Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

• 17-05-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Well lately ive been talking repairs a lot and it seems to come up regularly enough, so why dont we dedicate a thread to it?

can be to ask questions, show repairs or just to give advice or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Good idea. I don't know why this doesn't already exist.

Might also be good to write up a list of easily fixed common issues Ie - Nes 72 pin connector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i have 4 or 5 consoles still to repair so ill be posting about them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Excellent. Me first :D

Jap Sega Megadrive. Took it down from the attic there and ...

Red Led lights up. Screen goes black. And thats it. Nothing more than a black screen. Tried it with the RF cable and the scart cable. Same result.

The game works fine on the other Jap Megadrive.

Cheers,
    Brian.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Nice idea. Lets see how it goes and I may make a new sticky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

• Advertisement

got 2 dreamcasts as non working, one didnt read disks and the other one "black screened" when turned on. when i got it, wasnt black screening but freezing on the dreamcast logo

so i tried swapping the gdrom drives, now the non reader was logo freezingand the black screener was booting!!

so i took the board from the dvd drive of the non reader and the lens/assembly from the non booter and put these together and into one of the dreamcasts and low and behold my copy of crazy taxi booted up no bother, well delighted.

going to try somthing drastic with that snes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Sega Nomad, Irish Plug used on it so the board was fried.

Master of the Universe

Sega Nomad, Irish Plug used on it so the board was fried.

An Irish plug will not fry a Sega Nomad. It's the same output. I use one on mine all the time.

If will fry the Nomad if you use an American plug in an Irish socket without a step down transformer.

NES, didnt work so i replaced the 72pin, now works perfectly and i got the cart bay going up and down again too!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Nice work!

now to decide wether to keep it or not :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Fred83 were did your post go! That was exactly what this thread is about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

o1s1n wrote: »
    An Irish plug will not fry a Sega Nomad. It's the same output. I use one on mine all the time.

If will fry the Nomad if you use an American plug in an Irish socket without a step down transformer.

My mistake, I bought it damaged,I have two, one works fine, this one was bought for parts,I emailed a UK import/retro store and was quoted £75 for repairs. I wouldn't like to post it to them though it would be too fragile.

Master of the Universe

Wow, that's expensive alright. You'd buy a working one for that.

Probably best just to keep as replacements parts for your other one.

well, just gave the snes a bath , including the board which is looking shiny, let yis know in a week wether its even deader or not.

kinda tempted to plug it in today, its been sitting in the sun for about an hour. think monday or tuesday should be time enough

Master of the Universe

Please record this.

:pac:

hahaha, decided against it in the end as the sun drew out some moisture from under the chips, wouldve been bad.

so i turned on that snes, it didnt burn the house down thankfully :pac:

its still the very same though :( im giving up on it now

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

aw :(

So what else have you tried with it so far? Did you clean the cart slot with rubbing alcahol? You should try the credit card & sock trick. I've heard it works really really well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Does anyone have a Gamecube memory card they want to trade?

So what else have you tried with it so far? Did you clean the cart slot with rubbing alcahol? You should try the credit card & sock trick. I've heard it works really really well.
    tried it, then attacked the slot with a toothbrush,the glitches do seem to have improved though.
    Augmerson wrote: »

wrong thread, i do have one though SOMEWHERE, give you a shout if i come accross it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

weeder wrote: »
    tried it, then attacked the slot with a toothbrush,the glitches do seem to have improved though.

wrong thread, i do have one though SOMEWHERE, give you a shout if i come accross it

Ah, that's really embaressing haha, thanks wedder

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Augmerson wrote: »
    might have a spare knocking about , I'll wont be able to check til wednesday or thursday though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Whats up with the SNES? Is it graphical glitches? If so mmmmonkey has a decent guide on something you could try - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/snes-glitches.htm

*Meant to quote Weeder

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Hi, I have a NES, when I plug it in and press the power button nothing happens. I've tried replacing the plug (with one that I know works for sure) but still no use.

I came across this:
    http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=256
    but I don't think that's the problem considering the power button won't even light up.

Anyone got any suggestions or is it a complete goner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

bambera wrote: »
    Hi, I have a NES, when I plug it in and press the power button nothing happens. I've tried replacing the plug (with one that I know works for sure) but still no use.

I came across this:
    http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=256
    but I don't think that's the problem considering the power button won't even light up.

Anyone got any suggestions or is it a complete goner?
    Sounds like a dodgy power supply, happens most the nes power supplies
    test if there is voltage coming from the power supply with a multimeter.
    If not the DC part of the cable is usually at fault with either a dry solder joint or the cable broken inside the covering close to the PSU end(i've some photos if you don't get me)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hey guys help needed,

Bought a NES off Ebay with cables, controller and Bubble Bobble.

58 euro including delivery, not sure if thats a good deal or not considering the below.

When i plug in, Turn on, light flashes red. Now on screen i have managed to tune in the tv to where I Think its the nes. the screen flashes on and off black and white.

How bad is this, should i open up a dispute and get my money back??

Its in decent condition, it could do with a quick clean but its not bad at all. the carts stay down when you put them in too.

Any advice is appreciated. I have yet to leave feedback on it i only got it yesterday and am a bit unsure about what way to proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

keithgeo wrote: »
    Hey guys help needed,

Bought a NES off Ebay with cables, controller and Bubble Bobble.

58 euro including delivery, not sure if thats a good deal or not considering the below.

When i plug in, Turn on, light flashes red. Now on screen i have managed to tune in the tv to where I Think its the nes. the screen flashes on and off black and white.

How bad is this, should i open up a dispute and get my money back??

Its in decent condition, it could do with a quick clean but its not bad at all. the carts stay down when you put them in too.

Any advice is appreciated. I have yet to leave feedback on it i only got it yesterday and am a bit unsure about what way to proceed.

Try cleaning the cartridge.

Advertisement