Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Hands' - RTE series, some woodwork episodes.

• 14-10-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

I'm sure by now you've all seen the series, thankfully RTE dont tend to over play it, in fact its been a long time now since I seen it on!

For those of you that havnt seen it it was a series of documentaries featuring craftsmens around the country in the late 70's to early 80's. All manner of crafts from hurl makers to rush work and butter making to stone masons. Unfortunately the films were made at a pivotal point when a lot of these skills were dying out and the lifetime of skills dying off with many of the old chaps featured in the documentaries, skills that would have been of little use to a generation growing up in Ireland in the 80's! :(

Watching some of these ol' boys at work will make the hair on your arm rise, magnificent to see the old techniques and methods in basic and what we'd consider now as 'sub standard' work shops. Pay particular attention to the episode on hurl making, those are some scary rip saws!!! Watching these I cant help thinking am I paying far too much attention and time on trying to achieve the 'perfect' workshop rather than sticking to basics and learning the skill!!

Enjoy!

Hurl makers - Kilkenny

Part 2
    Part 3

Curragh makers

Part 2
    Part 3

Shannon One Design - boat builder, Roscommon

Part 2
    Part 3

Horse drawn carraige makers -Wexford

Part 2
    Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

SWEET

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Great stuff CroppyBoy,
    There was also an episode on three brothers from Belturbet , they were fantastic cabinetmakers.Have you seen that one?
    F

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks for posting these, love that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

The finest kind Croppy, well done.

"Watching these I cant help thinking am I paying far too much attention and time on trying to achieve the 'perfect' workshop rather than sticking to basics and learning the skill!!" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Love it....particular liked the way the young guy cut the broken hurl and the replacement piece on the ban saw at the same time insuring they matched perfect.....will use this sometime myself....any more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 RPJG

Thanks for posting, could watch these all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Oh good lord I loved this series,I especially loved the episode where two mastercraftsmen built a dining table and chairs, fantastic talent and skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

dubtom wrote: »
    Oh good lord I loved this series,I especially loved the episode where two mastercraftsmen built a dining table and chairs, fantastic talent and skill.

I remember that one particularly well; no fancy marking out or special tools and the low relief carving on the chairs was executed so quickly it looked effortless. Real masters of their craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Ta for them Croppy,never come across them before ,me being a blow in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ice cubed

I remember it vaguely when I grew up but have seen repeats over the years, does anyone know if its available on DVD? would love to have a copy of the collection.

Found the thread on here from 2008about the dvd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement