Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asthma

• 23-03-2009 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Where are we with asthma in 2009 what research is being done I know from statistics men get it twice as much as women. I would like to know

1. What inhaler are you using
    2. Have you been hospitalised with Asthma
    3. Have you any tips, diet etc that help asthma
    4. Hair colour and eye colour

Thanks this is Just from my curiosity not a real questionaire

Me
    1. Ventolin
    2. Yes
    3. Cows Milk Cheeze , caffeine
    4. Fair Blue

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Boilerbad wrote: »
    Where are we with asthma in 2009 what research is being done I know from statistics men get it twice as much as women. I would like to know

Me
    1. Ventolin
    2. Yes
    4. Fair Blue

Get the caffeine thing but don't they recommend people with asthma should avoid cows milk and cheese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

1. None.
    2. Yes, for two ****ty days.
    3. Eating less often. Even if it's three meals of rubbish a day i feel better than grazing on good and bad food all day. Other than that, avoiding quick changes in air type, like humidity or temperature, can't do saunas/steamrooms.
    4. Blue, can be anything from greenish-blue to sky blue to almost pure grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Boilerbad

Locamon wrote: »
    Get the caffeine thing but don't they recommend people with asthma should avoid cows milk and cheese?

Not by any GPs I have been to or Consultants its steriods or nothing for them at 80 euro an inhaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oheilis

1. Seretide and occasional Ventolin
    2. No thankfully.
    3. None that I'm aware of.
    4. Dark hair and green eyes. Why does that matter?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

amacachi wrote: »
    1. None.
    2. Yes, for two ****ty days.
    3. Eating less often. Even if it's three meals of rubbish a day i feel better than grazing on good and bad food all day. Other than that, avoiding quick changes in air type, like humidity or temperature, can't do saunas/steamrooms.
    4. Blue, can be anything from greenish-blue to sky blue to almost pure grey.

No edit button for that post. :confused: Forgot to say I'm blonde. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You might be interested to know of a study that took place in trinity college some time ago. I never ot to hear the results but i worked on the the collection team so I know the study was ongoing

The team was researching toxoplasmosis(sorry if miss spell) its essentially a bug a dog picks up through no fault of his own and then excreats through his sh1t. People that then roll around in the sh1t pick it up on their hands and the bug gets into the human body. You get the jist.

Early symptons presented astima like signs. In some cases the bug went on to cause damage to people.Astma and blindness

Now I am not telling you this to scare the be jasus out of you that your astima might not be asthma. The doctors usually spot this. I am telling you cause I might be worth looking into the research and its conclusions, especially if you live on a farm and have developed astma

For further information contact the zoooligy dept in trinity college

---- Sorry this research was conducted in 1994 - 1996 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Boilerbad

Interesting I will get on to them

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

1. Ventolin
    2. No
    3. No specific diet tips but I did start running regularily about 4 yrs ago & lost about 2.5 stone which had a dramatic effect on my asthma. I used to need to take a Beclazone inhaler regularily also but no longer need it now. I'm convinced the running strengthed my lungs & was directly responsible for the dramatic improvement in my condition. I used to suffer bad atacks when doing any physical exercise & as a result shyed away from anything too physically demanding which I now believe contributed to making my condition even worse. Then 1 day while watching Paula Radcliffe (World record holder for the quickest marathon) running I heard the commentator mention that she has suffered with asthma since she was in her teens. So I thought fook this - bought a good pair of running shoes - hit the road & my condition improved dramatically over a short period of time.
    4. Brown, Blue/Green/Grey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

1. Pulmicorf (brown one at night and blue one before sports)
    2. No, but doctorised a few times ;)
    3. Become as fit as you can - reduce dust in your bedroom (get wooden floors, keep storage of books to a minimum.
    4. Red/Brown hair and blue eyes. Very attractive.

Paul Scholes and various other sports people have asthma so don't ever let it prevent you from playing sports or anything else you want to do in life guys. Just keep it under control and you'll be grand. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Me
    1. Ventolin
    2. Yes
    4. Fair Blue

1. beclazone 200 , two puffs every morning an evening without fail , ventolin when i have a chest infection which is once a year on average
    2. no
    4. brown , blue

i cannot run fast for very long or im panting like a dog , im also alergic to dust although i dont have hay fever per say
    wooden floors are much better than carpets for asthma sufferers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

1. Beclazone & Ventolin when required...
    2. Never been Hospitalised as a result of the condition
    3. Try to stay away from dairy products / Chocolate.
    4. Hair colour Dark - Eye colour Green (hint of brown)

I find that physical training really helps. Even though it is hard to get fit as a result of poor lung capacity but training will improve this...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I'd agree with the advice on the wooden floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Didn't realise that men outnumbered women by 2:1 as asthma sufferers

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I know this is a hugely necro thread but for me:

1. Ventolin as needed and Seretide 500 preventative (so f***ing expensive, but I think there's a generic due out in the next year or so).
    2. Only hospitalised once, when I was about 16.I was on two "immediate action" inhalers and no preventative, so had a monster attack and ended up in St. Vincent's hospital for 4 days.
    3. Bizarrely, the smell of fish being cooked, or anything with egg in it being cooked (e.g. pancakes) sets me off. Cut grass also. Nothing dietary really affects my asthma.
    4. I've brown hair and blue eyes, but I was very blond when I was a kid.

To add, I've also got eczema, which often comes in with asthma, two for one bargain :p. This causes me much bigger issues than my asthma, as once I take the inhalers, I'm usually fine. I'm almost 40 now, and bar the triggers mentioned above, asthma doesn't really cause me any problems. I played badminton for years and took up running a couple of years ago, I got through a half marathon this year and I don't think I needed the Ventolin at all (and if I did, it was probably in my head more so than physically).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

1. Seretide (250? - Purple one).
    2. No.
    3. Alcohol. If i've been on a weekender, it tends to flare up.
    4. Brown hair (what's left!) green/grey eyes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No asthma myself but my son is on inhalers and I find it surprising the amount of guys that posted up earlier on brown / steroid inhalers. I thought they weren't generally a long term thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

1)Decided nothing actually worked, the steroid just made the phlegm in my lungs thicker.
    2)No
    3)No
    4)Brown hair, green eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

1.symbicort
    2.yes
    3.no
    4.brown blue.

find swimming excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

No asthma myself but my son is on inhalers and I find it surprising the amount of guys that posted up earlier on brown / steroid inhalers. I thought they weren't generally a long term thing?

AFAIK the brown inhaler is the long term one i.e. preventative and the other, blue, is the emergency one. My wife and both sons suffer from asthma about twenty years ago. None of them now use any inhalers. Ditto my nephew who hasn't had a problem with asthmas for twenty years now but had problems for ten years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BOD2

Have any of you tried Salt Therapy for your asthma?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Total zombie thread but anyway, what on earth has the hair and eye colour thing got to do with it? There some association between that and asthma?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

BOD2 wrote: »
    Have any of you tried Salt Therapy for your asthma?

I have. I've also used a dehumidifier in house. Neither of which was very effective. Can't beat the inhalers (unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭gifted

Red hair and now bald...have asthma since a very young child...now 45....as a child used take a small pink tablet, it was useless, then got a rotahaler..jesus it was brilliant, pop a ventilation capsule up the back of it and twist and attack gone, then ventolin inhaler and for last 3/4 years a seretide 250 ...take a puff in the morning and just before bed and no attacks whatsoever..brilliant

Advertisement