Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money left in ATM machine

• 28-09-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hi.

Not sure where to put this thread.

left a sum of money in an atm machine by mistake, just happened and feel stupid.

after discovering my error i rang the petrol station where i took the money out.

They have it on CCTV.

After I walked away from the atm and left woman in the queue behind me went to use the atm. My cash can be seen in the tray on CCTV.

The woman cannot insert her card because my cash is still there. she sees the cash and takes it out, turns around to look for me outside, walks as far as the door, then turns around and uses the atm herself with her card.

She keeps my cash and leaves without handing in at the till. All of this is on CCTV.

The security guy at the petrol station says he can burn the footage onto a cd.

if i contact the bank operating the atm, explain what happened, time & date etc, footage from cctv, can anything be done about this?

they must know who the woman is since she entered her pin at the atm.

just wondering if i can get my cash back - probably not.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Nothing to do with the bank.

Contact the guards as she stole your money. Bring a copy of the security footage.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They won't be able to give you her details, but I would report it to your local garda station as theft (which it is) and to both your bank, and the bank operating the ATM. If she hadn't taken it, I think most (all?) machines swallow the money back. The over balance would be noted, and you'd probably get a letter back eventually. I got one after 8 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Nothing to do with the bank.

Contact the guards as she stole your money. Bring a copy of the security footage.
    i know it has nothing to do with the bank as it was my own mistake.

i'm wondering if it is possible for the me to establish this woman's identity if i contact the bank that operates the atm or should i go to the guards with the footage. It' a 3 figure sum and wouldn't mind getting it back.

it was a bad mistake on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The bank can't share that woman's identity with you. You will need to go to the Gardaí and seek their advice.

To be honest, I don't know if she "stole" your money, but a Garda can offer an opinion on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭furiousox

Was she in a car?
    If you can get her car reg from the cctv, the guards will locate her easily.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

ATMs are programmed to shallow money that isnt taken. I would report the women. If I found money in an ATM, I would take it. But I would tell the petrol station workers I found money and the owner can call me. I wouldnt trust the workers in the petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Has no one considered the possibility that the woman has already handed the money into a Garda station in the hope that the rightful owner would come to retrieve it there?

furiousox wrote: »
    Was she in a car?
    If you can get her car reg from the cctv, the guards will locate her easily.
    good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

update.

went to the local garda station to ask if a sum of money had been handed in today. Nothing handed in.

Told them the details, said cctv had captured everything in colour, crystal clear, and that petrol station security is willing to burn footage onto cd. I must ask if the woman was driving and if so did they capture a reg plate.

Guard basically said nothing they could do. Couldn't believe his response, seemed to suggest **** happens. yeah i know that, but you are the police and this is your job. i'm going to get the cd burned and go back to the guards again.

can't let this go now, the sum isn't relevant but the guards response is and the woman's actions are too. Ultimately she has money in her possession that isn't hers, knew it wasn't hers when she took it from the atm, didn't hand it in, didn't leave contact details at the petrol station and left with it.

she didn't find money on the street, she took it from an atm machine, knowing it wasn't hers, then didn't hand it in at local garda station. i also asked at a shop and off license next door if money had been handed in. nope.

or am i to ring every garda station in the country and ask if a middle aged woman fitting the description from the cctv hand in a sum of money per chance?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Its not theft you left your money there by mistake same if you had left a wallet full of cash on a table its not theft its finders keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What does this cover? finding money on the street?

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Its not theft you left your money there by mistake same if you had left a wallet full of cash on a table its not theft its finders keepers.

No, no its not!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

ha ha for being such a fool i hope she had a great weekend outta it nice one well done

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

The bank can't give you her identity.

But the gards, by speaking to the bank, the petrol station and viewing the footage should be well able to work out who she is using her account information.

The machine may have swallowed your money. Extra money left in the machine is counted regularly. I once used a machine that didn't give me my money. It got stuck. I contacted the bank to see if it had been taken from the account. It had been. They verified that the amount I stated was left at the end of the day. Then they credited my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I'm baffled as to how someone can just walk off leaving a 3 figure sum sticking out of the ATM.

You say the lady went to the door looking for you? To me that should be enough. As said by another poster I wouldn't trust the people in the shop to return it. Expecting the woman to go out of her way to drop it to the Guards is asking a bit much, she DID go looking for you after all.

Still can't understand how someone can just leave that much sticking out of the ATM though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is absolutely no legal concept of "finders keepers". Life isn't controlled by 7 year olds.

The story the people in the shop told you sounds wierd.

If I found money. I would bring it to the counter and make them take it from me.

I would never walk off the premises with someone elses money precisely because I don't want to be responsible for it and I don't want to be accused of theft.

Would she not have left it with them if she spoke to them at all.

• Advertisement

The story the people in the shop told you sounds wierd.

If I found money. I would bring it to the counter and make them take it from me.

I would never walk off the premises with someone elses money precisely because I don't want to be responsible for it and I don't want to be accused of theft.

Would she not have left it with them if she spoke to them at all.

she is shown on camera walking out without approaching the till which is at the other end of the shop, the exit door is right next to the atm.

i heard a story on radio recently ago about a german tourist couple who found an envelope containing a lot of money in the carpark of an hotel in the midlands recently.

they handed it in to the hotel reception. the hotel immediately contacted the guards and national radio in a bid to find the owner who happened to be an american lady who had stayed in the hotel.

i was impressed by the owner of the hotel who went to such lengths to find the owner but more so by the honesty of the german tourists.

honesty still counts for something. you never know you might benefit from it or by it some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Brylee Easy Mathematics

I don't know where you got that drivel from. It is certainly theft by finding - which is on the Irish statute books. Finder keepers has no legal standing whatsoever.

The Gardai are well aware of this. OP go back to the barrack and ask for an inspector. They have to pursue this as theft if she did not hand it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@sensormatic - please post constructively or don't post at all.

dudara

who_ru wrote: »

honesty still counts for something. you never know you might benefit from it or by it some time.

What is this bit supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭trellheim

As far as I can tell you don't have rights to the CCTV footage, you could be anybody on a blurry screen. Data Protection would take a dim view. Chalk this one down to experience OP if the cops don't want to get involved.

trellheim wrote: »
    As far as I can tell you don't have rights to the CCTV footage, you could be anybody on a blurry screen. Data Protection would take a dim view. Chalk this one down to experience OP if the cops don't want to get involved.

Ha ha. Ya that's great advice.

The footage is owned by the garage, they can give it to the op or whoever they want.

Just because the op came across a lazy unhelpful guard today, doesn't mean when they go back to complain to the sargeant they won't be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The financial institution whose ATM it is should be able to identify from transaction records some details of the customer who followed you, and that can be used in conjunction with her own bank to establish who she is.

They cannot do that for OP, but I am sure that they can do it for the Gardaí.

trellheim wrote: »
    the footage is in full colour and crystal clear, nothing blurry about it. the camera is placed about a foot over the door and has the woman's face in full view when she turns around holding the cash in her hand.

what's data protection got to do with anything?. i don't want her bank acc number or access to her phone or laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭dubrov

Sad that the guard you talked to was too lazy to do anything as they saw it as minor and not worth their time.
    Very common in my experience.

Out of principle alone I would chase this up.
    If you hassle them enough they will chase it up to get you off their back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement