Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Castaheany Gas Explosion ? Any info ?

• 01-09-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭

Just heard from a friend in Dromheath that there was an evacuation this morning in Latchford ? Anybody live in the immediate area ? Any more info on it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Heard about in on the radio this morning, it was a block of flats and appears to be an gas issue, no one hurt. Not sure what the damage was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It wasn't gas, Bord Gais confirmed that there were no leaks, the last I heard it there were a number of cans removed by Gardai forensics which had apparently been in the hot press. It's a terraced row of houses with apartments on the lower levels and two story homes above. The apartment was destroyed and the house above is out of action for the next few months is the latest I've heard.

Also the two (apartment & house above) were pretty knackered.

It was the mercy of God no one was hurt as the family in the apartment were away, there are constantly young kids playing on the steps outside the apartment and if they had been on the steps they'd have been lucky to get away with being seriously injured.

I lived in the house above, I'd happily give a full scale account but at this stage I'm knackered after yesterday and heads not with it- short story woke up at about 3:15 with a massive noise outside and went down stairs to investigate (I assumed something big fell down) stuck my head in the kitchen (middle floor window) and greeted with a wall of flames instead of a window.

The only injuries I am aware of are mine and one of the guys I live with, got a little glass in our feet, basically ran out the door and could only get half down the stairs, so jumped over the fence and landed on some glass.

The "apartment" photo is the window everything came out off which would have been the bedroom in the apartment, note how not just he glass but frame was blasted out. the whole car park was covered in glass and parts of the frame itself traveled I'm guess up to 15 feet.
    If any of my neighbours are reading this, thanks for the offers of a sofa to kip on, mugs of tea and cothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Sweet Jesus gillo, sounds like you guys were very lucky to escape with minor injuries. Hope everything works out for you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Thanks Dodzy. Yeah it's a crap situation but could have been worse. Everything's up in the air at the moment but I know the three of us in my house have temporary accommodation, no idea about the apartment below as I haven't spoke to them.

Just noticed one for the mod's the location in the title is incorrect it should be Castaheany / Ongar, Mulhuddart is the far side of Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Gillo wrote: »
    Thanks Dodzy. Yeah it's a crap situation but could have been worse. Everything's up in the air at the moment but I know the three of us in my house have temporary accommodation, no idea about the apartment below as I haven't spoke to them.

Just noticed one for the mod's the location in the title is incorrect it should be Castaheany / Ongar, Mulhuddart is the far side of Dublin 15.
    Yeah, my bad. Must have had a brain-fart. I've been in Latchford before. Castlecurragh was in my head for some reason. Happy to hear you at least have a roof arranged. Hope you didn't have to part with too many possessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Thats terrible. Sounds like it could have been a real tragedy.
    Hopefully they'll get the place repaired quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

OMG, Gillo..glad to see you and your mates escaped relatively unscathed. I hope you have suitable alternative accommodation that you can avail of for the next while.

Reading your post and seeing the pictures sent shivers down my spine as I also live in a 2 storey duplex above an apartment. One fear that sometimes crosses my mind is a fire underneath... I never even thought about other such potential hazards like what happened here. It would be interesting to hear the exact cause of this particular incident when the results have been released.

Advertisement