho pouring water over a baby's head makes them a life long Catholic even if they skip across the border to atheism...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

RichieC wrote: »
    only a total gobsh*te would think it is..

And let's be honest, there's a fair few of them about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I love this guy, makes Catholicism even funnier

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Interesting that a couple of days ago he was asking for tolerance for Catholics...but he doesn't want to show any for others.

The Holy See can't see the hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

The Holy See can't see the hypocrisy.

Shoit.. I've been saying Holy sea all these years.. what an idiot :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

It sounds the same, so no one will notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

In fairness to Joe, he is an academically bright man. Apparently he is a voracious reader and a total mad wan for the philosophy.

How then, can he not be capable of spelling out his views in logical format? I just don't get it. I've read some of his musings on homosexuality and society and nowhere does he ever give a coherent or logical explanation of how exactly homosexuality can cause a breakdown in society.

Does anyone know what the actual reasoning is here? I can't make it out.

The only possible explanation to his thought process that I can perceive is that homosexuality challenges the very exclusivity of the traditional marriage as the only correct way of life. A sort of "well if we can break that rule, we can break any rule".

In which case, surely divorce and television are greater threats to humanity than two guys flipping a coin over who takes it up the arse.

I really would be interested to know his reasoning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

What a grade A gobshite.

later10 wrote: »

In which case, surely divorce and television are greater threats to humanity than two guys flipping a coin over who takes it up the arse.

Its not a coin we toss dude...

Well I used think it was Holy C as in "Catholic"- kinda like Special K...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Well I used think it was Holy C as in "Catholic"- kinda like Special K...

:pac:

I've never seen a coherent discussion/reason for homosexuality being a sin, 'because the bible tells us so' is about good as it gets.

Homosexuality a threat to humanity?!
    Misinterpreting the word humanity much....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

That just plain stupidity. The population is at 7 billion. Between the us and the 1.5 billion cattle on the planet farting we are destroying the planet. We all need to stop farting or slow down our species reproduction rates.

Advertisement