Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd say ask 3750, take €3500 if lucky. I can't see it being worth as much as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd say ask 3750, take €3500 if lucky. I can't see it being worth as much as you think.
    Thanks for your input Colm, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Friend of mine has the same car and is asking 4250, lots of calls but no buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's a glut of them at just above 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Hi,
    I have a '03 Megane hatchback which I'm putting up for sale. I see on carzone/donedeal etc that there are a glut of them on there ranging in price from 2700 down to 1000 depending on mileage, seller private or dealer etc. I'm expecting it to take a while to shift, but I want to maximise the amount I get for it as I have had a hell of a lot of work done to it over the past few months. There are still a couple of issues with it (2 window regs) but it sailed through the NCT yesterday.

1.4 Petrol Megane II Dynamique with 149,500 miles on the clock.
    5 door hatchback
    Front/rear fogs
    Electric windows front/rear / pano. sunroof
    Air Con.
    Isofix seats
    Couple of small scrapes on bodywork and one small dent on front bumper.

Fully serviced at 145k including new timing belt/water pump/fan belt.
    New clutch at 143k
    Jan 2014 - brakes/tie rods/new exhaust & hangers/2 x ball joints/alternator pulley
    Re-conditioned key card last week.
    New tyres x 4 & tracking done.
    New boot catch switch.
    New ball joint front left as of this week and CV Boot re-fixed.

NCT until June 2015.

Notes:
    Front passenger window reg not working - not an NCT fail.
    Rear Drivers side window reg not working - not an NCT fail
    Sunroof wiring needs looking at.

Am I mad to think the big mechanics that I've had done should cpoount for something? What would you ask for it? E2000 with a willingness to listen to offers?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Start rant/

AARRRGGGGHHHH I HATE SELLING A CAR IN IRELAND!!!

It is so frustrating.

Had a car to sell ... 1 years NCT, 16 years old.... stuck it up for 800... would have let it go for 600 if someone sound turned up. basically giving the thing away, because I didn't think it deserved scraping.

god. Offers of 1-200, a lad telling me a car I'd owned for 16 years had "Defo bin crashed, had da front end wrecked"

Told me he knew because the panels were all slightly different colours. You find me a piece of silver metal and a piece of silver plastic, that have been outside for 16 years and see if there are any the same colour.

"Ah it wants a new clutch that'll be 2 grand at least" honestly where do people get this stuff from?

this is a car at the absolute bottom of the market. Literally the bottom, and I had a fella ask me if I would stand over it for 6 months!!

Here's a tip for buying a car. If you are spending less than a grand in a private sale you are at the bottom of the market! don't expect a brand new car witha warranty!

A fella asked me to put tyres on it!!!!!!

I'm as picky as the next man when buying a used car, but you have to make allowances for what you are spending.

Rant over/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cars in this price range will always attract idiots who think they can take it off your hands for literally nothing and are doing you a favor at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

So I have finally someone who wants my lovely little car...
    I am getting €150 off the asking price which I am happy with.
    They want to pay by cash. So what should I do to ensure the money is real?
    It's €3,300 in cash... Should i do what previous posters said & go straight to the bank & lodge it to ensure it is ok.. Or should I ask for a Bank Draft?

Arrange to meet them at the bank and ask the teller to count and verify the notes before lodging.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Arrange to meet them at the bank and ask the teller to count and verify the notes before lodging.

Sounds good :) Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Start rant/

AARRRGGGGHHHH I HATE SELLING A CAR IN IRELAND!!!

It is so frustrating.

Had a car to sell ... 1 years NCT, 16 years old.... stuck it up for 800... would have let it go for 600 if someone sound turned up. basically giving the thing away, because I didn't think it deserved scraping.

god. Offers of 1-200, a lad telling me a car I'd owned for 16 years had "Defo bin crashed, had da front end wrecked"

Told me he knew because the panels were all slightly different colours. You find me a piece of silver metal and a piece of silver plastic, that have been outside for 16 years and see if there are any the same colour.

"Ah it wants a new clutch that'll be 2 grand at least" honestly where do people get this stuff from?

this is a car at the absolute bottom of the market. Literally the bottom, and I had a fella ask me if I would stand over it for 6 months!!

Here's a tip for buying a car. If you are spending less than a grand in a private sale you are at the bottom of the market! don't expect a brand new car witha warranty!

A fella asked me to put tyres on it!!!!!!

I'm as picky as the next man when buying a used car, but you have to make allowances for what you are spending.

Rant over/

I had the same problem. Some of the offers were crazy! I put it up for 600, which is half of what others were up for but mine had no NCT. The only thing really wrong with it was alignment but I'm still getting offers cause I haven't had good enough internet to take ads down. The highest offer except the one who bought it, was 300 and that was one. The rest were 150-250. If I sold the parts off it, I'd get more... Are there really that many chancers, or do people think they can buy a good running car for a little over scrap money?

galwayspur wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a '03 Megane hatchback which I'm putting up for sale. I see on carzone/donedeal etc that there are a glut of them on there ranging in price from 2700 down to 1000 depending on mileage, seller private or dealer etc. I'm expecting it to take a while to shift, but I want to maximise the amount I get for it as I have had a hell of a lot of work done to it over the past few months. There are still a couple of issues with it (2 window regs) but it sailed through the NCT yesterday.

1.4 Petrol Megane II Dynamique with 149,500 miles on the clock.
    5 door hatchback
    Front/rear fogs
    Electric windows front/rear / pano. sunroof
    Air Con.
    Isofix seats
    Couple of small scrapes on bodywork and one small dent on front bumper.

Fully serviced at 145k including new timing belt/water pump/fan belt.
    New clutch at 143k
    Jan 2014 - brakes/tie rods/new exhaust & hangers/2 x ball joints/alternator pulley
    Re-conditioned key card last week.
    New tyres x 4 & tracking done.
    New boot catch switch.
    New ball joint front left as of this week and CV Boot re-fixed.

NCT until June 2015.

Notes:
    Front passenger window reg not working - not an NCT fail.
    Rear Drivers side window reg not working - not an NCT fail
    Sunroof wiring needs looking at.

Am I mad to think the big mechanics that I've had done should cpoount for something? What would you ask for it? E2000 with a willingness to listen to offers?

Thanks.

Ask 1500 with a hope to getting anything over a grand.

I just sold my car after 2 months.. I would thoroughly recommend Donedeal to sell. Most other sites weren't great. Also the option to Spotlight your ad is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

I had my 00 fiesta up on donedeal for a total of 3 days last week before I got a buyer, sold after 5 days to that buyer. 4 other enquiries. It wasn't mint. It had low mileage and very clean interior but a good few scratches on the outside. 4 new tyres. CV joint was knocking.

the point is if you price it right and make a GOOD AD with all the info (good and bad) it will sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭belgowho

Hoping to get an opinion on a Nissan Almera i've had up on DoneDeal for a couple of weeks (Can't post link as I have under 50 posts).

"NCT due March 2015. It passed NCT this year with no issues apart from tires so purchased 3 brand new tires and one still in good shape.

Great mileage. 2 owners previous to me; 2nd was my uncle, and 1st was a car dealership that made car available for employees. New engine was put in car in 2012 so it could pass NCT. Brand new battery put in past month. Tax is up end of August. Overall its in great condition, a few scratches. Runs very well.

Mileage: 69500 miles

Front air bags, electric windows in front seats. Remote central locking with alarm. Two keys. CD/Radio. Power steering"

Asking for 2K. Any advice at all?

What year is it? Saloon or hatchback?

Sorry, forgot about that. Those details are in link but not in descriptor i copy/pasted. It's a saloon and 04. Thanks.

There are a glut of those Almeras for sale so you just might have to be patient. I'd also set the price to €1950 as opposed to €2k as it can be a psychological thing with people.

bazz26 wrote: »
    There are a glut of those Almeras for sale so you just might have to be patient. I'd also set the price to €1950 as opposed to €2k as it can be a psychological thing with people.

Thanks for the advice. I noticed there was a lot of Almeras for sale but was hoping the low mileage and new engine would give it an edge. Hopefully it will get attention soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Legits

I have an 04 Mondeo 1.8 petrol. It has failed the NCT due to high very high emissions.It has a few scratches to the bodywork but nothing too bad.
    Its taxed till end of the month and has 125k miles.
    IS there any point putting it on done deal?

If I sold it to a cash for cars trader how much can I expect to receive?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Advertisement

500 might be lucky. If the engine is goosed it's probably worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Are there any good guides on selling a car from here to a UK resident (based in UK intending to register it there)?

I'm not so sure on how it works myself, but if you are stuck I can ring a friend who has done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm not so sure on how it works myself, but if you are stuck I can ring a friend who has done it before.

It's nothing urgent, but I am toying with the idea of buying a luxobarge and wondering about my resale options post-waft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Trojan wrote: »
    It's nothing urgent, but I am toying with the idea of buying a luxobarge and wondering about my resale options post-waft.

Simple really. When finished wafting here and you get a sale in the uk for it, you write formally to the dttas in shannon and inform them you sold and exported the vehicle on such and such a date, and give them the date of sale and the new uk owners name and details. Not specifically required but a good arse covering exercise. Also enclose a copy of the vlc as a courtesy.

Send the original vlc with the car to the new owner in the uk.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Simple really. When finished wafting here and you get a sale in the uk for it, you write formally to the dttas in shannon and inform them you sold and exported the vehicle on such and such a date, and give them the date of sale and the new uk owners name and details. Not specifically required but a good arse covering exercise. Also enclose a copy of the vlc as a courtesy.

Send the original vlc with the car to the new owner in the uk.

Job done.

Depending on age of vehicle, I would also book an inspection at the NCT center - if entitled to a rebate that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Carhead75

Great post limerick man..

Just to add - VIDEO is the way to go on this when you say - "The joys of the internet allow us to view a car before we go to see it, albeit not in great detail but it’s a start. “First impressions are everything”"

would you agree/ disagree?

Cheers

Carhead75

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭pavb2

Hi all I have a jan 2010 ford transit, short wheel base for sale total mileage is 500 000 Kms. the engine was replaced about 2 years ago I've no idea what this is worth or what to ask so can anyone help?

Much appreciated

pavb2 wrote: »
    Hi all I have a jan 2010 ford transit, short wheel base for sale total mileage is 500 000 Kms. the engine was replaced about 2 years ago I've no idea what this is worth or what to ask so can anyone help?

Much appreciated

Put it up on donedeal cheap. If it's cheap enough there's a certain group that will buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Put it up on donedeal cheap. If it's cheap enough there's a certain group that will buy it.

Lm, he asked for a number, so lets help him out. 3k is the price imho, but be aware. You will get every sh1tbag and lowballer and bottom feeding creamer breaking your stones on it. So, put up as honest a description and pics as poss. Also set out the terms of sale...like no offers, no texts, no phone offers, and stick to it, as i promise you, the clientelle who seek out these van will wreck your head and take the piss...you control the sale from the outset. Promise yourself that...and stick by it.

Hope that helps

Advertisement