Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What age did you stop growing?

Options
  • 09-10-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

No, not down there.

I'm 18 next month and I'm 5"10' and a half. Basically I'm wondering what age did yous stop growing? Will I break 6 foot? Could I be taller than that? I heard of people growning huge amount , like 5 or 6 inches, between the ages of 17 and 21. So I'm just wondering what height could I end up?
    Would 6"2' be completely out of the question? My Dad's 6"1 and a half and I always wanted to be taller than him.

I heard different things. I heard 21,19,18 and I even heard that you know you've stopped growing when your beard grows at its fastest.
    Cheers

edit: also, will my hands, feet etc keep growing too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Still havent stopped. Stopped growing upwards at 18 or so, its all been sideways since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Doubt you'll get much taller buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I say I was 12 or 13. I am girl mind. If not might have been 10 or 11. So explains my petiteness. I'm 26 now. Roughly 4"10-5"1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I think the updated average age for males is 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I stopped at around 20-21. I was 5"10' at about 16 and it took about another 4 years to get next 2 inches. I starting filling out at 14 and my shoulders kept getting wider till about 22 though.

My younger brother stopped at about 18 and he is 5"9'-5"10'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Medics use a calculation to work out genetic potential

( your dads height + you mams height + 12.5cm)/2

although its a pretty rough estimate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Think I was about 18 when I stopped growing in terms of height.
    Hit 6"2 around then.

Kept growing in my shoulders and chest till about 21, after that it was from exercise and working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

finty wrote: »
    Medics use a calculation to work out genetic potential

( your dads height + you mams height + 12.5cm)/2

although its a pretty rough estimate

Yeah I heard Dad's height +( Mam's height + 6 inches) /2
    My Da's 6ft1 and Ma would be 6ft 1 with the extra bit added on......So here's hoping for 6ft1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I had my growth spurt very early, by 4th class in primary school I was already the same height or even taller than some adults. Looked like a huge manchild in class. Hit the 6'1 in the mid teens and then after that I just stopped growing taller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 blackie4

Try this site: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=536180 for info on growing. There's a number of different factors including height of parents, diet, etc., but I think males can keep growing until 20-22 although it's probably at a slower rate at that point.
    BOHtox wrote: »
    No, not down there.

I'm 18 next month and I'm 5"10' and a half. Basically I'm wondering what age did yous stop growing? Will I break 6 foot? Could I be taller than that? I heard of people growning huge amount , like 5 or 6 inches, between the ages of 17 and 21. So I'm just wondering what height could I end up?
    Would 6"2' be completely out of the question? My Dad's 6"1 and a half and I always wanted to be taller than him.

I heard different things. I heard 21,19,18 and I even heard that you know you've stopped growing when your beard grows at its fastest.
    Cheers

edit: also, will my hands, feet etc keep growing too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Think finished completely at 16. i was one of the bigger kids, then I just stopped and everyone passed me out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I am 6ft 1ins 1/2(if you want be really precise) but felt I could have been maybe least inch or two more, but happy with height all same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think 18 for me height wise anyway. I remember going through a massive growth spurt around 16/17. The pains I used to get in my legs.
    I suppose you kind of fill out the for a few years.

I presume Calcium would be a decent bet. If I drink loads of that I presume it would have some effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I hit 6ft 1 at 15 and have not grown since. I'm 25 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I hit 6"1 when I was 14 :eek: and that was the end of it height wise. I didn't fill out until I was 18-19 or so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Another girl here. I stopped growing at around 14 or so. I'm 5 foot 2 inches. Taller than my mam though! She's only 5 foot. My dad is 6 foot. I always wondered why I ended up so short. :confused:
    Guys grow for ages after girls stop. It's not fair! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

If you're lucky (or unlucky, depending on how tall you'd like to be!), you've got a couple more years to go. Impossible to say for sure though, it varies from person to person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Im 5'9". I stopped around 14 or 15 i think. Interestingly it was around the time i started smoking :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

16-17, 6ft, 23 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

6 ft 2, stopped when when i was about 14. Would have liked to have gotten to 6 5 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I've been a shade under 6 ft 1 in my bare-ahs since 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Probably about 14 when I hit 5'7/5'8''ish (I haven't bothered measuring myself in years, I know I'm not tall).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Probably hit 6 foot 6" somewhere between 17 and 20. Vague, but who measures their height every year? :pac:

the_syco wrote: »
    Probably hit 6 foot 6" somewhere between 17 and 20. Vague, but who measures their height every year? :pac:

Hey I do it at least once a week:cool:.

I grew around 3/4 of an inch in the last year. AFAIK you grow very slowly except for when you have a spurt. I'd take 3/4 of an inch every year until I was 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I stopped growing when I was 14 but I'm a girl, I'm 5 ft 6, used to be tall for girls my age, now I seem small, is 24 too late to get a growth spurt I wonder!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Stoped at about 21. Was only about 4'10-11 foot up untill the age of 16, peadiatrition said I would keep growing to about 20-21 as had the bone structure of someone a year or two younger. Made it to about 5'7.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I stopped early as well topping out around age 14 at 6"0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I think I got to 6' 1" at 16, after that it was all filling out for a few years. Sadly it's all been heading south like a slow mudslide since :(

Anyway, nobody sweat the height, Messi needed growth hormone treatment to get him to 5' 7". It doesn't seem to have held him back so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I think I got to 6' 1" at 16, after that it was all filling out for a few years. Sadly it's all been heading south like a slow mudslide since :(

Anyway, nobody sweat the height, Messi needed growth hormone treatment to get him to 5' 7". It doesn't seem to have held him back so far :)

You're shrinking?!?

Advertisement